Thread: Canoeing with the Cree by Eric Sevareid

Thumbs up Canoeing with the Cree by Eric Sevareid

When I think back to what first got me interested in adventure traveling, particularly expedition canoeing, I have to blame the book Canoeing with the Cree by Eric Sevareid. This book opened a whole new world of possibilities for life for me and has been an inspiration in my own adventures, particularly paddling the Mississippi.

In Canoeing with the Cree the author departs from Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1930 with high school friend Walter Port with the intention of canoeing 2,250 miles to Hudson Bay. Just graduated from high school, the two initially face a great deal of skepticism and are implored to scale back on their grand ambitions. Fortunately they do not relent and a great adventure begins...

Read the full review here.

Journal Entries

Another good read in this genre is Distant Fires. A 1970s trip by a couple of Duluth men (boys), it is a good read. It was written by Scott Anderson. Anderson more recently worked for Cirrus Design, a local aircraft manufacturer, and was killed in a test flight in 1999.

PG
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default Canoeing with the Cree

I normally shy away from factual books. I find them boring due to my short attention span, but this book is a cracking read - highly recommended.

Old Man

I read "Cree" to Archie as a bed time story, we loved it. Amazing adventure for two young guys. Their parents would probably be dragged before the court for neglect these days.
    Bacon sarnie anyone ?

This was (I think - memory fades...) the first "canoe" book I ever read - somewhere in the mid-50's as I recall - and it continues to fascinate and inspire:

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    This was (I think - memory fades...) the first "canoe" book I ever read - somewhere in the mid-50's as I recall - and it continues to fascinate and inspire:

My mother's favorite Olson book was Runes of the North. My g-aunt got her a signed copy as she knew him quite well when he was outfitting out of Ely and she worked for the forest service.

I've read some of his works. A bit maudlin, but good.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post

Reading this again for the umpteenth time. Great thing is as, a series of essays you can dip into it whenever you have even a short space in time. " The Way of a Canoe " says it all.
    The canoeing journey sagas such as "Canoeing with the Cree " or Sig Olson's "The Lonely Land " it's good to be able to settle down and read more or less in a oner.
    Most of the books in the Minnesota Heritage series published by The University of Minnesota Press are well worth a read. Watch out for which paperback print run of the Lonely Land you buy as at least one edition has a fairly annoying print fault. One section printed twice and I think one missed .
    Some of the stuff on the Sig Olson website is really good, especially the early articles.
    Regards,
    Stravaiger.
    Everyone must believe in something. I believe I will go Canoeing. H. D. Thoreau.

"Waste of time reasoning with the morally demented"

Lots of love for some great Minnesota authors. I like it!

Currently working my way through Olson's books - just started "Runes of the North". Enjoyed "The Singing Wilderness" (liked the chapters "The Way of the Canoe" and "Campfires" - as Stravaiger says, they say it all).

Biff
    'I can gather all the news I need on the weather report...'

One of these years I would like to canoe with the Cree.

Here is one of the opportunities from an outdoor education center that is pretty local to me. The schedule never seems to fit though.

http://www.alohafoundation.org/hulbe...es-canoe-trip/
    "Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing." WS-prophecy about internet postings.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post

Here is one of the opportunities from an outdoor education center that is pretty local to me. The schedule never seems to fit though.

http://www.alohafoundation.org/hulbe...es-canoe-trip/
    That looks like quite an interesting trip. Maybe someday...

I was very fortunately bought a first edition, in a life different from now, in a universe long ago.

That life has gone, but I still have the book and every so often read it now and again.

It reminds me that for a great endeavour, great effort is required, not lots of money and the latest kit.

What these two guys achieved was amazing.

They just did and they made a difference at such a really young age to their life.

I wish that I had in my life at least half as much gumption as they had.

A wonderful story and a great achievement.

Alan L.

One of the guys I work with just got back from a head office jaunt to Minneapolis and brought this back for me. Nice person.

this is is probably the ultimate blog of a trip (sorry Mal) and is a really engaging read. Highly recommended.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Soooooooooo. While it is the story of an outstanding achievement by two very young and intrepid teenagers it is worth pointing out a couple of things:

The book is written in a very "boys own adventure" style which won't be to everyone's taste.

The book is clearly "of the time" and attitudes towards, and descriptions of, the First Nation population of Northern Manitoba might only be described as racist in today's environment. The terminology used in the book would likely be extremely offensive to many First Nation people and for this reason I can't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
    Ray Mears?? Meet Fred Neegan - Cree indian One of these years may be too late.

Fred Neegan has passed away this year - the last traditional Cree hunter on the Missinaibi river.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/