Thread: Newbie asking about which canoe to buy ...

Default Newbie asking about which canoe to buy ...

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, and having spent a few years hiring and wanting to have my own open/Canadian canoe, I can't go any further without buying one ... !

I'm sure such a question has been asked many many times before, but please forgive my ignorance....

I'm after a 2 or even 3 man open canoe that will also handle well solo. My main concern is weight. Most of the time it will only be myself and sometimes my 13 yr old daughter getting the thing on and off the roof of my car, so I'm looking for a canoe that is light enough not to break my back, or my bank. I currently have a surf kayak which is only 16-17 kgs, so I'm thinking something in the region of 25-30 kgs max.

My budget is probably something in the region of 600-700 pounds, and I realise this is an issue when looking at lighter weight canoes. Currently, it's looking like either a Pelican Potomac/Colorado,or even a Navigator, or maybe a Venture Ottawa Duo.

I've only paddled canoes that are 15 feet plus, so am not familiar with how much a shorter one (ie. 13-14 ft) differs. Oh, and I'm pretty FAR from perfecting a J stroke too ...!

I know I've written half a novel, but any help & advice would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

Thanks,
    G

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip - PM sent.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Welcome, and I hope you get the answers you're looking for.

I'm new as well, but I very recently bought a canoe and I can tell you my experiences since I'm in a similar situation - mostly on my own or with my 11 year old daughter.

I bought an Old Town Penobscot 164. It weighs 34kg on paper, and probably more when wet. I can manage to lift it onto my shoulders on my own, but not being the strongest man around, it is a struggle after a day of paddling. All my daughter has to do is balance the tail to stop me falling head first or being blow away when taking it to or from the car. I can get it onto the roof racks and then I "walk/rock" it across the racks because sliding it across the racks pulls the rubber top inserts right out of the roof racks.

The yolk could be a lot deeper for my liking - I find it riding on my neck as much as my shoulders. Last time I had to carry it a fair distance (50 yards in a strong wind) I ended up carrying it slightly sideways and on just one shoulder to save my neck. I saw a picture today that showed two things attached to the yolk and after about 5 minutes of wondering what the heck they were for, it dawned on me that they must be shoulder pads for portage. Sounds like a the sort of thing I'd like to outfit my canoe with if I do find I'm hiking more than paddling.

Size wise it's small enough for me to manage alone, and large enough to take myself, my wife and our two kids (11 and 10 years old). Most of the time it's just me or my daughter and me. But I like to know I have room for a guest, and plenty of room for equipment. My dream trip, which I have not yet done, would be to paddle for a day to camp wild with friends or good people and then paddle back. But I need a dry bag before I can take that sort of trip on.

I've only had one other canoe (over two decades ago) so I can't offer comparisons. One thing I do know is that it costs to lose weight. What I mean by that is if you want a light canoe it'll cost more (much more) than the same size (and looking) heavier one because weight is lost by using more technically advanced materials which cost more.

Good luck with the search.
    Last edited by bhofmann; 5th-September-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks bhoffman, that's useful to know. My main concern is getting the canoe on and off the car. Taking it to the river is less of an issue for me as I plan to buy or make my own wheels. 30 or so kgs does sound like the maximum weight it would be reasonable to expect a weedy guy like me to manage. This is based on regular on-and-off jobs with my sit-on-top, which as I said, weighs 16-17 kgs. BUT, whilst the 'yak can be a pain sometimes, and I've occasionally struggled, that's mainly due to it being a funny shape to get hold of. I figure I can go up maybe 10 or so kgs as I have a centre yoke and some other part of the canoe that makes it easier for me to lift above my head and slide onto the roofbars. At least, I hope so.... !

(Just for the record, I'm about 5' 9", and 13 stone. Certainly no muscle man though, as most of my weight is in my beer belly...)

I need to get down to a canoe shop and test out lifting the odd canoe (if they're happy for me to do so!)

TGB, cheers; I'm feeling my way round the layout of this site, but can't see any PM yet ..... !

I would call Malcolm of Mega Surf Kayaks.

I bought a Jester off of him years back.

Just bought a carbon kevlar Outlander 16 open canoe. It was 995. Very good value!

He does GRP boats as well!

Many may say that an outlaner isn't great for a newbie, but if you are a surf kayaker, then, you should have no problems!

Have a look at the reviews on this site.
    It gets a great review!!

Ah. I was wondering if it got through. I selected send and it seemed to take ages, then I noticed my connection had dropped. When I got back on, the message wasn't in the 'Sent' box but wasn't in the 'Outbox' either. I'll have to resend it but maybe tomorrow, as today's download speed is somewhat erratic.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Okay, TGB, cheers. By the way, I've just spent half of the last week canoeing on Derwentwater. I had a NovaCraft (not exactly sure which model, but it was about 15-16 ft long) and a Discovery 158. The NovaCraft was my favourite of the two as the Discovery felt a bit more tippy, but that could have been because the plastic seats were mounted higher than the cane webbed ones on the Novacraft. It was still a nice canoe when I was kneeling and paddling.