Thread: Hi from another Thames paddler

Default Hi from another Thames paddler

I've just registered after (gulp - years) of lurking. Mostly I paddle on the Thames and Cherwell with one or other of the mates with whom I co-own an Aurora (many thanks Outward Bound). I've enjoyed spending time on Song of the Paddle; and having joined The Quest really had to sign up in my own right. Looking forward to putting faces to names at the Big Meeting and got all extremities crossed that the long range forecast is wrong...

Munch

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

hi there
    Rivers know this: There is no hurry, we shall get there some day.

A.A. Milne

Hi Bookworm

You're in Oxon I see, which bit of the Thames do you paddle most? If you ever float around Wallingford/Reading keep your eyes open for a battered Aurora and various bickering paddlers.

Munch

Hello and welcome, Munch.

I am usually around Reading, so maybe see you sometime.

Richard.
    You don't stop playing because you are old, you get old because you stop playing.

Hi Richard

I often wonder whether the people one passes might be members here - but the only Quentin I've seen was mikemorini's at the Whitewater Sheperton open day. Maybe someone should invent one of those 'beep when in the proximity of' devices; then again, I guess I should just ask...

We paddled up past the festival yesterday - there were lots folk coming off the water as we were getting on - but only one we know we know.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by munch View Post
    Hi Bookworm

You're in Oxon I see, which bit of the Thames do you paddle most? If you ever float around Wallingford/Reading keep your eyes open for a battered Aurora and various bickering paddlers.

Munch
    wallingford is my "default" local put-in so I am often to be found pootling around between there and Reading. I shall watch out for you - I am the large bearded gent in the Venture Ranger 16 (with or without teenage daughter in the bow)
    Rivers know this: There is no hurry, we shall get there some day.

A.A. Milne

I often wonder whether the people one passes might be members here
    "Me too", I thought

Then I thought "There should be sticker to put on our canoes"

Then I thought "Hang on, I seem to remember..." and went to http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...rchandise-Shop

But there it says

Two Stickers for 10
    Sold Out
    Four Stickers for 16
    Sold Out

So far we have paddled the Thames from Ashford Keynes to Clifton Hampden - still hoping to make it at least as far as Wallingford this year - will look out for friendly faces :-)
    Last edited by KeithD; 30th-August-2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: fix quotes

Welcome aboard Munch.
    Another one who paddles the Cherwell here, may see you out and about sometime.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Hi Munch

Your Aurora isn't that battered it just has lots of character

Welcome aboard!

James.
    -------------------------------------------

Feeding the addiction one paddle at a time.......

Hi Bootstap

It's Heather (tandem with Hannah (Pushkin) on the Cherwell and the Thames Paddle part 1) so you have seen me out and about. That's the trouble with only knowing people by their SotP name; especially when they join the paddle before they have the handle...

Hello David

Yup, that's not the first time that delay has removed the decision. I have the same trouble with technology, by the time I've made the decision the decision is obsolete...

Ashford Keynes; how far above Cricklade is that? I thought Cricklade was adventurous. Was there much water? When are you hoping to make the next leg? We'll keep an eye out if we're on the water.

Heather

Hi James

Pre aquired character certainly helps - I'd be way too precious with it if it were new

Heather

A (very) few pics from the AK-Cricklade stretch - before we capsized and spilled the camera in the river!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/david99j...eat=directlink

Yes, we did paddle under that bridge

Yes, 2 people can do a complete change of clothes standing in a canoe on moving water

The depth of water is not bad, but there are numerous strainers (some made from barbed wire!!) and we did so many portages we lost count and got very scratched and scraped (bodies and canoe!) by blacthorn, brambles, you name it. A fantastic Indiana Jones feeling of achievement at the end though

Never seen such big fish anywhere else!!

David

Sounds as though you might be near us. We are both returning to the water, but as a couple this time - paddling tandem.

We are near Banbury.

Amanda & Jakub

Hi Heather,

So you've taken the plunge & joined up solo! Look forward to seeing you & H for part II of The Quest!

Cheers

Mal
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Default Soloing....

Hi there, looking forward to catching up on The Quest Part 2...welcome to SOTP solo !
    Hannah

Quote Originally Posted by munch View Post
    Hi Bootstap

It's Heather (tandem with Hannah (Pushkin) on the Cherwell and the Thames Paddle part 1) so you have seen me out and about. That's the trouble with only knowing people by their SotP name; especially when they join the paddle before they have the handle...
    Ahhhh. the penny drops, you've gone solo on the forum Welcome again anyway
    Last edited by Bootstrap Bob; 31st-August-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed