Thread: Afon Banwy sat 13th Jan

Default Afon Banwy sat 13th Jan

Hi all, I plan on paddling the Afon Banwy for the first time on Saturday 13th Jan. Put in will be at Llanerfyl, with egress at Meifod Bridge. This is approx 26 km of beautiful grade I to II river... possibly touching grade III depending on level.
    www.canoewales.com search rivers for a write up.
    Hope a few of you will contemplate joining me. I will be driving up from Essex early on the Saturday morning. I spoke to the access officer at the weekend and he said access wasn't a problem. He also mentioned the river rises and falls fairly quickly and was at its best within a few days of rain. I plan on sorting out an alternative paddle somewhere nearby (any suggestions welcome) if the Banwy is out of sorts on the day.

If you fancy meeting up let me know at gpether321@aol.com

Come on you South East Paddlers, its too flat round here.

Glen

Kingfisher!!
    My family saw the Banwy last weekend - it was brimming - there has been considerably more rain this week so I suspect it will be difficult to distinguish
    river from fields!! and the trees form a real hazard when the river is high. Good luck!

The whole of the upper Severn is on Flood Warning (5m above summer level), the Vyrnwy is on Severe Flood Warning and the other rivers round there are on Flood Watch. Water will definitely be up in the trees and after those winds I should think some of the trees will be in the water...

We're heading down to Brecon, levels are falling at the moment but it won't take much to bring the water back up. I suspect we will be on the canal or in the tea shop instead.

River levels for the Severn & Trent can be obtained by telephoning the Environment Agency River Line 0906 619 7744, updated every 12 hours

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Thanks Mary & Chris,

I figured what with the weather, the banwy and many other rivers in that area would be best avoided this weekend.

However my local River Chelmer will be an interesting challenge. Normally a gentle river, with little or no flow, i've paddled there the last three weekends. The level and flow have steadily increased and combined with the wind, as a relative newcomer to canoeing, i've enjoyed finding the strokes and techniques that keep me in control of where i'm heading. There are no rapids but a couple of the weirs are looking increasingly inviting. I have resisted temptation so far as I have either been paddling alone or with my young son. Hopefully Sunday, my wife Jill will be out with me...so we'll see.

This time last year, I wouldn't have thought I'd be enjoying spending Boxing day, New years eve, New years day and each Sunday since paddling for a couple of hours upstream against the flow, often with a fierce crosswind, then back down to the car. Should be good preparation for more challenging rivers over the coming months.

Glen

I was on the Banwy today with a group of L3 kayak candidates....

The level is now going down and a very good level for open boats... infact PGL had most of there L3 trainees out on it today while we where there!!
    I am in the area on sat so give me a bell if you fancy hooking up!

Laters
    Lewis
    Senior Watersports
    Edale YHA Activity Centre
    Derbyshire

"Bear Adventure/Coaching"
    L5trained Kayak Coach, L3 Canoe Coach, CST, Foundation Safety and Rescue Provider.
    Always available for coaching and trip organisation