Thread: Bernie joins from Exmouth, Devon, England

Default Bernie joins from Exmouth, Devon, England

Hi everyone

I've just joined, having failed AGAIN to acquire a canoe on eBay. I'm hoping to find someone here who can point me in a better direction or suggest a good and EASY build.

I thought I'd drop in here and post my greeting before I trawl the rest of the forum in search of sales and advice.

See you in the other forums.
    Bernie

Default A warm welcome to you...

Hi,

Hope you enjoy the site,

Check out in the Forum section - The sales and exchange area.

Hope you get sorted soon...

When you do, Safe paddling always

Smurf xx
    Before you try and change others, remember how hard it is to change yourself...

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip. What sort of thing are you after?

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    Good to have you along for the trip. What sort of thing are you after?

TGB
    Hi, thanks for asking. My ideal boat would be big enough for me and two kids and my wife, though to be honest, that'll probably only ever happen the first time I get it wet. After that I'll probably be on my own, or I might have a guest or two on board as well. Mostly I suspect I'll be on my own. I don't mind a reasonably heavy canoe because I'm willing to struggle along and the idea is partly to get some exercise. If necessary I'd make a dolly to make launching and portage easier.

I imagine I'd be on the Exe a lot, and in the sea, within swimming distance of the shore for fishing . I'd like something stable because my son has a fear of canoes and I'd like to build up his confidence on quiet waters. I'm not adverse to enjoying a ride along a flowing river though. (I did a kayak course in Versam in Switzerland.)

My reason for wanting a canoe rather than kayak is because it's more about the adventuring, picnics, fishing and general enjoyment of being on the water that I'm looking for. As much fun as kayaks are on faster flowing rivers, I'm really looking for other pursuits. Touring or distance paddling might be on the cards, but it's not the intention, so I tend to think plastic would be better than fibreglass. But at the right price I'd buy either.

If I'm brutally honest with myself, I might only use the canoe a few times a year. Nevertheless, I want one now; before I'm too old to enjoy it.

Sorry for rambling on a bit there.

No you ramble on, it's the sort of info that will get you m ore replies, as people now know what you aspire to.

PM sent.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Bit rash

Well; I did it. I took the plunge and purchased an Old Town Penobscot 164 from AS Watersports in Exeter: http://aswatersportsequipment.co.uk/...roducts_id=176

We're planning on taking it on the canal from Tiverton to Sampford Peverell tomorrow. Should be a nice easy start for the kids and my wife.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Excellent!

Congratulations.

And welcome btw....

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

looks great - hope you have a fab first trip - remember to take a few pictures.

Thumbs up Maiden voyage!

I have done more than take photos

We went down to the Exeter canal and thought a short paddle to the Turf Hotel and back would be good, and the kids would have a decent walk. (It's bout 3 miles each way.)

My wife walked alongside with my son (who's petrified of going in the canoe) and took photos and even some video (just with her digital camera). She (my wife) managed to fall in from the edge whilst over reaching for the rope that my daughter threw short of the shore. She's such a lovely woman, she just laughed and made light of it, then switched to her pullover and my son's waterproof trousers and my daughters dry socks and boots. She feels bad that she cut the trip short, but I'm just glad she didn't get hurt on the rocks.

The video is uploading to YouTube now. I'll edit this post and add the link as soon as it's done. Done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLBvGrGfPMQ
    Last edited by bhofmann; 22nd-August-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Adding link to YouTube video

Plymouth, Plymouth, United Kingdom, 107666599263369, Plymouth

Nice one I use the exeter canal a lot and would of suggested aswatersports for advice message me if you want to link up for a paddle some time

cheers John
    JR