Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gallery of home made canoes

Default Moana 17

A lot of beautiful boats , all worthy of the praise and admiration bestowed upon them but Moana is an absolute stunner to me. Aching pride whilst paddling her I'm sure.

Dugout 1958 with little brother in it.

Only cardboard duct tape and plastic sheeting allowed in this boat building contest.

Home design 10.6"

Home design 15' 6"
    Dr. Joe
    Electric Hospital
    Coos Bay Or
    http://electrichospital.com

Selway Fisher Wren

A great shooting platform

Easy and cheap to build, great for the younger ones to paddle

Tomo

Default launched july 11 2010

Newton Abbot, Torbay, United Kingdom, 103143073059704, Newton Abbot

I'm in love.....
    "there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"

Too good, absolute beauty.

Who's design, your own?

Terho
    Only shared knowledge can grow.

Default Selway Fisher 12' 6" motor canoe

Here is my new toy - just back from her first trip, four days on the Thames from Reading to Teddington. Some paddling but mostly rowing. I slept on board under a cover made from a pop-up tent and with two plastic pipe outriggers. A couple of short ply boards laid over the hull bracing gave me a dry and comfy full-length berth at night. The outriggers made her VERY stable, were useful fenders and also meant the gin palaces might just spot her and steer around late at night...

Some time later..... After lots of mucking about with Flickr it seems I can't post the images here after all. If anyone is interested you can find them on my Flickr pages: www.flickr.com/photos/gw5458

Last edited by KeithD; 25th-September-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Helping with photos

Quote Originally Posted by gw5458 View Post
    Here is my new toy - just back from her first trip, four days on the Thames from Reading to Teddington
    Brilliant!!

Can you set it up from the boat, or do you have to get out to set it up?
    Last edited by KeithD; 25th-September-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Needless duplication
    ----------------
    “When one rows, it is not the rowing which moves the ship: rowing is only a magical ceremony by means of which one compels a demon to move the ship.” - Nietzsche

Many thanks to KeithD for posting the photos for me - much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Oarsnpaddle View Post
    Brilliant!!

Can you set it up from the boat, or do you have to get out to set it up?
    It can all be set up from the boat but it is easier to do it from the bank. The tent cover is held in place by very tight bungees at either end and fits in place very fast - under a minute. The tent is also tied down to the gunwales at a couple of points. The outriggers are fastened to the oars with short lengths of 10mm threaded rod. The oars are then tied down to screw eyes in the gunwales. That is the more fiddly bit that is easier to do from outside the tent

Thanks for the answer.

The reason I asked was because if it's possible to set it up from the boat, it is also possible to take it down from the boat, should you become adrift and need to row back to dry land.

It really looks neat, it does, and it avoids problems of pitching a tent where camping isn't allowed.

Hmm, I wonder if my "carved" carrying yoke would suffice as a make-shift pontoon in combination with my oars, or if I can even make something similar as you have done, since my gunwales have quite a lot of curvature.

You have inspired me! Thank you so much!
    ----------------
    “When one rows, it is not the rowing which moves the ship: rowing is only a magical ceremony by means of which one compels a demon to move the ship.” - Nietzsche

Let this be a warning to you. It really is best to look at some plans ,take advice, spend time in thought, have a good look at other people's boats and even take a wood-working course.

It is probably not good to look at a picture in a book and think ",I can make one of them with the stuff in that skip down the road ".

Enthusiasm just about compensated lack of boat-building and design skills but it was close . The next one will be better(possibly) and it will be a foot or so shorter so it will hang-up in the hall and double as a lamp-shade .....

At least it got you out on the water (I hope)
    ----------------

At least it got you out on the water (I hope)

Thanks for not mentioning the humungeous "Rocker". We live and learn . Turns on sixpence though .*

* for the benefit of younger readers ,a sixpence was a similar size to a farthing ....

Here is my very first effort . A slightly modified "Cheap Canoe " pictured on the maiden voyage "somewhere" (the council officials all knock-off at four on a Friday ) on the Arun.
    I look quite pleased to find it floats !

I like that. It's very dory-like. Now, get some rowlocks and oars on that thing and you're good to go!
    ----------------

I like that. It's very dory-like. Now, get some rowlocks and oars on that thing and you're good to go!
    A friend -a far more experienced paddler than me and a lot braver- took it down the tidal stretch and really had it moving .

Quote Originally Posted by Tinca View Post
    Here is my very first effort . A slightly modified "Cheap Canoe " pictured on the maiden voyage "somewhere" (the council officials all knock-off at four on a Friday ) on the Arun.
    I look quite pleased to find it floats !
    What can I say...

It looks o.k. does what it is supposed to do And I dare say your have as much enjoyment out of it as another person that spends over a grand on an item that does the same.

Enjoy it.

Default My new Pal

Based on the Chestnut Pal but deepened slightly to give better carrying capacity and launched for the first time in August this year.

Hand crafted in the Eden Valley, Cumbria

absolutely beautiful canoe Caibach!
    Aust.canoe

Quote Originally Posted by caibach View Post
    Based on the Chestnut Pal but deepened slightly to give better carrying capacity and launched for the first time in August this year.

Absolutely love it!!!.....want one..... Like a cross between a stripper and a cedar Canvas....take it that the outside is coloured gel coat?....did you do a build blog?
    You are to be congratulated.....that is a thing of beauty.
    Now all the gear but still no idea.

Thanks guys!

Woody, its interesting you should describe it as like a cross between a wood/canvas canoe and a woodstrip. I worked as a wood/canvas canoe builders apprentice out in America and when we came back here I wanted to try building with the woodstrip technique. Right from the start I wanted a painted hull with a beautiful wooden interior, much like a w/c canoe. I'm really pleased with the results and she paddles beautifully but my next canoe will be wood/canvas, mainly because I much prefer the build process and the heritage of these canoes.

When I finish my next canoe I'll probably sell this one along with our other wood/canvas canoes, really must down size our fleet!

Thanks for your interest,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by caibach View Post
    Thanks guys!

Woody, its interesting you should describe it as like a cross between a wood/canvas canoe and a woodstrip. I worked as a wood/canvas canoe builders apprentice out in America and when we came back here I wanted to try building with the woodstrip technique. Right from the start I wanted a painted hull with a beautiful wooden interior, much like a w/c canoe. I'm really pleased with the results and she paddles beautifully but my next canoe will be wood/canvas, mainly because I much prefer the build process and the heritage of these canoes.

When I finish my next canoe I'll probably sell this one along with our other wood/canvas canoes, really must down size our fleet!

Thanks for your interest,
    Tim
    I am new to open canoeing (Kayaks 30 years ago) I've just bought an OT Pack to mess around in...but I definately aspire to a Wood & Canvas.....love the look inside and the practicality outside.....Cedar Strip canoes are works of art but I always think that it would break my heart to get a scratch on the outside spoiling the look.....what you have produced here is for me the best of both worlds.......when you decide you want to get rid of the old tub push me a PM and I'll take it off your hands....or in fact one of your cedar & canvas.....a PM sent now would be met with extreme interest!
    regards...Woody123
    Now all the gear but still no idea.

PM sent

Default 14' "cheap canoe" pirogue

This building business is very addictive. I enjoyed making my 12' 6" motor canoe this August so much that I thought I'd add something a little lighter to the fleet for day trips or occasional overnight camping. No problem to pick up and carry this one singlehanded. I used free plans downloaded from bateau.com. Hard to think of a much simpler, faster or cheaper boat to build. 4mm exterior ply apart from the decks and bulkheads which are 6mm ply left over from the last build. The bottom and a couple of inches of the sides are fibreglassed. I was going to paint it green but I liked the pine / red oxide primer combination so much that I ended up just varnishing over it To keep the centre of gravity low down I've made a seat / kneeling platform with a thick foam pad which should keep my backside 3" or so above the damp floor.

Edits a couple of minutes later: still not able to post images. Can't work out why :-( If anyone is interested you can find them via the links below or in my Flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gw5458/...7625173757404/

http://cid-8a6de785f7a77167.photos.l...omys/angle.jpg
    http://cid-8a6de785f7a77167.photos.l...mys/right2.jpg
    http://cid-8a6de785f7a77167.photos.l...mys/bottom.jpg
    Last edited by gw5458; 16th-October-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Problem posting images

Having another attempt at posting the photos - fingers crossed...

Still not working then :-(
    Last edited by gw5458; 17th-October-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Photos not displaying

Third time lucky?

Seems not! - think I'll give up on the pic-posting business and go walk the dog instead...
    Last edited by gw5458; 17th-October-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Still can't work the pic posting tool!

Think I've got it now

And her first splash today in the Neath canal at Resolven lock - very tippy but at least the water stayed outside the hull!

Lots af nice canoes. But why arent there any clinker built ones?.

Quote Originally Posted by Andresico View Post
    Lots af nice canoes. But why arent there any clinker built ones?.
    Can't speak for anyone else - my own main reason for not going for clinker built would be that I do not have the woodworking skills to make a half-decent job of it. With more simple 'stitch and tape' designs I can at least make something that floats....

Trust me, I have done both and clinker or lapstrake is not more complicated. Its just different.
    Besides that, I like your pirogue and the photo with all the leaves is very nice.

Default There's now't like home reared canoes

My 6th self built canoe - they just keep breeding in the garage.

The red gel coat has the look of flames over the outer carbon kevlar hull, whilst the inside is black carbon. The last canoe I breed was an all black.

Pickeringpaddler a proud member of the Yorkshire canoe breeders association.

This is Dora, 12' x 27", buit with one sheet of 3mm marine ply, 1/4 sheet of 1/4" ply, one red cedar plank and a few bits and pieces. painted with small, varnished decks and a cedar/pine seat, all wood - even the hinge of the folding back - except for the brass stem strip. She's what a US paddler would call a lost pond boat. I don't have any pictures of her wet as I'm a lone paddler. She was launched Spring 2008. She is my own design; the story of her design evolution is on on my blog at http://theancientkayaker.weebly.com/

Note: the darkended area near the bow is my canera - not the boat!
    Terry Haines

Boats are like rabbits: you can have one or many, but not two - A. Onassis

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Close

Great looking canoe by the way
    Beautifull.Makes my Stormbringer(pirogue) look like a bath tub.

Default Birchcanoes Lakota

Hi everyone
    I have been building canoes since 1993, making lots of mistakes and hopefully learning from them. We eventually developed the Lakota canoe, just 3 years ago, and have made about 10 of them each year since then, on courses I run in our riverside workshops. People who come to build their own canoes with me have come from all walks of life, but they have all found the experience immensely rewarding.

If you have been dreaming about building your own canoe but lack the space, the tools, the confidence or the plans to complete your own canoe, you might want to have a look at my website, www.birchcanoes.com .

On the other hand, if you are a confident self builder with space and materials to hand, my website might give you some ideas, and you are most welcome to contact me to discuss methods.

The important thing is to seize the day, build that canoe, If you look for a happy person, you will find them building a boat ! Summer will soon be here, the river will soon thaw, and those lovely waterways will beckon once again

John

http://www.birchcanoes.com

www.birchcanoes.com
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 10th-April-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Default Photo

Failed to load the photo last time, hoping this will work better ...

John

www.birchcanoes.com

Default Build a Birchcanoes Lakota in Three Days

Just to mention that our courses take just 3 days.. everyone leaves with a completed canoe they are immensely proud of.

We build the canoes with hand tools, the panels are sawn out using Japanese pull saws, and finished using old restored Stanley No 4 planes. We have rehearsed the method over and over, and it is great to see novice woodworkers complete beautiful canoes with the best of them.

A great project for a family, whether you come to us or build a canoe at home. Children very much enjoy taking part, and the process is quick enough so they can see the progress and maintain their interest.

Our riverside workshop has an open-air section making the whole process a joy in good weather.

A great canoe for the family:

This is me taking a Lakota canoe out on the sea ( not its natural habitat!):

Default More photos of the Birchcanoes Lakota

These canoes just weigh around 26 kg or so, you can easily carry them single handed:

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    Hi guys
    heres a piccie of my first go
    cheers zeb
    alot like my Stormbringer,looks good

Default stormbringer

Own design,home built.I didn't have the skills for anything more complex.Very stable and a huge load carrier.

Lovely , isn't it special to paddle your own home designed canoe ? Nothing like it.
    Well done.

Here are a couple of my recently launched SF Prospecor
    Bob

That is a lovely boat, beautifully finished, and clearly a joy for the whole family.
    If you look for a happy person you will find them building a canoe!

Canoe building courses in my riverside workshop at www.birchcanoes.com

Default Stormbringer

Quote Originally Posted by jclohesy View Post
    Lovely , isn't it special to paddle your own home designed canoe ? Nothing like it.
    Well done.
    Yes it is.Very satisfying.

Nice Pole lathe

Quote Originally Posted by jclohesy View Post

SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo-hawk View Post
    Selway Fisher Wren

[

A great shooting platform

Easy and cheap to build, great for the younger ones to paddle

Tomo
    Hello Tomo hawk. Is this bow fishing you practice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinca View Post
    Let this be a warning to you. It really is best to look at some plans ,take advice, spend time in thought, have a good look at other people's boats and even take a wood-working course.

It is probably not good to look at a picture in a book and think ",I can make one of them with the stuff in that skip down the road ".

Enthusiasm just about compensated lack of boat-building and design skills but it was close . The next one will be better(possibly) and it will be a foot or so shorter so it will hang-up in the hall and double as a lamp-shade .....
    Hello Tinca, well done your SOF canoe.
    When observing your SOF canoe, am I wrong to see some desing lines of some plywood canoe(s) in your concept.

Catumandos,

no not bow fishing though I have a good friend who does from his canoe, and last week my son and I went to a local harbour with our canoe( Ohiwa ) and speared a couple Flounder ( flat fish , Sole ? ), but a bow could be a good option , this is done at night with spot light

My son and I had a camp for four days last winter and set up a target range along the shore line (we were the only ones at the camp , and it is only accessable by boat , so very safe )

we took turns to paddle while the other shot , then did some solo paddle then shoot runs )

blogg link here
    ,http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ermal-Hot-Spot
    I did shoot a couple of possums and a wallaby , which we skinned and cured the skins . The possum fibre my wife can mix with merino wool for knitting .
    apparently the possum fibre is similar to polar bear fibre and has a hollow structure and even warmer than merino. and the wallaby is like a big rabbit and good for curries,

seems to be a few archers on the site , we are just lucky in New Zealand to be able to bow hunt many deer species , wild pigs etc
    you might like to take a look at this site too http://www.nzbowhunters.co.nz/

cheers

Tomo
    Last edited by Tomo-hawk; 24th-January-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: add link

Default canoe archery

Tomo-hawk, never had expierience with New Zealand. This changed when several very well known and succesfully films had their film location at New Zealand, ... Lord of the Rings, The Last Samurai, Avatar, ...
    Your blogg is just a hell of some travelling brochure ..........amazing brilliant !!
    Never have packed my bag in such a hurry ........(hahahaha)
    You must be a very happy chap to enjoy this wonder of nature !!
    To my knowledge bow hunting is not allowed in Belgium. Planning to do some first
    bow fishing experience in the near future.
    I like the Wren canoe as well, but being a enormously fan of birch bark canoe, this must be the explanaition.
    Owner of a canoe and moderate paddler, since a few years, my goal is to make myself
    my proper canoe. The canoe probably will have a look like the Native canoes had.
    Canoeing is just part of some greater interest as there is : bushcraft, archery, nature, fishing, paddling , I discovered. Internet was a very helping hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-h15nZ1g0 Here you see me in a archery workshop. Me is the one with the glasses, first in grey than white, look for the 6ft 210 Ibl !!
    Have some great time, and yes I am a little jealous indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by gw5458 View Post
    Can't speak for anyone else - my own main reason for not going for clinker built would be that I do not have the woodworking skills to make a half-decent job of it. With more simple 'stitch and tape' designs I can at least make something that floats....
    Strange, glued lapstrake (clinker) is supposed to be a popular method of boat construction but it isn't common in canoes these days, although American builders like Rushton did a lot of them. Back then (late 19th century) the major Canadian canoe builders concentrated on producing a smooth hull; I think it became a national obsession.

Glued lapstrake is very light and pretty too. I have a design that I was going to build in plywood hard chine; I could build in lapstrake, the plank developments are not that much different. I have an idea for building it that should be as easy as S&G. I might give it a go after I finish my semi-stripper ...
    Terry Haines

Here is a clinker ply canoe I'd like to build. I still have not built my first stitch and glue skiff, or converted my fiberglass canoe for sailing though. Time is scarce. I have however, been greatly admiring all the home built canoes here. Anyone that completes the project and gets it on the water has my respect... I'm still an armchair builder/paddler...
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 10th-April-2011 at 06:35 PM.

That would be a nice looking boat! With the plumb stem, the garboard must have almost 90 deg twist which might be a challenge. There is no reason why the garboard - or the first bilge plank for that matter - cannot not be made a little narrower, this makes a fantastic difference to the ease of hanging the early planks. The difference can be made up by adding another plank and distributing the balance of the girth over the rest of the planks. Just check the lines still look OK before building.

I discovered how important that can be when converting the lines of Rushton's Wee Lassie from lapstrake (clinker in the UK) to edge-glued carvel. I realized the lowest 2 planks were parallel along their entire length so I merged them into one wide garboard. I asssumed the original builder had problems getting wide enough planks. Fortunately I did a trial bend and discovered the wide plank was a b!tch to bend and the rocker was off by a country mile.
    Terry Haines

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Kayaker View Post
    That would be a nice looking boat! With the plumb stem, the garboard must have almost 90 deg twist which might be a challenge. There is no reason why the garboard - or the first bilge plank for that matter - cannot not be made a little narrower, this makes a fantastic difference to the ease of hanging the early planks. The difference can be made up by adding another plank and distributing the balance of the girth over the rest of the planks. Just check the lines still look OK before building.

I discovered how important that can be when converting the lines of Rushton's Wee Lassie from lapstrake (clinker in the UK) to edge-glued carvel. I realized the lowest 2 planks were parallel along their entire length so I merged them into one wide garboard. I asssumed the original builder had problems getting wide enough planks. Fortunately I did a trial bend and discovered the wide plank was a b!tch to bend and the rocker was off by a country mile.
    It is the Selway Fisher Woodland 15 found here: http://www.selway-fisher.com/Sailcanoe.htm#WOODLAND I have a few of Paul's plans, and he seems to have all the details worked out for those situations. I have his 12' Coble plans with some wicked plank twists and the explanation to achieve them. Did I miss pictures of your carvel canoe???

Quote Originally Posted by lvacgar View Post
    . . . Did I miss pictures of your carvel canoe???
    No, I'm still working out the details and trying to make up my mind whether to make it in carvel or revert back to lapstrake, as I have had a neat idea which I want to try out. Or perhaps I should do one of each. That's assuming I can find space to build another canoe - it's getting a bit crowded in the workshop! Currently I am still working on Rose Lee - with a name like that it has to be a stripper - see pics at post 56/57 on the "plywood strips for stripper" thread, and I have a single sheet canoe that needs varnishing. Oh, yeah, there's a skin-on-frame job I want to try out . . .
    Last edited by Ancient Kayaker; 11th-April-2011 at 01:30 AM.
    Terry Haines

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Kayaker View Post
    No, I'm still working out the details and trying to make up my mind whether to make it in carvel or revert back to lapstrake, as I have had a neat idea which I want to try out. Or perhaps I should do one of each. That's assuming I can find space to build another canoe - it's getting a bit crowded in the workshop! Currently I am still working on Rose Lee - with a name like that it has to be a stripper - see pics at post 56/57 on the "plywood strips for stripper" thread, and I have a single sheet canoe that needs varnishing. Oh, yeah, there's a skin-on-frame job I want to try out . . .
    My vote is one each! Do keep us posted with photos or a build blog...

Default lapstrake design

have to say the lapstrake design of the Shearwater Schoodic that we've just built was very confidence-inspiring for a novice (clearly not an issue with your list of builds!) as it gave decent sized and consistent fillets for epoxying - and the knowledge that you've got 2x4mm+epoxy at each panel join running along the boat from end to end sounds like it should be strong! (and it looks a bit different from the flush hulls )

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeyblue View Post
    have to say the lapstrake design of the Shearwater Schoodic that we've just built was very confidence-inspiring for a novice (clearly not an issue with your list of builds!) as it gave decent sized and consistent fillets for epoxying - and the knowledge that you've got 2x4mm+epoxy at each panel join running along the boat from end to end sounds like it should be strong! (and it looks a bit different from the flush hulls )
    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before in this thread but the doubled thickness of the lap joints add considerable strength - which varies as thickness squared - and stiffness -which varies as thickness cubed. For a small boat with narrow planks the laps can easily double the overall stiffness of the planking.
    Terry Haines

[QUOTE=terry. young;207698]hi this was my second build 13' waterman, 'i 1st build was a 14'peterborough

Terry H: those are interesting stats - and the good thing is that the weight isn't squared or cubed by the lapstrake design!

Terry Y: ooh, nice - I'm a sucker for dark scuppers...

Default video of my shearwater schoodic

hopefully this'll link to a video of our recent build on youtube...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast