Thread: Hello from Suffolk

Default Hello from Suffolk

Hello All,

Been lurking on here for a while, while I decided what canoe to get! Thanks to all who have posted advice/reviews. I am now the proud owner of a Savylor Colorado inflatable and will be taking it with me on a two week camp in Yorkshire and The Lakes. Years since I canoed, and am so looking forward to getting back on the water!

Hi
    Welcome to the forum, hope you have lots of fun with your new canoe.

Few of us from Suffolk on here, where abouts are you?
    Richard (AKA Wally)

Hi
    Thanks for the welcome! Good to know there's a few people in my area. I live between Bury St Edmunds and Thetford. I've only been here about three years and don't know the area particularly well. Any particularly good spots for a paddle?
    Liz

hi

lots of good paddling in east anglia but nearest to you would be Santon Downham picnic site where you can go up to thetford and back or down to Brandon and back or if you can arrange a shuttle one way!

At Sudbury which isnt to far from you there is the Stour you can do some good there and back paddles either up to Brunden mill pond and back or down to Henney and Back. Both of those take a couple of hours and are both good paddles. If you have a shuttle you can Sudbury to Bures, Bures to Nayland, Nayland to Dedham and Dedham to the sea lock. All thos take about 3 to 4 hours if you stop for tea breaks and lunch. The stour is my local and I never get bored of it.

Not far from you at Scole near Diss you can get on the Waveny which is great and takes you all the way to the sea. Again you can break it into sections if you have a shuttle.

Both the waveny and the stour are great 2 day trips with camp sites on the water.

Dont forget the Broads which is an area I havent covered yet but looks great.
    If you look at Sues canoes at Watton's website there is a lnk to some paddles in Norfolk and also worth looking at Canoe days out

Bit tied up for the next few weeks but if you plan a paddle let me know and will see if we could meet up and arrange a trip with a shuttle.

cheers
    Richard (AKA Wally)

Wow! Thanks! Whereabouts are you then?

I'm off to the Lakes on Monday - hoping to paddle on Derwent, Coniston and maybe Windermere. And if I can find a quiet spot to camp, all the better! The places you suggest sound excellent, and yes, it would be good to meet up if that's possible. Though it's a while since I canoed so I can't claim to be brilliantly stylish!

Thanks for the help!

Liz

Got my canoe from Sue's Canoes - will check out the website!

Hi
    I am in Sudbury so about 5 minutes from the water, if I remember where I put everything last time out it means I can get the canoe on the car and be on the water in about 10 minutes on a good day!

I have only had the open for a few months after being in a kayak for many years and have no style at all! To be honest I just enjoy getting out on the water and relaxing and just let my skill improve with time rather than worrying about being an expert!

This is a good site for meeting other people who can help you improve or just enjoy a days paddling. When I joined it was a matter of days before I went out for a paddle with someone of this site who let me have a play in their boat and from that momment I knew my thoughts of "what would it be like" to have an open had changed to "Cant wait to get one"!
    Richard (AKA Wally)

I did a fair bit in kayaks when I was young, but wanted an open this time around. I just want to paddle, get some space, take my gear with me, and enjoy some time in and around the water. Sue's Canoes suggested that a kayak paddle was the best thing to use with this inflatable, so I find myself with the same paddling method, if I can remember it!

Just looking forward to being back on water really. I went to a friends house a few weeks ago, and sat by the river in their back garden with my hand on the rowing boat, feeling it rocking. I think that was me done for! If you can get pleasure out of the feel of a tied up boat rocking on water, you know it's time to get back to paddling!

Thanks for your help. Look forward to meeting you sometime - hopefully not too long!

Liz

Hi
    A friend with a garden with a river running through it!

Hope you have a great time with your new toy in the lakes, get some pictures and I look forward to your first Blog.

Will PM you when next planning to get on the water and see if we can meet up at Santon Downham or somewhere.

Have fun.
    Richard (AKA Wally)

Cheers Richard! Good to meet you.

Default Welcome

We all look forward to being back on the water, beit a gap of a day or many years. Good to have another pu,phull to the fold.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Hi Liz,

Welcome to SOTP and double welcome to Suffolk.....I have met quite a few people in the few months I have been about and it is a great way to organise trips and meet ups....also good for exploring areas away from your home.

I have done quaite a bit on the Deben this summer, and a trip on Stour estuary...still to do the upper Stour and the Broads and the Ouse...lots more to do on the Nene....the list goes on

I am also pretty busy for the next few weekends....might be about next weekend for a day trip.....but after that it is October.... ....now that is scary !
    Drop me a PM if you're planning anything and will see if I can make it

Enjoy the paddling
    Hannah in Woodbridge

Hello Sandgrounder.
    I have had nothing but trouble with my Colorado, not the canoe but the stupid valve system that blows one chamber up to bursting and another only half up. I 'm thinking of cutting it off and doing my own valve system, how have you got on
    Regards,
    DAT

Quote Originally Posted by DAT View Post
    Hello Sandgrounder.
    I have had nothing but trouble with my Colorado, not the canoe but the stupid valve system that blows one chamber up to bursting and another only half up. I 'm thinking of cutting it off and doing my own valve system, how have you got on
    Regards,
    DAT
    Hey. What's the problem exactly? I had a Colorado (which my parents now use), and the valves were fine, though occasionally you could do them up slightly incorrectly and not realise. Is it the "Boston" valves on the main side tubes? This was a 2008 bought one, they may have changed.

To be honest, you will probably get more response if you start a separate thread in the How to? section or somewhere, folk tend not to look at old threads as much, and Sandgrounder hasn't been on here for a long time!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hi Richard, had a few nights at bungy campsite in the summer, right on the river, easy paddle on waveny I think?
    i too have Colorado, no probs with it

Hi and welcome, Richard.
    Simms ..