Thread: Hi all - love this site

Smile Hi all - love this site

Hi everyone.

I've been fairly active on the forums for some time now and I've picked up LOADS of great info.

I rate this site very highly - and recommend it to others.

As regards my experience - I've organised group trips (up to 5 boats) down the Wye and Severn with hired open boats for the last 4 years and I am really hooked on open canoeing.

I thought I knew quite a bit about kit, safety, logistics and technique......until I started reading the forums. Well - it shows how much I DON'T know.

I now realise that I need to adjust / add to my kit and also need some (in)formal coaching too. I've tackled grade 2 rapids with a loaded boat but getting through without a swim was probably more luck than judgement. My J-stroke is ok (as far as I can tell!) and I just enjoy being on the water.

I'll be buying my own boat in the Spring and then all the associated kit. Can't wait! Got plenty of hiking / camping kit but its mostly lightweight stuff. A lot of people on this site seem to favour more traditional gear which really appeals to me too. I guess the canoe allows the extra weight.

I live just outside Bath and have 2 young kids. I hope to get them involved in canoeing asap. Reading "From Cradle to Canoe" has really inspired me to get the kids involved in paddling. Safely, of course.

Anyway, that's me. Sorry for the essay!

Cheers.

Seems strange saying welcome to a man on hos 27th post but welcome anyway

Glad you are finding the site of use. I have to admit there are quite a few things I suddenly found I needed since I started the site (Pole, throwbag, sail, airbags, double blade paddle etc). I thought starting this site would cost me money just not in kit
    John

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the site. I've got two young kids as well who I drag out on to the water at every opportunity.
    My 4yr old daughter just loves the water and has even asked to go swimming in the local river (at this time of year! ) My son is a bit more nervous about it. he's fine on lochs but mention rivers and he worries because they lead to the sea, and its a scary world out there.

Glad you found the site, welcome aboard. even if you have posted more than me so far.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'