Thread: Camping in Europe

Default Camping in Europe

Hi

Iím taking a slow drive to Venice with the family this summer and want to stop at a good number of sites along the way.

Does anyone know of any decent campsites, next to a lake or river, that will allow me to give the canoe a dip?

My intended route is the Michelin Guide recommended via:

Dunkirk---Luxembourg---Strasbourg---Lucerne----Como---north of Milan---south of Garda---Venice.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    Campsites on Water - Touch the river to sample the last that has gone and that which is to follow.

Default Travel through Europe

We travel down to Garda each year for easy family camping holiday so have done the route a few times.
    The route we take is the direct across France, into Switzerland at Basel and then down to Italy via San Gottard crossing into Italy at Como.

For the stop in Italy, I would go direct down from Como and stop on the SE of Lake Garda. Try http://www.campinglido.it/ for a fairly easy going campsite. They have everything you need including lake access. Plus if you are going to push on further it has the advantage of providing a decent break where you re-stock, clean up and get yourselves ready to push on.

For a stop in Switzerland have a look at the Hospental/Andermatt area. I have not paddled there but it is up in the mountains but just of the main N-S route. Plus you do not have to travel through the San Gottard tunnel. If you want a proper camp site then Andermatt will be your choice, for hotel or guest house go for Hospental. But if you push on past Hospental there are some stunning little places to pull off the road and camp (not sure on legality but have never been any trouble for me).
    You donít say if you have done the route before but get things like the Swiss vignette before you travel to save time at the border crossing points. Get a Nationwide current account as they do not charge for withdrawals in Europe. If you have your canoe on top of your car and it overhangs there are the normal checks for each country on legislation on sigs/marking the overhang etc.
    Any specific questions please just ask.

Default thanks

Thanks so much rbd70

We've been to Garda before, but we came in from the north, through Germany and Austria. Haven't done this route before.

I'll look to book http://www.campinglido.it/ - (do you go direct or through agents like Caravan Club/Canvas?)

Will check out Andermatt too, but will give the wild camping a miss as wife and daughter get nervous when things go bump in the night!

Much thanks again for all the other good advice. Will let you know how we get on.

Steve
    Campsites on Water - Touch the river to sample the last that has gone and that which is to follow.

Book direct with Camping Lido - you will get a pdf document back as confirmation. They do not normally take bookings for the summer until the new year and specifiy any thing extra you want. They can provide a fridge to your pitch on day of arrival and the costs include electricty. Really good site.

We have come down through Germany before but still crossed at Basel and down that way. An alternative is to stop short of the German-Austrian boader in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. There are plenty of lakes in the area and some good rivers depending on what you are after. Plus there is the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain) which is a 2 day trek or a quick but fairly pricy train trip up to the top mountain station. Garmisch has a good website for info.

Anything else that comes to mind or I get asked I will post here so it can be used as a quick guide for others.

Roy

Book direct with Camping Lido - you will get a pdf document back as confirmation. They do not normally take bookings for the summer until the new year and specifiy any thing extra you want. They can provide a fridge to your pitch on day of arrival and the costs include electricty. Really good site.

We have come down through Germany before but still crossed at Basel and down that way. An alternative is to stop short of the German-Austrian boader in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. There are plenty of lakes in the area and some good rivers depending on what you are after. Plus there is the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain) which is a 2 day trek (group, weather and time of year dependant) or a quick but fairly pricy train trip up to the top mountain station. Garmisch has a good website for info, but is a great place to explore there area from.
    Also if coming down from Germany consider Oberstdorf (great ski jump events during winter) but can be used as a base for exploring the Allgau area of southern Germany. Plenty of lakes and good rives to explore. Also some 'wider' interest things to keep the remainder of the family on side!

Anything else that comes to mind or I get asked I will post here so it can be used as a quick guide for others.

Roy
    Last edited by rbd70; 29th-November-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks again Roy,

I may look to go home the German route you suggest. I've emailed Lido Camping asking for more info. The cost for six nights came out about 240 euros for six nights, which is comparable with Caravan Club in UK during peak season.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rbd70 View Post
    Get a Nationwide current account as they do not charge for withdrawals in Europe.
    Not any more, I believe - they charge too since a few months ago.
    Damien

Have not kept up to date on Nationwide but this summer Europe was still free.
    The vast majority of countries external to Europe were chargable before this summer, but European locations remained free. I never got charged for cash withdrawals and debit card transactions on my Nationwide card this summer.

There are other option to reduce the overall cost of card usage in Europe. We used our Tesco card, whilst we got billed for the transactions we recouped an element of our losses in clubcard points. These points were then transfered to Airmiles which paid for out channel crossing this summer (only cash charge to us was £8 booking fee, which went on the same Tesco card which again recouped part of the cost back).

Will have to look into Nationwide again for next summer. Could always travel with my cash stuffed under the metaphorical matress! I am gettting slight off thread here so will shut up and get on with my work! LOL

Roy