Thread: Hi from a Midlands based newbie

Default Hi from a Midlands based newbie

Hi all.

Congratulations to MagiKelly and members, this forum has been a fantastic find for me.

I have just purchased my first open canoe - a Nova Craft prospector in Sp3. I intend to paddle this with a like minded friend (and the kids in the summer) on gentle ish rivers and large lakes in beautiful countryside, with a bit of campig along the way.

I have owned kayaks, slalom boats in the long distant past (teens to twenties) before giving it all up for scuba diving. I gave that up 12 years ago after the kids arrived. But I do miss the water.

I recently had a glamping trip in west Wales where the wife, 2 kids and I did some guided canoeing up the Treifi gorge, a fantastic place to canoe . This trip and reading this forum over the last few weeks has lit the fire and led to the above purchase. I now have a big itch to get out and about on the water again. I would consider myself a canoebie and will learn a lot from this forum, and from much trial and error on the water. Can't wait!

Thanks again for providing a great forum!

Hi and a warm welcome from someone else based in the midlands

happy paddling

Andy

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Thanks for the welcomes. I hope to be around here for a long time to come. There is so much good stuff to read.

Andy. I'll be picking your brains for paddling spots. Some fantastic photography on the Broads blog!

Welcome. Once you`ve paddled, it kind of gets under your skin, then the big itch starts.
    The older you get, the older you get, the older you get. Damn! Where was I?........ Where`s my glasses? Who the hell are you?

Default Welcome Dude

Okay nice to see someone from the midlands. I live in Coventry and if there you want to get out and about give me a shout. I got the transport, trailer and gear.

Looking forward to hear from you

Regards

Morten Storm

Hi and thanks for the welcome and the offer.

I will definitely keep in touch with you mate.

cheers

Steve

Default Hi and welcome

Welcome, I am also a newbie here, but i am learning so much from this forum, plus I am hoping it will make the long dark nights of winter, just that little bit shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryngun View Post
    Welcome, I am also a newbie here, but i am learning so much from this forum, plus I am hoping it will make the long dark nights of winter, just that little bit shorter.
    Hi Bryngun, thank you and warm welcome to you too. There is a lot to read on here and I usually visit daily. Probably the most informative canoe forum on the net and a very friendly place to be.

Good luck with your learning!

Steve.

Welcome Steve
    Im also in the mids and im finding new places to paddle all the time, the hardest bit is finding good put ins, but good fun researching it all on quite evingings sat in front of the fire.

Ratty

Hello and welcome from the West Midlands. Lots of us about so look out for local trips in the trips section and you'll be very welcome to join us.
    The woods would be silent if no bird sang except those that sing best.

Hi and thank you for the welcome.

I look forward to meeting the Midlands Navy, as soon as I have enough practice to keep up!

Ratty, I feel your pain with put ins\get out - literally! Keep an eye out for my first blog post for my first paddle (Tamworth) in my first canoe - lot of firsts and some painful portages.

Many thanks.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve101; 19th-October-2010 at 12:24 AM.

hi Steve

I was in Tamworth last weekend, I noticed that river looks very inviting, I will prob do a bit of scouting there myself, first stop will be google maps.
    My problem is I need to find very easy put in/ take outs because my mrs badly bust her leg sp she can walk to far, but once ive got her in the canoe alls fine.
    I wouldnt worry about keeping up with others, everything will fall into place. After all were there to take our time and enjoy the surroundings, no point in rushing to the atke out point.
    Are you paddling on lakes rivers or canals or all of them.

Russ