Thread: New to the Canoe (Surrey)

Default New to the Canoe (Surrey)

Hi all, been reading this site for a bit now, so after buying a second hand old town canoe
    this Saturday, I thought I better join :-)

This is the canoe I bought, its she is 17'and pretty damn big.

I'm not too sure which old town she is, but am hoping some one might know the model from these pics
    p.s had to remove links as not enough posts, will add pics soon

If there's anything else I need to add to find out what model she is, please let me know, there is no more markings on her, apart from a stamp starting (XTC) followed by a load of numbers.

I bought this big old beast so that I can fit my family in, 3 year old twins boys, a baby boy and the wife :-) so I think she will do the job for us, and looking forward too a solo test paddle this afternoon.

After a bit of advice on a good water tight storage container, life jackets for the kids, if anyone can recommend any ?

Thanks for all the good reading I have done here so far, and sorry for the array of questions I am going to be asking in the near future :-)

post 2

Default Welcome

good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Now hopefully the pics for a possible id ?

Hello & Welcome from another Surrey paddler over near Woking.

Plenty of places to get out & about in our area, where are you? We have the Wey, the Basingstoke Canal, the Thames & the Kennet & Avon all within a short-ish drive, plus a few other smaller rivers.

17' sounds a good size to get the family in, at least until they're too big to share a seat without too much fighting!

Not sure what your canoe could be, maybe a Tripper or a 16'9 Discovery?

A good dry bag is a worthwhile investment - I got one of these recently which seems good value http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/gear/info_CT051.html

SOmeone else would be better informed on kids lifejackets, just make sure its one with a built in neck support to guarantee their face remains clear of the water.

Hope to see you on the water sometime!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hmm, not sure what that is I'm afraid, more Disco than Tripper type though.

Cheers for the welcome you 2

I'm in Godalming, so not far from you at all.
    Planning to practice mainly on the Wey as its only 1/2 a mile away.

cheers for the model suggestions, I'll take a look at those.

That's an older-model Discovery 169. They've changed the hull on the new ones, but a Discovery is what that one is.

Nice one, thank you.

Anyone have any experience of them? Anything I need to be aware of about that model ?

She seems bomb proof, but I won't know how she handles until I get her out.

Hi there,

Realise this post is a bit old but am hoping you might still be around on this forum! My husband and I are thinking of buying a Canadian Canoe to take our three young children out on the Thames/Wey (twins aged 22months and 3.5 yr old). I see that you were in the same position a few years ago and I wondered how you got on? I'm a little nervous as to how the kids will take to it and in particular, whether they'll sit still! Any advice would be incredibly welcome.

All best,

Rachael

Hi,

I have 4 boys and when i first paddled with them they ranged in age from 2 (just) to 6yrs and although they all love to be in the canadian, none of they would tolerate much more than 1 hour in the boat an often much less. Things are much better now but, i found that giving them the opportunity to 'muck about' on the edge of a lake with the hard shell and an inflateable (closely supervisd by Daddy) really ignited their interest. However so much as they love the water it still often takes longer to prepare to be out (pack lunches and boats, bouyancy aids etc..) than we are on the water: just adds to the fun and still better than an afternoon in front of the TV!!

Good luck!!

Dris

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyCanoe View Post
    Hi there,

Realise this post is a bit old but am hoping you might still be around on this forum! My husband and I are thinking of buying a Canadian Canoe to take our three young children out on the Thames/Wey (twins aged 22months and 3.5 yr old). I see that you were in the same position a few years ago and I wondered how you got on? I'm a little nervous as to how the kids will take to it and in particular, whether they'll sit still! Any advice would be incredibly welcome.

All best,

Rachael

Hello & Welcome,

First off, don't be nervous! No, they won't always sit still, but they will love it! It'll take a bit of time and patience for you ALL to get used to it.

I've paddled with plenty of folk with young kids. Without exception, it has been something that they've all enjoyed.

Lynne and Davy 90 of this Parish have both done some truly inspirational trips with their young uns. Here are some examples:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...with-a-toddler

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ly-Overnighter

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ight=weybridge

Both would happily give you hints and tips to keep them entertainied...pirate adventures seem popular! Use the Advanced Search for more blogs of their trips.

Your biggest problem is going to be getting all 5 of you into one canoe. As Ade (Davy 90) has discovered, its difficult to fit a family and all the stuff you need, even for a day trip, into a canoe with 2 seats. Your twins will need quite a bit of attention at until they're used to it, so they'll both want to be close to mum & dad, as will the nearly 4 year old. So, start slow, stop lots, make it fun, go in nice weather, whatever it takes. Doesn't matter if you only do a mile or two in a whole day! Rope somebody else along in another canoe too, the more distractions the better. Take colouring books, flags, messages in bottles, etc, etc....

You're going to need a slightly larger canoe than the average, in my opinion. A 17' would probably be the minimum really, though you'll get afloat in a 16. You will probably need to add another seat fitting (easy enough).

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm advising you, I don't even have any kids, I've just paddled with lots and am in Surrey!

The Wey is perfect for your first trips. The Thames is fine too, but the extra size and faster traffic would make me suggest starting on the Wey.

Keep asking the questions, but suggest you move to a new post as folk tend not to notice the old ones!

hi rachel, i found that when my 3 kids were small the main thing they loved about boats was the getting in and the getting out, as long as you pick a route that has plenty of opportunities for them to do this, you may have a keen crew for the next trip, i also took 2 fishing nets (with handles cut short to save having my eyes poked out) a toy boat on a string to pull along and a kids paddle, this kept them occupied when afloat. the main thing is to make sure their buoyancy aids fit and have crotch straps. i used to fit a different coloured roof webbing strap to each of them to reel them in when ever the need arose. 3 kids in a boat is excellent training for your sense of balance. the whitewater canoe centre in shepperton is holding a demo day this saturday 16 june 2012, go along and give it a go, at least there'll be plenty of people to give you a helping hand should the worst happen and you can find out which boat best suits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead59 View Post
    Hi,

I have 4 boys and when i first paddled with them they ranged in age from 2 (just) to 6yrs and although they all love to be in the canadian, none of they would tolerate much more than 1 hour in the boat an often much less. Things are much better now but, i found that giving them the opportunity to 'muck about' on the edge of a lake with the hard shell and an inflateable (closely supervisd by Daddy) really ignited their interest. However so much as they love the water it still often takes longer to prepare to be out (pack lunches and boats, bouyancy aids etc..) than we are on the water: just adds to the fun and still better than an afternoon in front of the TV!!

Good luck!!

Dris
    Thanks so much for the advice. You're right, I'm sure an hour would be the max we could hope for so really important to set our sights appropriately. Four boys!! You give me inspiration that it can be done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Hello & Welcome,

First off, don't be nervous! No, they won't always sit still, but they will love it! It'll take a bit of time and patience for you ALL to get used to it.

I've paddled with plenty of folk with young kids. Without exception, it has been something that they've all enjoyed.

Lynne and Davy 90 of this Parish have both done some truly inspirational trips with their young uns. Here are some examples:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...with-a-toddler

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ly-Overnighter

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ight=weybridge

Both would happily give you hints and tips to keep them entertainied...pirate adventures seem popular! Use the Advanced Search for more blogs of their trips.

Your biggest problem is going to be getting all 5 of you into one canoe. As Ade (Davy 90) has discovered, its difficult to fit a family and all the stuff you need, even for a day trip, into a canoe with 2 seats. Your twins will need quite a bit of attention at until they're used to it, so they'll both want to be close to mum & dad, as will the nearly 4 year old. So, start slow, stop lots, make it fun, go in nice weather, whatever it takes. Doesn't matter if you only do a mile or two in a whole day! Rope somebody else along in another canoe too, the more distractions the better. Take colouring books, flags, messages in bottles, etc, etc....

You're going to need a slightly larger canoe than the average, in my opinion. A 17' would probably be the minimum really, though you'll get afloat in a 16. You will probably need to add another seat fitting (easy enough).

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm advising you, I don't even have any kids, I've just paddled with lots and am in Surrey!

The Wey is perfect for your first trips. The Thames is fine too, but the extra size and faster traffic would make me suggest starting on the Wey.

Keep asking the questions, but suggest you move to a new post as folk tend not to notice the old ones!
    Brilliant! Was really concerned people would think we were crazy/slightly dangerous taking little ones out. Very inspiring to hear its been done often. We've yet to buy our boat so appreciate your advice on kit. 17' sounds like what we need, especially while they're still small. We're also very near the Mole so expect most paddling to be done there, although our club is on the Thames (just)!

Quote Originally Posted by reicicle View Post
    hi rachel, i found that when my 3 kids were small the main thing they loved about boats was the getting in and the getting out, as long as you pick a route that has plenty of opportunities for them to do this, you may have a keen crew for the next trip, i also took 2 fishing nets (with handles cut short to save having my eyes poked out) a toy boat on a string to pull along and a kids paddle, this kept them occupied when afloat. the main thing is to make sure their buoyancy aids fit and have crotch straps. i used to fit a different coloured roof webbing strap to each of them to reel them in when ever the need arose. 3 kids in a boat is excellent training for your sense of balance. the whitewater canoe centre in shepperton is holding a demo day this saturday 16 june 2012, go along and give it a go, at least there'll be plenty of people to give you a helping hand should the worst happen and you can find out which boat best suits your needs.
    Wonderful ideas for entertainment, and again, good reality check about what is feasible. Will definitely be investing in the boat/nets. Only thing we've bought so far is the life jackets! Unfortunately we can't make the demo day but did pop down this weekend to try out what we have in stock. Guess trying out boats is going to be our next challenge!