Thread: Hi from Bristol

Default Hi from Bristol

Hi,

New to the forum, but had a busy 18 months with my Canoe, managed to complete in stages Bristol floating Harbour to Dundas Viaduct (K&A Canal and River Avon, now looking to to push on further), bits of the Glos/Sharpness Canal

I dropped to part time recently, so free most Mondays and Fridays, if anyone in the areas fancies a trip, I have a Disco 158, which I have never piloted on my own - so maybe some practice is in order first, any tips?

Currently planning 2 trips, if anyone wants to come along
    1) Tidal trip, Conham, Bristol New Cut, under the Suspension Bridge and out at Sea Mills
    2) Malmesbury to Bathampton over a few days camping etc

Chris

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I'm in Bristol. I like the sound of a canoe camping trip....... Although I work full time!

Hello,I am also a Bristol canoeist,I know the Dundas coal canel well,and embarked on many trips,either to Bath or the Lock Inn,at Bradford,a paddle you can do in a day . I am not working at present and would welcome a paddle on a Monday or Friday, I have a Volvo with a roof rack,and two canoes,an old town guide and a fiberglass single,made by a man in Bidiford,Devon,its not a make. Your trips sound Interesting,I like the idear of the tidel trip to sea mills,canadians are good in esturys. I am also interested in exploring the smaller rivers in this area,eg the axe. Let me know if you want to meet up.

Hi Hyperion, i'm free this friday (10.09.2010) if you and the weather are up for some paddling. Don't mind where, although I have been avoiding hanham after having a few run ins with a nasty swan there.

plus got a trip planned for thursday 16.09.2010 (swapped a day that week), an all day leisurely paddle with a mate from The Cottage, posible a breakfast stop at the Buttery then round the docks, ending up at Beeses for 4pm when they open - fingers crossed the wife will run shuttle for me. I tend to get out at the Aerial rowing club slipway (no parking) or Conham River park

Chris

Hi Dervman, also paddle Saturdays, more the merrier when on the River. Give me a shout if your out and about.

I also have a simply weekend River Avon camping trip planned and un-used if we could get a few more people, the outline is...

Friday PM
    drive to Avon Valley Country Park (Saltford)
    put tents up (pre booking required / groups only / 1 group per weekend)

Saturday AM
    Drive to Weston Lock
    Park in the industrial estate opposite, leave cars over night (still to be agreed)
    There and back to Pulteney Weir (5m)
    From Weston Lock back to Avon Valley (6m)

Saturday PM
    stay 2nd night at Avon Valley

Sunday AM
    pack tent gear up and store in boats
    Paddle to the far end of the floating harbour
    Get out by the Cottage Pub
    shuttle back to Weston Lock, probable minibus (90 minute trip)

I would do a trip like this with 1 posible 2 of my Kids (10 & 11)

Avon valley Closes 1st Nov, plus we need a cumberland basin tide height of less then 9.5m between Hanham and Netham lock

Chris

Welcome!
    The older you get, the older you get, the older you get. Damn! Where was I?........ Where`s my glasses? Who the hell are you?

Default Hi From Bristol

Hi And Welcome Chrism444
    I'm from Bristol as well, we seem to be getting a few of us on here now, we could start our own stop meets in the harbour.
    nice to see more locals.
    i cant do any meets at the moment but hopefully will soon along with some camping
    Welcome again
    cheers kevin
    Semper Fidelis
    The Motto of Clan Nicholas

Default Paddle on Friday

Hi Chris,Friday is a free day for me,thanks to my wife covering the school pick up,weather permiting,how about a run down the Wye,kern bridge to monmouth,with a stop for refreshments at symonds yat.Or we could go somewhere more local. Do you have access to a car,a car at either end of a river trip makes life easy,failing that,we could try for a taxi. What boat do you want to use yours/mine,double/single. Cheers, Hyperion

Hi Hyperion, I like the idea of the monmouth run. I've not done fast moving water (for 10 years) or paddling solo, so probable sharing a boat best. Don't mind your boat or mine, I have a Disco 158, 2 seats, no air bags. Is your boat seated or kneeling? haven't done kneeling before.

I have a car with roof bars, I'll let you decide your boat or mine.

Were you thinking packed lunch or pub lunch?

Chris

Default Paddle on Friday,planning

Hi Chris,glad you are up for Wye trip,I dont mind using my old town,its a rocky river, and it has a few scatches already!.It has two moulded seats,(I dont find Kneeling a pleasure).
    If its ok with you,I prefer a packed lunch,we can put the dinner money towards the bridge toll.I have a largish dry bag for lunch, coats ect. My canoe has no bouyancy bag,but I dont anticpate falling in,ever the optimist. I will email you my phone no,direct,so we can chat about the details. cheers, Hyperion.