Thread: Irish Newbie

Default Irish Newbie

Hi all,

Just got into open canoeing this summer and I'm absolutely hooked. I managed to get a great deal on a Pelican Colorado 15.6ft by trading in 2 dinosaur kayaks (15 year old Perception Dancers) This site has been hugely helpful as open canoeing doesn't seem to be as popular in Ireland and resources are limited. I have already carried out some basic outfitting such as end airbag installation etc. and plan to replace the nasty, water filled, plastic seats over the winter. Although, the kids do think It's a magic boat when they play in it in the garden and can hear water sloshing about

My gear to date has been purchased from I-Canoe in Dublin and I recently found a gem of a shop in Kildare called Ted Johnsons which carries stainless steel deck eyes, bolts etc., rope,cord, netting & Kids Lifjackets at v-good prices . .

Shaun

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Welcome on board the forum, perhaps we will meet on the water sometime.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hello from Cork
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunM View Post
    Hi all,

Just got into open canoeing this summer and I'm absolutely hooked. I managed to get a great deal on a Pelican Colorado 15.6ft by trading in 2 dinosaur kayaks (15 year old Perception Dancers) This site has been hugely helpful as open canoeing doesn't seem to be as popular in Ireland and resources are limited.

Shaun

Welcome shaun;

once you've got a paddle and a boat the only missing resource is time and an imagination.....
    you dont say where in Ireland you are but I have planty of recommendations for you; ireland has such varied and wonderful opportunities in lochs, canals, rivers... This weekend i will be canoing from portumna to Limerick through Loch Derg and the Shannon (water level is a bit low but we'll give it a go!). I've never seen another canoe on the water in ireland, and maybe you want it that way but if you ever fancy meeting up a for a paddle (open invitation if anyone else fancies!) it will be a pleasure, drop me a pm

Andrew