Thread: Banwy & Tanat Feb 25th & 26th

Default Banwy & Tanat Feb 25th & 26th

As Grubby complained that no one from the Southern half of Britain was planning paddles thought I would suggest a couple. Never paddled them but would love to give them a go. Two grade 2 rivers in Mid Wales that are overshadowed by the reputation of the more famous Usk and Wye. Check out www.canoewales.com for more details- they are in the Severn catchment. Failing water we can always paddle on the Severn or Vyrnwy lower down. Anyone fancies a weekend or even one day over there get in touch. Will be out of the country from the 5th til the 15th but will be back and needing a paddle after that

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Banwy & Tanant

Hi Chris,

I am a possible for this trip along with some family. I have only ever paddled the upper Vyrnwy in open boats, which is good value and well worth doing, but not with the family.

I hope to see you then, I will confirm later as it is the end of half term.

PB.

Did a stretch of the Tanat from Llangynog, getting in below the road bridge. Nice little river at this point, fairly narrow with a few grade 2 rapids. Beautiful glacial valley scenery. Got out where a road met the river at what must once have been a ford.

Points of interest:

A sheep jumped over my canoe trying to find an escape route!

Put a hole in my boat due to a row of scaffold poles across the river after about 5 miles! Tread with caution.

Default Mid Wales/Borders paddle

Hi Chris,
    Are you still going to Wales next week? How many folk?

PB

I'd like to do it, it's only an hour away, but given my total inexperience in anything other than flat, still water in my canoe, or any other for that matter, I think I'll have to give it a miss until I have a little more water time in.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Enthusiasm looks a little thin on the ground I'm afraid. Selena and I are still very keen and will be along if we get just one definite committment and would paddle one or both days whatever suits anyone else. Water levels should be OK if it doesn't pour down next week so I am still hopeful we can put a group together.

Will update you asap

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Chris I would like to come along as long as you dont mind practising your rescue tecniques on me .Might only be able to travel on Saturday so would arrive around lunchtime. Do you plan to camp on the Saturday night?

TTFN
    David B
    P.S. do you still have the Thermarests for sale?

OK so the current plan would be to paddle a shortish stretch of the Tanat on Saturday afternoon (avoiding Adrians poles and flying sheep, with a paddle on the Banwy on Sunday. Not sure about camping. Am looking at the YHA at Bridges (south of Shrewsbury) as a source of cheap accomodation unless anyone has any better ideas? This would give DB and the rest of us time to get down on Sat morning and avoid Friday traffic. How does that sound?

All this is of course water level permitting.

p.s. yes I do still have the Thermarests

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

The plan sounds good to me. Though I have never stayed in a YHA (usually camp or B&B) so whats the form for a Hostel? And where is the planned starting point .
    TTFN
    David B
    P.S I will take Both Thermarests off your hands.

Chris

As previously mentioned, count me in. I hope to be up on both days, subject to work and the boss.

Hi Chris and the rest of you,

I can make Sunday not sure about Saturday yet. Chris what time are you aiming to start paddling on both days? There may be a few boats but still confirming, they can all paddle ok.

PB

Had planned on a Midday start on Saturday with a 10 am start on the Sunday. If anyone would like me to book them into the YHA it will be about £15 for B+B for non-members. Will sort out a grid ref to meet up on Sat. Probably the craft centre at Llangedwyn as it is fairly easy to find. On Sunday meet at the bridge in Llanerfyl. Wil PM you my mobile number in case of probs.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Banwy & Tanant

Hi Guys,

Thanks to the folk who went along this weekend. Boy, you guys travelled some miles for a days paddle (Mark & Dave) the shortest trip was 190 miles.

Thanks to Chris and his wife for organising the trip and accommodation.

It's just a pity that nobody else took up the challenge. Well you missed lots of bird life, technical paddling and no water, well, very little but enough.

The prize viewing was watching an Otter fishing on Sunday morning and scoffing its catch only a few meters away. Who said we distiurb the wildlife and fish.

Thanks Chris.

PB

So who was all there in the end? and where are the pictures
    John

Default Banwy & Tanat

Hi

The team included the following people:

Mr & Mrs Chris Randall- Northamptonshire-Sat & Sun
    Mark- South East-Sat
    David B- North Yorkshire- Sat
    Paul B- Derbyshire-Sat & Sun

PB

Default Pictures from the Tanat (and Banwy)

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    So who was all there in the end? and where are the pictures
    didn't take too many pictures- it was too cold.

Put in at the Ford

Using gear to adjust trim against the head wind

Mark's new Supernova

A typical Tanat Riffle

tricky with the wind pushing you into the rocks

David B on the Tanat

Paul warming up on the Banwy

Selena trying to keep warm on the Banwy

Sorry my picture of the otter wasn't worth loading- just a blob where its head was poking out of the water.

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Looks like a good mixture of water there.
    I was writing the config files for our new touchscreen computers whilst you were doing that, as we are a bit pushed currently.
    I don't have any pictures tho'.

I'm building our new server this weekend, so I might take a few of that !

I am aiming to join in on a group paddle soon, as the've all looked pretty entertaining so far.

Had a great day, despite the long drive!! Met some great people, just disappointed I couldn't stay for the second day.

Mark.

190 miles that is dedication for you.
    Alan and myself have met some of the members(who live in Scotland) from the forum at Castle Semple Loch,the River Dochart and Loch Ard trips for a paddle it is a great way to meet paddling folk,learn lots and enjoy a day out with a group of .
    Good to see some other photos on the forum.Plus I now know where the Tanat and Llangynog are .The forum has certainly helped extend my geographical knowledge of waterways other than those Scottish.

Yours MM.
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''