Thread: English Lake District 25th/26 March

Default English Lake District 25th/26 March

Any one fancy a trip to the Lake district in march?
    Proposed trip Sat River Derwent from Grange across Derwentwater and on to Bassenthwaite. Sun Circumnavigation of Thirlmere. Maybe camp at Seatoller in Borrowdale. Just an Idea at moment but if theres any interest I will get my organistional head on.

a trip to the lake district sounds like a very good idea i,ll give it some thought & check its ok with the BOSS ,er i mean my darling wife.

Journal Entries

could be interested in coming along. Would have to arrange to abandon our kids somewhere, but their grandparents live not too far away from the lakes, so hopefully it wouldn't be a problem.

Have you had your prospector out much yet. Is it the 15' or 16' version that you've gone for?
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

could be interested. in fact definitely.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Hi I went for the 15' so it would fit in the garage, wouldnt be able to open the door with a 16' in there.
    I have had it out twice so far . First time on a local watersports lake. and yesterday on a round trip up the Calder and Hebble canal and back down the river Calder ( missed out a grade 2 rapid as i was by myself) padled about 4 miles in all. It handles very well solo and is quite stable tandem.

Providing everything goes well with new boat I will definately be up for this trip but would be solo failing that if there is a spare place in the we-no-na that I could fill....Mike B
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Its things like this that let you know your alive

Default The plan for 25/26 March

The basic plan is to camp friday and saturday nights at Hollows farm Borrowdale grid ref 249167 this is a site with basic facilities next to the river. Saturday launch at campsite travel river derwent to derwent water.The river is grade 1 with easy pebbly rapids (good poling practice) about 3 miles long. Traverse Derwentwater and reenter river near Portinscale, The river winds through reed fringed banks to Bassenthwaite. Then either egress at porterhow carpark.or travel length of bassenthwaite to ouse bridge. Sunday whatever? maybe circuit of thirlmere or poling practise on River.

sounds interesting. I'll put it in my diary.

added 21/2....... deinitely on for this. Booked Friday already. Q do I need to be a member of any canoe orgs.? Oh, and are there any trees at the campsite to sling my hammock from?
    Last edited by Obscured by Clouds; 21st-February-2006 at 01:10 PM.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

Journal Entries

Great .

Have arranged Childcare If possible can we meet you on the Saturday morning as the In laws may not be that impressed if we just dump the kids and run. Happy to fit in with whatever shuttles are required.
    Will camp Sat, night however.
    Must get a big stick for poling practice before then.

Hi all
    I have been in contact with the BCU and the lakes park authority. A permit is required to canoe on Bassenthwaite , this permit is £3 per person for one day.
    Therefore maybe we could canoe downriver from the campsite cicumnavigate the lake and pole or track/line back up the river.
    If people still would like to do the trip to Bassenthwaite(I would) please PM me and I will give you the details on how to get the permits.

TTFN
    David B

Default sounds a great trip

This sounds like a great trip guys.

Make sure you post the photos when you come back

Here are the details for this trip. I still plan to go through to Bassenthwaite. The river mouth and south end of Bassenthwaite is a designated nature reserve so there should be lots of wildlife to see.
    Meet at Hollows farm http://www.hollowsfarm.co.uk/ around 10:00 on Saturday Earlier if poss. Sort out Shuttles and hope to be on the water by 12:00 Total distance from put in to the Far end off Bassenthwaite is roughly 12 miles. we could arrange for a get out near to the begining of Bassenthwaite in case of strong winds.or lack of light.
    Permits can be obtained from LDNPA,Blencathra Centre,Threlkeld, Keswick,CA12-4SG Tel 01768 779633.They will require your details and a cheque for the required fee.BCU Members still require a permit from the parks authority.
    P.S. I will PM my mobile Number to you if you confirm
    Last edited by David B; 6th-March-2006 at 12:51 PM.

Journal Entries

Thanks for all the details and arranging this David. I'll PM you my mobile in a bit.

Journal Entries

Permits for bassenthwaite can be purchased from the tourist information centre in Keswick, open 9.30am-5pm, and don't need to be booked in advance.

We'll see you there.

Don, you know how you said you may be able to bring along wood suitable for paddles , I could be interested in a couple of bits about 50" long if you have anything suitable .

I'll put in a selection: some cherry and chestnut, and a couple of maple floorboards that can be used as a laminate layer. I'll just throw in some odds and ends and see what we come up with.

Thanks for the info about the permit. I'll get one on the way through on Friday.

Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

Hi all
    Its good news about the permits being available from tourist info.
    That makes the weekend more flexible we can wait and see who turns up on saturday and get the permits whilst running the shuttle.

Bye for now
    David

Journal Entries

Default Are you going?

Right with only a few days left to go I just wondered who else was planning on going along on this one.

Paul C and I will tandem the prospector.

So far confirmed are Silvergirl and Paul C,Myself (David B) with possible from Mike B and Buddy and Don Redondo if he can sort out his Builders.
    So at the moment it looks like a We-no-nah outing. The plan for Saturday is all down stream maybe missing out the river along Borrwodale because I think it may be too low. Hope to be on the water by lunch time but after all it is relaxation so the plan is flexible!
    Last edited by David B; 21st-March-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Default Enlish Lakes

Hi all sorry can't make friday but will definately be up on sat as early as poss'. Haven't got a pole so will probably line back up the river (have to remember to take long lines). Will be staying sat night. Mike B...

How did the meet go?

Sorry I missed the w/e.

I hung around Friday and the builders never showed . Saturday morning, when I was wondering about doing a dash up there for the Saturday arvo and evening.. they turned up, tutted about the weather [still dry at that point] and left.

Then it started to pour down with a vengence, so not fancing 200 miles in a downpour, I lit the fire and made some jerky and stiched up some sailcloth covers for the air bags [£15 pair, ebay].

Planning a longer stay at the Lomond meet instead.......
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

Journal Entries

Don't have time just now, but it was a good weekend, except for me having a cold. I got about 60 pictures which I won't bore anyone with all of them. If I can figure out how to attach them I post some in the blogg section later.

I'm sure david or mike could update you in the meantime.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl
    If I can figure out how to attach them I post some in the blogg section later.
    Second post in this thread

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...hread.php?t=23

Default The Lakes

Great weekend just finished writing up an account for the Blog section but as it ramles on a bit won't be posting till tomorrow hopefully with some piccies. But will take this opportunity to say thanks to David B, Silvergirl,and Paul C for their Help and encoragement over the weekend. Mike B...