Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Dochart Sun 21st Jan

Default River Dochart Sun 21st Jan

Heading of for a return trip to the Dochart . Either from Crianlarich to above Lix Toll rapid or we can put in at Loch Lubhair to save some time in case anyone is looking to run Lix Toll . Hopefully see some familiar faces

Alan
    Last edited by alan ramsay; 11th-January-2007 at 08:33 PM.

hello alan do you mean 21st of jan or are you planning ahead?
    when they say it can,t be done do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    hello alan do you mean 21st of jan or are you planning ahead?
    Well spotted .

Journal Entries

Now the 21st of Feb I may have been able to do .

But we have visitors on the 21st Jan. so unless I can think of some v. good reason for leaving them I won't be able to come .

Pity as I'd love to do from Crianlarich down.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Almost certain!
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

How intrepid is this water?

See you there.
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    How intrepid is this water?

There is a grade 3 about half way down which some of us lined down last year without too much difficulty . There should be some pic's if you look at last years blogg . Apart from that it's pretty straight forward with the take out just above lix toll rapids . Anyone wanting to run these should have plenty bank support . Will decide on a time next week when we see who is coming and where we want to start from . May have to start a bit earlier than usual if doing the whole 20km

Thanks Alan.

I looked at last years Dochart blog. It looks utterly terrifying.

Am coming anyway. If all else fails I can practise lining.

i,ll come along alan providing i have an exhaust on my van

Looking forward to it. Hope the exhaust materialises.

An early start is no problem for me.

Hi Alan. Can I come along on Sunday?

Eric

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hi Alan. Can I come along on Sunday?

Eric
    You know you don't have to ask . Anyway , where have you been hiding . Long time no see

Journal Entries

I am still trying to wangle getting on this trip so make sure you are clear about where you are meeting so I can find it if I find I can make it at the last minute.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

[quote=Doc;26666] Hope the exhaust materialises.
    thanks the vans in the hands of my local garage if he doesn,t get the part by the weekend i,ll put plan B in to operation (a roof rack on my wifes corsa and make a run for it before she knows its missing)

How would you guys feel about me videoing your adventures on the Dochart?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grooveski View Post
    Nice harmonica
    John

Grooveski,
    If there's somethin on your mind, spit it out

Just kidding John, go for it.

You can BLEEP the sound can't you? My comments when things get squirrely aren't always family friendly.

I'm just praying for good weather for this one. However, the 10 day forecast suggests a balmy 2 degrees with rain and, er, snow. Going to be minus four the night before so I trust somebody has an icebreaker hull.

Have just spent 2 weekends painting walls so have definitely earned some time off.

Still not sure about tackling grade 3 in December though. Still, it looks like there's going to be a reasonable group here, which is good for safety but bad for having your mistakes witnessed. Or videoed and downloaded to YouTube.

Smile Video sound

Quote Originally Posted by Grooveski View Post
    Just kidding John, go for it.

You can BLEEP the sound can't you? My comments when things get squirrely aren't always family friendly.
    Snap Grooveski the difference is i'll be on the bank uttering the non family friendly comments.I worked in a distribution centre for 2 years - the guys were great picked up lots of colourful expressions / sayings lots of red faces initially.I'll keep the stories for a campfire meet when little ears aren't around.( Best 2 years of my long service with that company ).

John if you need an assistant let me know as I know where the Grade 3 rapid is from the roadside .Otherwise I will probably go walkabout near the take out .

Maggie
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Grooveski,
    No problem

Maggie,
    Would appreciate all the assistance you can muster
    Just got a new camcorder, so I'm chomping at the bit to use it

Default Post of assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Maggie,
    Would appreciate all the assistance you can muster
    Just got a new camcorder, so I'm chomping at the bit to use it
    No bother where are we picking up the 's

Maggie .
    Maggie.

25. Default

Have we got any preferences for the put in . We started from crianlarich last year and just finished in daylight with a 10 am start . 9 for 9.30 would probably be better or 10 / 10.30 if putting in at Loch Lubhair . I will probably go for the Crianlarich start but others could meet at the loch if running a bit late

Alan

I think I might be allowed out for this one. Dont know if my crappy skills would be any use though!!

This is shaping up to be the Mother of All Winter Meets.

I would favour an early start at Crianlarich (9am?) and then a rendezvous at the Loch Iubhair car park for any late starters to join. Perhaps someone could advise on exact locations and timings. This would maximise the ability to join in.

Of course, I live locally so this might not suit everyone. There would also be a need to have a vehicle at the take out. If it helps I could meet someone at the take out even earlier to leave a vehicle there.

I think we might need some co-ordination here, depending on how many vehicles the put in / take out will hold.

Anybody with more knowledge than me? I know where C/L is of course (but not how to spell it at gone 11pm!), but don't know the exact details of parking etc. Car sharing?

It is snowing like ten here just now. I know the w/e is miles away, but at this rate it could be very scenic.

I don't know about the Crianlarich put in. No doubt Alan can advise. At the Loch Iubhair car park I guess you could park a dozen cars or more, and it will be pretty empty on a winter morning.

Would we need two vehicles at the take out?

Sunday is only 5 days away so I guess we had better get cracking on the logistics.

Well, obviously I'll have my vehicle at the takeout, so that's one

31. Default

How about 9am at the car park at the junction A85 A82 in Crianlarich . It's a short walk over the road and down a track to the put in at the railway bridge . There's space at the take out above Lix Toll rapids 549 310 for two or three vehicles . From there the road follows the river , so will be easy to pick up anyone wanting to run these . Any late starters should meet at carpark at Loch Lubhair by 10.30 . Let me know if you are on for 9am so as we are not waiting for anyone . Saturday night at the youth hostel is an option if anybody is looking to make a weekend of it

Alan

Journal Entries

I probably won't be there on Sunday now. I might get a quick local paddle but it looks like I will not have the time to make the journey up to the Dochart and back.

Have a good day and don't forget pictures as well as video.
    John

A 9.00 a.m. start is OK for me.

Eric

I'm just praying for good weather for this one. Going to be minus four the night before so I trust somebody has an icebreaker hull.
    I remember once seeing thick pack ice which had floated down the Dochart and jammed solid around the islands where the river enters Loch Tay. While I was there the whole lot suddenly started moving, ripping chunks out of the bankside trees as it went . Quite an impressive sight. I can see why people travel to places like the yukon to witness the spring break up.

Hopefully it wont be that icy on sunday. I can make it, but have a good one.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jamesoconnor View Post
    Dont know if my crappy skills would be any use though!!
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...read.php?t=370

If a sack of spuds can handle it.....

Nine's fine by me too.

Would love to join you all & am tempted, but with a knackered knee, 220 mile round trip with low temperatures forecast & a local musical to do stuff for I'll have to bow out.

Have a great paddle & have some good pics of the icicles.

Alastair

i can be there for 9 aswell and or meet at take out to leave car

I can be at the put in for 9, no problem.

John - were you planning on videoing from your own boat, or meeting us to video en route via car? If the latter we maybe don't need to leave a vehicle at the take-out as we would see you there. I can bring handheld radios if necessary for co-ordination (MK- didn't mean your radios!))

If we do want to leave a vehicle at the take out I can meet at the takeout at 8.30, say. Trouble is that my car (Suzuki Jimny) can only carry 1 canoe and 4 people.
    Last edited by Doc; 19th-January-2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added info

Should add forecast is not bad, sunny intervals, 12 mph wind blowing from the west, 2 degrees above, 'very poor' visibility (visibility often incorrect, IMHO).]

Sunrise 0838, sunset 1620.

Doc, I'll be videoing from the banks, won't have my boat with me, so yes, I'll be there at the take out with my vehicle

I hope to be along too. I'll go for the the Loch Lubhair car park option (10:30) as it's a bit of a trek up from Edinburgh. See you there.
    Veni Vidi Natavi

Won't make this one unfortunately (prior arrangements). Have fun folks!
    Rhod

43. Default

Not any good meeting at take out unless Allan has his van back on the road, in which case i will leave my car at the take out then we can shuttle another car just in case john can't make it . Don't know if Tenboats is coming along yet . He may have his trailer with him .

Alan

There'll be room for two canoes on my roof rack

Well, would it be worth me and someone else meeting John at the take-out at 0830, load ourselves and canoes onto John's jeep and travel up to the put in for 9am? That would leave two cars waiting at the take out to ferry people back to the start?

Should add that I've not done this trip before and will be guided by Alan on this.

We are on for this, but not sure if we are using the car and roof rack or going up in the motorhome and trailer. I've PM'd Alan the Dancing Chicken. (as oppossed to Allan the Dog).

We are probably paddling Tandem with the dog.

Doc,
    I don't own a "JEEP", it's a TRUCK!!

Journal Entries

Doc,
    I don't own a "JEEP", it's a TRUCK!!
    More importantly it is not a Land Rover
    John

BigMan, we've had this conversation before

50. Default

Well, would it be worth me and someone else meeting John at the take-out at 0830, load ourselves and canoes onto John's jeep and travel up to the put in for 9am? That would leave two cars waiting at the take out to ferry people back to the start?

Should add that I've not done this trip before and will be guided by Alan on this.
    Sounds like a plan . I think Allan is looking to leave his van at the take out

Alan

Sounds good.

So hopefully see some of you at the take out (grid 549310, which I note is on the B road that runs parallel to the river's north bank, and NOT the main Crianlarich- Killin A road) at 0830, and the rest of you at Crianlarich at 9 or Loch lubhair (I think it's iubhair, not lubhair?) at 10-1030.

Forecast has deteriorated slightly. Now 1 degree above, 12 mph northerly wind, sleet showers, moderate visibility.

ok i,m planning to drop my canoe at crianlarich and then take my van to take out for 8.30 so i,ll send doc my phone number just in case

Just spent a crackin day with some real nice people, video isn't too bad, will work on how to get it on here, the class 3 rapid scenes are worth their weight in gold

Thanks Guys n Gals

And Corrie!!

Great to see it went well. I had hoped to be there but not getting home till midnight Sat meant it wasn't to be.

So I ended up on the Forth & Clyde canal with Blutack for an hour late afternoon.

Looking forward to the videos and photos.

Philip

Thumbs up ditto

Just spent a crackin day with some real nice people, video isn't too bad, will work on how to get it on here, the class 3 rapid scenes are worth their weight in gold

Thanks Guys n Gals

And Corrie!!
    Definately can vouch for the video footage. John if your ears can stand it and you need an assistant again keep me posted.

Maggie
    Maggie.

Maggie,

YE'R HIRED

Smile

sorry I wasn't there to see everyone, we were in Glen etive paddling- night paddle last night, in the snow, excellent!

If you need some webspace for the video PM me.

Sorry I missed a good day.

Alastair

Well that's the film finally edited Whoever that was there and wants a copy let me know, I plan on being at the meet on the Lower Dochart at the weekend and can bring copies. Anybody else who was there and can't make it at the weekend, PM me and I'll get a copy to you

Journal Entries

I was talking to Doc on Sunday and apparently he wants ALL the copies
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast