Thread: Hammock hanging with one tree?

Default Hammock hanging with one tree?

Has anyone tried using a canoe pole as a support for on end of their hammock when short of a suitable tree? I like the idea of a piece of kit having more than one use but wonder whether a canoe pole would survive the compression without ill effects.
    Alan
    Went the day well?

I haven't but I've given it some thought.
    If it's a split pole and you lash it to make a bipod then guy it securely I'm sure it will be fine.
    Maybe have two tennis balls with crosses cut into them to stick on the ends of the poles to stop them sinking into the ground.
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gough View Post
    Has anyone tried using a canoe pole as a support for on end of their hammock when short of a suitable tree? I like the idea of a piece of kit having more than one use but wonder whether a canoe pole would survive the compression without ill effects.
    Alan
    No - but I have used a pole as a spreader and roped down from one branch with a single rope vertically tied onto two ropes that then were spread by the pole and back to the hammock.
    the pole is under compression and isnt really load bearing. a couple of guys to stop it swinging about and it was fine.

Ric
    Why is my new canoe worth more than three times my car?!

I'm sure I've seen this set-up somewhere, but I'm not sure where. It could be any one of the following: Bushcraftuk.com, Risk Lighthiker website or one of the Appalachian trail forums. Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but at least I can confirm that it is possible.

Google Portaledge.

I know it is possible to substitute either one pole or a bipod when short one tree there are references on Hammockforum about this.

My interest is using a canoe pole as the above mentioned support, more specifically can it deal with the compression/bending forces. Anybody here tried this?

Lovely drawing DougR , worth at least an A*

Alan
    Went the day well?

I was talking about a 2 piece canoe pole, split, to make a bipod. It will be strong enough in compression.
    Even if you set it up as a full height single pole it will still be strong enough in compression if you don't attach the hammock or guys too high but I think a bipod would be the safest option.
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

Quote Originally Posted by pieface View Post
    I was talking about a 2 piece canoe pole, split, to make a bipod. It will be strong enough in compression.
    Even if you set it up as a full height single pole it will still be strong enough in compression if you don't attach the hammock or guys too high but I think a bipod would be the safest option.
    I too have given this some thought and came to the conclusion that it would need very firm anchor points for the guys at the bipod end. I had thought of the spiral things you can buy to tether a dog as pegs for this arrangement.

Any thoughts??
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

I know I would be more at ease in a hammock that's hanging from just one tree and one poorly staked out pole than in a portaledge used in a way it was designed for (even properly hung)....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    I too have given this some thought and came to the conclusion that it would need very firm anchor points for the guys at the bipod end. I had thought of the spiral things you can buy to tether a dog as pegs for this arrangement.

Any thoughts??
    I have thought about the stake out and found pogostick anchors http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Tr...stick+Anchors/
    (which can be easily made) or indeed other variants.

Also due to the low centre of gravity one pole will work even though it seems counter intuitive.

I'll let folks now how I get on.
    Alan
    Went the day well?

south lanarkshire on east ayrshire boarder p.s. its scotland

Default hammock

How about a sky hook on the other end for extra support
    love alot, trust a few but always paddle your own canoe

Plymouth, Plymouth, United Kingdom, 107666599263369, Plymouth

http://www.hammockheaven.co.uk/ try looking at the hammock stands on this site I'm sure you can fashion a bi pod out of your pole

cheers john
    JR

Thumbs up One tree hammock ideas......

Click on my Mini-Me to visit my Blog

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post
    How about a sky hook on the other end for extra support
    Get yer sky-hooks here...... http://www.skyhook-gb.com/index.htm yep, they really do exist
    Click on my Mini-Me to visit my Blog