Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gallery of home made canoes

Cheating a bit as the canoe is "home-made" on a Birchcanoes 3 day canoe building course. So maybe more hand-made than home made.

Simple and effective design, that was great fun to make and greater fun to paddle.

Well done Sir, a thing of beauty indeed
    ATB Bri

Finally got it done. Haven't checked if it floats yet, but I will next weekend.

Looks a lovely boat and a high quality build.

Yep, that is really beautiful!

It's a beauty, well done, let's have some pics of the launch when you get it wet.

Snowshoe 12 by Steven, on Flickr

Snowshoe 12 by Steven, on Flickr

This is my current steed: a skin on frame of Platt Monfort design. Stringers are Tasmanian Ash, ribs steam bent Western Red Cedar, skin dacron. Weighs in at 6.8kg (about 15lb). All my paddling is flat water (so far) so this works really well, I'm kinda hooked on the lightweight skin on frame and have just ordered another set of plans from GAboats - the "Ebenezer 11" a rowing boat.

Oh, these pics taken on Lake Manapouri, South Is, NZ.

Beautiful creation sir
    Waiting to get wet !!

Beautiful canoe!

Here is my 12' x 30", to my own design. 4mm ply with some glass, Kevlar and carbon comes in at 12 kg before I added the seat and buoyancy bags. No fancy finish here more work boat style so I am not over precious and she gets plenty of use.
    Last edited by Tink; 5th-June-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Just finished.

http://www.capriceowners.info/Hazlenut.htm

I don't see how to add a pic like everyone else seems to have been able to!
    Last edited by Suwannee; 21st-November-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee View Post
    Just finished.

http://www.capriceowners.info/Hazlenut.htm

I don't see how to add a pic like everyone else seems to have been able to!
    Might have found a way, but now it won't let me edit or delete the original post.

I give up!

Nice paint job.

You need to link to the photos url address, instructions in "Forum hints and tips". Cant post link easily from my phone due to ineptness.

Thanks Mal

If you post via the Tapatalk app you can post the picture straight in, it is MUCH easier

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    If you post via the Tapatalk app you can post the picture straight in, it is MUCH easier
    Not really au fait with apps, but thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the help but just can't do it

I right clicked on the image, and copied the image address. Then came back to here, clicked on the little "Insert Image" item above the text entry box (piccy of a tree), and pasted said image address into the pop up box. That did the job.

Full instructions are here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...758#post220758

Thanks Mal ..... saved me from asking the grandchildren

Meanwhile there's a pint of Adnam's Real Ale with your name on it in Southwold next time you're up this way.

Cheers (crawling quietly back under the third log on the left on the advice of my shrink).

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee View Post
    Thanks Mal ..... saved me from asking the grandchildren

Meanwhile there's a pint of Adnam's Real Ale with your name on it in Southwold next time you're up this way.

Cheers (crawling quietly back under the third log on the left on the advice of my shrink).
    Ooh, I do like a pint of Admans

No probs mate, its a common problem for folk to grapple with.

21. Lightbulb Classic Kayak building kit going spare......

Hello All...
    I am very glad to have found this forum!
    I lost my father in law last year (not to canoeing I must add!) and have inherited, amongst all sorts of lost treasures, a full kit for making a Kayel Kayak Touring Double Mk 2, designed by Ken Littledyke (a sea kayak I believe?).
    It appears that he bought it in 1983 and it has the instructions for making, as well as extra parts (rudder with foot controls, splash covers, 2 seats etc).
    He had always intended to make it and so kept in its box, unopened during a couple of house moves.
    We now live in the Midlands - as far from the sea as it is possible to get. I would love for it to have the home it deserves and for someone to be able to finally fulfil its purpose by making it and enjoying it.
    Does anyone here know anyone who might want it or be able to point me in the right direction to find it a good home?
    Appreciate any thoughts, advice or links.

Good luck with this - someone will want it!
    Unfortunately I can't help further - no room for more boats at present and I have now got into restoring old boats rather than making new.
    Sam

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by samB View Post
    Good luck with this - someone will want it!
    Unfortunately I can't help further - no room for more boats at present and I have now got into restoring old boats rather than making new.
    Sam
    Thanks
    I do hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Tails-it-is View Post
    Thanks
    I do hope so!
    You could try wooden boat forum, I could post on you behalf if you don't want to join.

25. Default

I have just had a look and it would be great if you could post a note on there for me. And perhaps a link to this thread?
    Very much appreciated Tink.
    All the best,
    Tails

26. Default

This is now on ebay here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3022690663...84.m1558.l2649
    if anyone wants to have a look or forward to anyone that might want it.
    Cheers,

27. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jul1 View Post
    Finally got it done. Haven't checked if it floats yet, but I will next weekend.

Absolutely incredible work!

My Fisher Prospector:

Stewart River Unity with glass/epoxy instead of canvas:

Ribs: yellow cedar
    Planks: two tones of red cedar
    Deck plates: Cherry
    Gunnels, thwarts, seat: ash (thwarts and seat are from a different batch and much lighter in color)
    1.1 kg of copper tacks

A stunning result, well done. You will have to add extra time for your trips as I'm sure people will be stopping you to ask all about it every time you're in company!
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    A stunning result, well done. You will have to add extra time for your trips as I'm sure people will be stopping you to ask all about it every time you're in company!
    Good excuse for another cup of tea.

I already noticed a lot of heads turning when I drove by with the canoe on my car last weekend. I never noticed that with any of my other canoes.
    But then: maybe I'm just more sensitive to notice that kind of attention when I have this canoe with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Good excuse for another cup of tea.

I already noticed a lot of heads turning when I drove by with the canoe on my car last weekend. I never noticed that with any of my other canoes.
    But then: maybe I'm just more sensitive to notice that kind of attention when I have this canoe with me.
    Its the bits falling off it as you drive Erik...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Its the bits falling off it as you drive Erik...
    NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Brings back memories... Been keen for decades on building a stitch-and-tape canoe, finally bought plans from Selway Fisher for a 13' 9" Christine, bought timber from a local boatbuilder. Spent a winter building it in my unheated, uncomfortable garage! Have to say I was delighted it turned out well: the pic** shows our first test, on a neighbour's pool, and she floated dead level and upright, with a single pinhole leak I had missed with the epoxy. My idea was that my son (about 13 then) and I would go paddling around S.Devon rivers & estuaries - but shortly thereafter he started doing so much stuff with friends that this idea fell flat, and the canoe was just too big & heavy for me to car-top it alone. We Managed sessions on the Thames, Langorse Lake, and Bow Creek (on the Dart) but that was it... Sold it - for a good price, but reluctantly! Would love to build another - unless anyone has an Old Town Pack for sale? I'm in S.Devon.
    rgds Tony
    **I'm following the advice to use a URL since apparently I can't just upload from my HD but even this doesn't work - I opened a new DropBox folder and uploaded an image. Pity. Will try again in another thread perhaps.
    Last edited by Piscator; 14th-February-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: picture didn't appear...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345