Thread: 'Enjoy adventures' plea by widow

Default 'Enjoy adventures' plea by widow

The widow of an outdoor instructor says no-one should be deterred from adventures by his death.

More...

What a touching and generous comment. It really restores your faith in human nature to read stuff like this, especially coming from someone who has suffered such a terrible loss. It still is a beautiful world .
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

What a change to find a family not looking for someone to blame and hoping that this tragic accident does not deter others from enjoying adventure activities.

Every ones thoughts are with the family and friends he leaves behind.
    Aslan

It is a commendable stance. It must be hard not to look for someone to blame when you have just lost a loved one.
    John

It's a difficult decision for teachers to take pupils on outdoor activities, since whatever happens the teacher is liable.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Charles_River View Post
    It's a difficult decision for teachers to take pupils on outdoor activities, since whatever happens the teacher is liable.

Nick
    With the greatest of respect Nick, this is not the thread in which to start a debate on this subject. Dave was not at work with young people when he died. He was canoeing. Pure and simple.

If you wish to debate the way that risk is managed when teaching in the outdoors then I would be happy to join you in that debate but not here please. Out of respect for Dave and his family.
    dog-dirty and loaded for bear.

It's a risky sport we all know that but that's why we do it and enjoy it. I agree with the widow statement, that we need to keep adventurous activites going. I take kids on activites coz I know the value of it for them, I agree with the article.

Nick

Life is a risky sport. I am at the moment recovering from a bad cycling accident, and my surgeon said "I know you have had a bad accident but the benefits of cycling far outweigh the risks". I think this applies to most sports, no matter what precautions you take anything can and does happen , its part of life.
    My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
    Harry
    Guy Fawkes
    The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions

Yes, the health benefits out weigh the risks.I think cyclists have a longer life expectancy than non-cyclists.

Be safe out there.

Nick