Thread: Hello from Warsaw

Default Hello from Warsaw

Greetings to all Paddlers from Song of the Paddle from Poland...
    ...Country of thousand Mazurian Lakes, beautifully wild and unregulated rivers (google Biebrza, Rospuda, Krutyn), prime forests, breath taking mountains, unpasteurized beer, pierogi, smoked juniper sausage, and friendly people

EDIT: I'm sorry. Not a good start I have to admit. I accidentally posted this message in wrong thread. Can I ask MOD to move to Introductions?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 9th-September-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Moved :)

I would love to paddle in Poland... can you recommend a wild river with white water for say a 5 day trip?
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

I definitely recommend Rospuda:
    [...] The length of the trail is 68 km, you need 5 days for it. You can make the rally about 3 days longer if you go on the trail of the river Blizna. The trail varies in character from an almost mountain river with high shores and stones in the water, to slow lowland river with swamp on both sides. The obstacles, such as stony shallow places with fast current or trees in the water are something negative for some people, but they make this trail even more attractive for the others. Rospuda starts at the Czarne lake and goes through nine lakes and two different regions: Suwalski Lake District, formed by glaciers, and the flat Augustowski Forest. On the trail you also see some interesting villages, like Matłak, where the oldest in this region traces of people from the Stone Age have been found (from 9000 6000 years ago.)[..]

But on this webpage (commercial site of travel agency) you will find descriptions of Masuria rivers.
    masuria-canoeing.com/rospuda_en/index.htm

I also know great guide for this region. Experienced paddler, nice and warm personality, and what is really important, regional expert for Masuria culture, folklore, history.
    Should you be interested, let me know.
    Regards
    Puchal

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Hello and welcome Puchal.

Sounds like an interesting part of the world.

Hope you enjoy it here.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by puchal View Post
    Greetings to all Paddlers from Song of the Paddle from Poland...
    ...Country of thousand Mazurian Lakes, beautifully wild and unregulated rivers (google Biebrza, Rospuda, Krutyn), prime forests, breath taking mountains, unpasteurized beer, pierogi, smoked juniper sausage, and friendly people
    Don't forget the mosquito's

A few years ago we paddled the Slupia in June and every evening we got eaten by the little blood sucking creatures. Apart from that: Poland is a great place to paddle. There's a polish publishers that sells multi day trip guides for a dozen or so Polish rivers. We used one of these guides for our Slupia trip and it was very useful literature. We had the most important parts translated and relied mostly on the maps though...

Welcome!

For those of you, who are Garmin users, and plan to visit Poland, I recommended free "social" map:
    ump.waw.pl/en/index.html
    I call it "social", because this is one man initiative started several years ago, that developed into public domain project - similar to Open Office or Linux.
    It is frequently updated by trekkers, travelers who summiting their comments, tracks, digitalized scans, way-points, etc to the Admin. UMP-pcPL covers almost whole Poland, and is great alternative to commercial TOPO map from Garmin.
    If anyone will plan trip to Poland, please feel free to contact me, for first recommendations and advises.
    Cheers
    Puchal

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Hello and welcome Puchal

from me too,Poland is a cool country with excellent birding and your beautifully reconstructed home twenty is simply awesome,i have a pact with Warsaw but more often these days chill oot in Krakow when in Polandwilllie
    "Every action of our lives touches on
    some chord that will vibrate in eternity"

Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Hello and welcome, puchal.
    You don't stop playing because you are old, you get old because you stop playing.

Pacman: If you are frequent visitor in Cracow, make sure you spend weekend in Zakopane.... Unbelievable place. I love trekking in Tatras, but Zakopane has this unique atmosphere.
    I also recognized the picture from your avatar... Seems like you have been there, right?... I'm not sure, if I'm ready to do this again...

Default Hello again Puchal

the avatar is in remembrance of my dad who was there some time before me ........in altogether different circumstances,i also will probably never return there but Zakopane i will visit on your advicewillie
    "Every action of our lives touches on
    some chord that will vibrate in eternity"

Edwin Hubbel Chapin