Thread: New guidebook from Pesda Press?

Default New guidebook from Pesda Press?

I'm figuring this is new, if it's not, why didn't I get it for xmas??

http://www.pesdapress.com/scot-canoe-classics.htm

Journal Entries

New to me. Might need to pick up a copy.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Oooh. Need it too.

Nick

I wonder how many routes are the same as in "Scottish Canoe Routes" it seems to mention a few of them ??
    I would be interested to know how many are repeated in this version??

It says out March 16th is that this year or last year??

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Default Canoe Classics

Eddie Palmers book is not due out until March 07. There are some of the routes that repeated, however, this book is more of your coffee table guide book only detailing 25 of Eddie's classic Scottish routes.

Dave R

Default I wonder....

"Eddie Palmer - .... since moving to Scotland from the north of England 10 years ago, has paddled many waters in Scotland, those experiences providing much of the material in this guidebook."

I wonder if he is on this site incognito???
    Chris

It says in full colour?? that sounds interesting ??

Coffee table book??? I don't like Coffee .

I may buy it if its got loads of pictures in it.
    But I object to people who write books then bring out another one soon after and repeat half the stuff thats in the old one.

Group buy anyone???

MickT.
    Last edited by bothyman; 12th-January-2007 at 08:28 AM.

well I decided to pre order [and pay].

Publication is being timed to co-incide with the Outdoor Show in mid March. If I ask them nicely at Pesda [it's not far from me] who knows they may release one early for SotP to review.

If not I'll try and give the forum an overview when it arrives.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    I wonder if he is on this site incognito???
    Yes, he registered with the cunning pseudonym "Eddie Palmer", just so as we wouldn't know it was him.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by urchaidh View Post
    Yes, he registered with the cunning pseudonym "Eddie Palmer", just so as we wouldn't know it was him.
    As cunning as a cunning fox that has just been made head of cunning at Oxford university

I wonder if a preview copy will be sent to SotP's press department
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    As cunning as a cunning fox that has just been made head of cunning at Oxford university

I wonder if a preview copy will be sent to SotP's press department
    Aye, and I bagsy being the new press officer just to have a peek!!!

Default Scottish Canoe Classics, touring guidebook

Quote Originally Posted by bothyman View Post
    I wonder how many routes are the same as in "Scottish Canoe Routes" it seems to mention a few of them ??
    I would be interested to know how many are repeated in this version??

It says out March 16th is that this year or last year??
    Hello all,

To answer Mick's question, it is true that the routes in Scottish Canoe Classics are covered in Scottish Canoe Touring. SCT is intended to be an authoratitive and complete guide, giving the bare bones information, which will get you on the water and paddling. As it is almost exhaustive of routes, inevitably the route information crosses over to Scottish Canoe Classics, however, Scottish Canoe Classics presents the twenty-five chosen routes in much more detail, with excellent maps and photos. Also some of the routes are variations, highlights or extensions of routes covered in SCT.

The contents list on the catalogue pages above give some clues, but a download PDF of a sample route will be available soon from our site (next week). Compare this to the Scottish Canoe Touring PDF download.

The size and format of Scottish Canoe Classics is similar to the sea kayak guidebooks Scottish Sea Kayaking and Welsh Sea Kayaking, therefore the whole book is of a higher material quality and much more absorbing than the brief pocketbook guides to Scottish White Water and English White Water upon which SCT is based. For this reason it has been described as more of a 'coffee table' book.

Both Scottish Canoe Classics and The Northern Isles (a guidebook to sea kayaking in Orkney and Shetland) are due for publication this year in time for the Ordinance Survey Outdoor Show 16-17-18th March in Birmingham, where we shall be exhibiting all of our range on the Desperate Measures stand.

Regards,

Peter

Peter

Thank you for your answer I may even buy a copy now .
    I have a copy of "Scottish Canoe Touring" already and the Pdf file you posted is just down the road from me so I know it well.

MickT

Journal Entries

I do like it when we get information direct from the source
    John

Default Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Pesda Press View Post
    Hello all,

To answer Mick's question, it is true that the routes in Scottish Canoe Classics are covered in Scottish Canoe Touring. SCT is intended to be an authoratitive and complete guide, giving the bare bones information, which will get you on the water and paddling. As it is almost exhaustive of routes, inevitably the route information crosses over to Scottish Canoe Classics, however, Scottish Canoe Classics presents the twenty-five chosen routes in much more detail, with excellent maps and photos. Also some of the routes are variations, highlights or extensions of routes covered in SCT.

The contents list on the catalogue pages above give some clues, but a download PDF of a sample route will be available soon from our site (next week). Compare this to the Scottish Canoe Touring PDF download.

The size and format of Scottish Canoe Classics is similar to the sea kayak guidebooks Scottish Sea Kayaking and Welsh Sea Kayaking, therefore the whole book is of a higher material quality and much more absorbing than the brief pocketbook guides to Scottish White Water and English White Water upon which SCT is based. For this reason it has been described as more of a 'coffee table' book.

Both Scottish Canoe Classics and The Northern Isles (a guidebook to sea kayaking in Orkney and Shetland) are due for publication this year in time for the Ordinance Survey Outdoor Show 16-17-18th March in Birmingham, where we shall be exhibiting all of our range on the Desperate Measures stand.

Regards,

Peter

As MK said, good to get the real info. Look forward to it coming out.
    Chris

16. Default Scottish Canoe Classics

Hello All,

To keep you all updated on the progress of Scottish Canoe Classics, the launch was delayed until after the Outdoor Show. It is currently with the printers and we have approved the colour proofs sent to us. All things looking well we should have our advance/review copies next week and the book will be available through our distributor shortly after.

Regards,

Peter

I own your SCA touring , Sea Classics and WW guides and may I make a suggestion that in future you could make the guides smaller.

I check your guide, draw the route or details in FUGAWI digital mapping and print it off and stick it in a wee ziplock bag. Possibly with a sat photo as well.

I you adopted the french topo style where each route flips over from the next it would make great products better. Also going for a topo map of the rivers and lochs enables better navigation and planning. I have th sat photos and overlays for mapping as well.

I appreciate there is copyright issues for you and budget etc but I think it would make your good products even better.

I would happily pay more if they were smaller but more as above.

Just my two cents.

HTH

Nick

OK Peter.

You've twisted my arm, send me a copy and I'll review it for you.

MickT

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Charles_River View Post
    the french topo style where each route flips over from the next
    Hello Nick,

I am not familiar with this kind of guide (Franco may well be) can you quote a couple of ISBNs which exemplify this style? I can assure you, however, that we are working on a new style of guide with the SCA which will satisfy some of your suggestions.

Regards,

Peter

Thanks, it's really how the french doMTB guides sort of a flipchart style spiral bound. I'll search for pic for you.

Or in the hols I'll maybe do a bit of one for the canal from Falkirk to Linlithgow.

Nick