Thread: Sunday 7th January, Scottish River

Default Sunday 7th January, Scottish River

Okay, so who is up for what on Sunday?

I think I have been 'booked' to sea kayak on Saturday. I have a new 'secret weapon' to try out. A 2 piece (fairly?) dry suit which has been devised my myself and The Banker. The idea is that I get the versatility of a drysuit / 2 piece for tours. I can go 'topless' in the nice weather and seal up in the winter / surf landings etc. As long as it stays dry long enough for me to re-entry and roll I'll be happy. (which could be anything from 30 secs to 2 minutes depending on conditions.) Guess I'll be doing some wet training on Saturday then.

Anyway, back to Sunday..............
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

How about something over this side of the country? The forecast looks better for Saturday, but I'd be up for something on Sunday if that's when people are free.

Maybe South Esk, or North Esk (my local river, which I haven't managed to paddle yet), or the Ericht if people don't want to come so far east? I'm sure there should be some opportunities for poling, though I might chicken out of that if the water's up (had to get the new smilie in somewhere ).

Paul

i may come along on sunday i,ve been off work for two weeks and my canoe has only been wet once.
    when they say it can,t be done do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
    How about something over this side of the country? The forecast looks better for Saturday, but I'd be up for something on Sunday if that's when people are free.

Maybe South Esk, or North Esk (my local river, which I haven't managed to paddle yet), or the Ericht if people don't want to come so far east? I'm sure there should be some opportunities for poling, though I might chicken out of that if the water's up (had to get the new smilie in somewhere ).

Paul
    I'd love to do either of the Esks. No problem if it is too hard to pole.

Can you suggest a meeting point etc? Is there room enough for the motorhome at the parking or should we bring the car?

South Esk would probably be best as water levels aren't too high at the moment. It's bigger than the North Esk and hold water slightly longer. The section from Cortachy or Prosen Bridge down it fairly rocky when the waters low, according to Cara, but should be doable at current levels. Otherwise one of the lower sections might make for reasonable poling.

The best bet would be to meet at the Finavon Hotel carpark, where there's plenty of space to leave a campervan. We could check out the riverlevel from there and decide which section to run. Finavon is a few miles north of Forfar, turn left before the hotel, just after you cross the river (signposted for tannadice I think).

Say 10am or 10.30?

Paul

6. Default

Let us know if this sunday is going ahead . We may be coming along

Tenboats hasn't confirmed a time, but it's still going ahead as far as I know, so it would be good if you could make it along too. If Margaret still isn't up to paddling Cara may be interested in going for a walk (with children in tow). What time do you want to meet up if your coming along?

Paul

Just in from the sea kayaking, confirming tomorrow, prefering 10.30 meet time, unless you think we need half an hour in hand for this river?

cheers
    TB

10.30 sounds good. It should give us plenty of time, and it means a leasurely start to the day for me.

10. Default

See you there at 10.30 . Allan is coming along as well . If anyone has a spare map could you bring it along for Margaret as she is going for a walk

Alan