Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap and cheerful firebox / wood stove

Default Cheap and cheerful firebox / wood stove

Hi,
    I have been looking at the excellent folding fireboxes that have been discussed on this site but wondering if I could start with something cheaper for now. I was in Woolworths this morning and spotted a stainless steel cutlery drainer. At £4.50 I thought it was worth a punt.

It's about 12cm dia and 13cm tall. Conveniently ventilated all round. The base is also perforated but I might invest another pound or so in a stainless dog bowl for it to stand on (Wilcos!).

I set out into the wilds between our house and the garage. Feathered the edges of some of the off-cuts from cutting boat parts (pine ribs). Started using some shredded kitchen roll and away it went.

It gave off enough heat to boil water in quite a short time.

Tea anyone?
    Cheers,
    Steve

Default 4.50!!!!

And here is me with some catering Nescafe tins which I am going to attack with tools to make what you have bought for less than a fiver AND in stainless!!!

Is Woolies open tomorrow?
    Chris

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default wey hey

I've been looking for something like that for ages. I was tempted in Dobbies with a fire bucket... a galvanised steel bucket with holes in the side and grill on the top for cooking but the galvanisation put me off although it was only a tenner.

This looks like good value-imagine that stuffed with charcoal instead of wood? I think a trip to woolies is in the pipeline!
    Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...

Good idea. Do you have to lift the pan to add more wood?

Nick

No, you have to whittle sticks down till you can push them through them wee holes

Sorry, just couldny resist

Rob
    Wilderness 1-2-1
    Exotac - Waterproof your fire

Self same stainless steel cutlery holders available in Ikea also, glad yours works as I got one to try a couple of week's ago!!

Default woolies

I was in woolies this morning and got one, there were only 2 left.
    I'm thinking about putting a few tent pegs through the side hole skerplunk style to give a better upwrad draft then filling it with charcoal. I reckon it will turn out to be a nice little cooker.

thanks folks

Have a good new year!

I have one of the Ikea ones have yet to get round to using it as a firebox. It should work well though.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

looks good, could you not cut a small hatch at the base so you could feed in more wood or would that mess the ventilation up too much?

Hi Peter,
    I wondered about that too. I guess for a 4.50 investment I could risk it.

It should be easy to run a jigsaw beween the outer holes, say 3upx4wide or perhaps 4x4 to allow me to feed it without lifting a pan.
    Cheers,
    Steve

guess if you really wanted to go to town after that you could use the offcuts, weld them to the top so the pan was lifted off the actual bucket to let the be more of a draw through of air

I was in IKEA yesterday and was on the hunt for a ss container that would fit in it to create the chimney effect better. 2.49.

There was some nice dome ss pots/billy cans.

Nick

Lancashire, somewhere in the Tenth Century

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    looks good, could you not cut a small hatch at the base so you could feed in more wood or would that mess the ventilation up too much?
    I made a side hole in mine a while back. I also carry a couple of ss skewers which can be put through the top holes to stand a cup on.

It works well.
    Wayland
    "Trust me I'm a Viking"

Wayland's World

Just browsed your site, interesting job.

I live 200yds from a roman wall, antonines, and a curious
    stone age 'standing stone circle', also some 'culdees'
    circles within a mile.

Nick

got one this morning, found it sits quite nicely onto a KK base [1pinter]

so... fire up kelly, charge cooker with whatever, KK off for brew, cooker on for fryup, perforated bottom acts as a grate, KK base as the ash pan....

works for me, at least in theory...?
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Default Just bought one today

I was so tempeted that I went out and bought one today, would have been useful if I had one when I took all my children out on a post Christmas picnic...

Wondering through Woolworths got me thinking There are lots of bits of kit that can be adapted for other uses, as we have witnessed on the forum. Maybe we should have an alternative gear thread (I am sure that will get a few people thinking )?

Whilst in Woolies I bought my self a stainless steel colander, 9" in diameter, thinking, can I make myself a small portable BBQ for about the same price as on disposable one
    Alec aka Wayne

The BCUK link on the gear forum has a plethora of hodges and botches of gear.

Nick

Default gear from woolworths.

This thread inspired me to go to woolies for one of those containers you have talked about. They didn,t have stainless ones so I had to burn the paint off first before I made a few alterations.
    I cut out a small panel near the bottom to feed wood into and also made a grill top as well. I fixed 4 legs to it using cut down 6" nails and a large jubilee clip. it now stands above the ground to allow good airflow and hopefully less damage to the g
    round. See pic
    http://www.beanpix.com/image/6863050266871
    http://www.beanpix.com/image/6863052797115
    I also picked up one of these shelf spacesaving racks with fold out legs. It will make a great grill over an open fire.
    http://www.beanpix.com/image/6863049391386
    http://www.beanpix.com/image/6863051679174

As I am a canoe camper weight is not to much of a problem for me.
    If you insert some tentpegs halfway up the stove you can drop 4 or 5 lumps of charcole into the top half and light a fire in the bottom half. you then end up with lots of heat with little time spent poking sticks through the hole.works for me
    Finally, a little tip.
    Buy some cig filters, put them in a container with some meths for a min or two. drain off the meths and you can pack a lot of these into a small container. Use these to start a fire, One will burn for one min but the first 30 seconds sees 1" flames shooting out of the ends. great if your tinder is not the best.
    John Watts
    (inflatable canoeist)

Default can't see the pics

Sounds good, but the links do not show the pictures, unless of course it's me.
    Alec aka Wayne

Default No pictures

Can't see pics either, site asks for a username/password
    Riverain

Quote Originally Posted by Riverain View Post
    Can't see pics either, site asks for a username/password

Same here???

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Default pic links

Sorry about that. all should be well now.
    John
    John Watts
    (inflatable canoeist)

Default Thanks

I can see them.

I can see that I am going to have to experiment, it looks good.

I tried out the collander the other night, got it going in the end. My wife was amused as she had drunk most of the wine before I mangaged to get a fire going. What was really infuritating was the offer of fire lighters to help me. Being a typical male I delcined.

I really need to improve my fire lighting skills
    Alec aka Wayne

Default How about this???

Found this on Ebay. Do you think it has potential? Is it overpriced?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._promot_widget

Default yup

Go to woolies, this does seem overpriced for what it is although it looks useful!

a bit pricey.

loved the way it's described as 'dishwasher friendly'. can't see a dishwasher wreckiong this hunk of s/s, although I wonder what this would do to the crockery
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Default improvised stoves

Genius!

i know i'm a bit late posting this, but after seeing all the fine examples, i had to comment.

I'm only sorry i didn't see it sooner, have been in IKEA and woolies in the last week. Doh!

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

You can't beat finishing the weekend smelling of woodsmoke , and that's woodsmoke of course, not 'woodsmoke' ...

I went into my local Woolworths not expecting to see any of these, as it's a very small shop, but they had one, so it came home with me.

Tried it out today, and I have to say I'm very impressed, out came the flint and steel, and we were away.

It's surprisingly well made, and held up a treat. Post burn it's fine too, with just a bit of colouration on the steel, which can be no surprise, given the enthusiastic use it had.

This was just from old offcuts of joinery timber I found in the bottom of the woodshed.

It brought a full Crusader cup to a nice rolling boil in no time, despite the scarily unstable way I'd plonked those bits of fencing wire on the top of the brasier. Fuel went in, down the side of the cup. An activity made all the more exciting by the badly balanced cup of nearly biling water. Don't try this at home folks ! 5 seconds more bending, and this would have worked a treat, as I'd have put little hooks on the wire's end, and tied them into the holes in the sides of the can.

Ending the session by making charcloth *cough* * *cough* , which is how this fire started. I normally use the copper-pipe, eather-stoppered cooker, but I thought I'd try the shoe-polish-tin method too tonight. Seemed to do a similar job in a similar time. The tin is alight here as it's probably burning off some pine resin too.

There is something elemental in this, I have a woodburner, so fire is a regular thing for me anyway, but outside it's different somehow.

As I poked this little brasier tonight, the sparks rolled up into the darkening sky, the only sounds was this spitting, the local rooks calling to each other as they turned towards home, and a couple of blackbirds fighting in the hedge behind me. For a minute, less than a minute, there was no traffic noise, no neighbours, in fact, no part of modern life.

In that peace, my mind wandered off to idle over how many other little fires were being stirred into life on earth (and elsewhere maybe), each one releasing sparks into the sky, carrying with them all sorts of little thoughts...

... and all this from a cheap cuttlery container from wollies eh! - that's great value.

Default Monkey-pork

Love your thoughts at the end of your post. I think that sums up why many of us do what we do, to escape the rat race for just a short while, listen to the silence around us and collect are thoughts.
    I have this constant urge to get out and visit the countryside.
    As you can see from my post in this thread, I made a few alterations on my utensil holder and I have been playing around with charcole. What a nightmare trying to get some this time of year. All's I got was " It's out of season". When I asked did you sell every last bag at the end of summer, they just smiled. Say no more.
    Anyway, I have since made an oven for 10 that fits on the top and I made a loaf of bread with it, not quite perfect, so I tweaked a few things and when I test it again I am confident that all will be well. Pizza and fresh bread in the forest sounds good to me. I can almost smell it now.
    When I do test it I will post some links to photos and give you a rundown of the parts which all come off the shelf at your local superstore and all's you have to do is drill a few holes. Simple.
    Roll on spring.
    John.
    John Watts
    (inflatable canoeist)

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
    Genius!

i know i'm a bit late posting this, but after seeing all the fine examples, i had to comment.

I'm only sorry i didn't see it sooner, have been in IKEA and woolies in the last week. Doh!

Have you tried it in windy conditions?
    Thank you

John O'Connell
    -------------------------------------
    O C Outdoor
    Web page www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor
    --------------------------------------

Thumbs up Fire Box From Asda

Great idea ,but howabout my barbecue(im not sayin steal it or anything BUT)there is always ASDA trolleys lying around they make superbe barbis and when you have finished cooking it makes a great brazier to sit around and if the smoke blows in the direction of the house or (her indoors washing) it can be wheeled away down wind only trouble is i find i got to aquire a new one every summer as sometimes we get carried away and the wheels melt

Quote Originally Posted by BABOONBUM View Post
    Great idea ,but howabout my barbecue(im not sayin steal it or anything BUT)there is always ASDA trolleys lying around they make superbe barbis and when you have finished cooking it makes a great brazier to sit around and if the smoke blows in the direction of the house or (her indoors washing) it can be wheeled away down wind only trouble is i find i got to aquire a new one every summer as sometimes we get carried away and the wheels melt
    Sorry mate but a man's got to have some pride in what he does.

I'm NOT going to use a supermarket trolley for my barbies!
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by john watts View Post
    Love your thoughts at the end of your post. I think that sums up why many of us do what we do, to escape the rat race for just a short while, listen to the silence around us and collect are thoughts.
    I have this constant urge to get out and visit the countryside.
    As you can see from my post in this thread, I made a few alterations on my utensil holder and I have been playing around with charcole. What a nightmare trying to get some this time of year. All's I got was " It's out of season". When I asked did you sell every last bag at the end of summer, they just smiled. Say no more.
    Anyway, I have since made an oven for 10 that fits on the top and I made a loaf of bread with it, not quite perfect, so I tweaked a few things and when I test it again I am confident that all will be well. Pizza and fresh bread in the forest sounds good to me. I can almost smell it now.
    When I do test it I will post some links to photos and give you a rundown of the parts which all come off the shelf at your local superstore and all's you have to do is drill a few holes. Simple.
    Roll on spring.
    John.
    I never use charcoal you can always get ordinary house coal from any garage it smokes initiall but burns hotter and much longer

Quote Originally Posted by gwing View Post
    Sorry mate but a man's got to have some pride in what he does.

I'm NOT going to use a supermarket trolley for my barbies!
    A mans gotta do wot a mans gotta do my weans huv holes in their shoes so we beg steal and borrow wish i was a rich bitch like you.

*pulls up a chair and settles down to watch*

a rich bitch like you.
    I'm reading that at a tongue in cheek phrase so leaving it be. remember it can be hard to judge these things on forums

Quote Originally Posted by Budvar View Post
    *pulls up a chair and settles down to watch*
    Move along, nothing to see here
    John

A mans gotta do wot a mans gotta do my weans huv holes in their shoes so we beg steal and borrow wish i was a rich bitch like you.
    Where do I start

Like MK I'll assume the personal 'ritch bitch' commend was a joke and not intended - do let me know if that isn't the case though.

Perhaps I should just ask you to clarify if you think stealing is justified by someone who is poor and if that somehow justifies stealing supermarket trollies for barbecues as an alternative to, say, lighting them on the ground?

Rob.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Supermarket trolleys wouldn't be my first or second choice for a bbq. Tescos et al spend a fortune on trolleys every year. that cost is then passed on to you the consumer.

if i haven't got a bbq grill when camping then i make one using green hazel or willow. 5 mins of work.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

plus chrome is pretty nasty stuff.

Default using coal

I never use charcoal you can always get ordinary house coal from any garage it smokes initiall but burns hotter and much longer
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.
    John
    John Watts
    (inflatable canoeist)

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Supermarket trolleys wouldn't be my first or second choice for a bbq. Tescos et al spend a fortune on trolleys every year. that cost is then passed on to you the consumer.
    ... Ah ha, that's yet another reason to shop locally then.

Default Success at Woolies!

Managed to find said item in Woolies Chester for princely sum of 4.25.

Can't wait to give it a go. I also noticed that the gel packs for the burner for our fondue set fits in the bottom. Could double up as a mini Trangia, but not as much fun as using wood etc.

What have I started !

Somewhere in Woolies head office there's a stock control manager going "I see the stainless steel cutlery drainers are selling well this spring"...
    little do they knowwhat their customers are up to
    Cheers,
    Steve

Default Woolies stock control

You're not wrong! The first branch I went to at Broughton, N.Wales (which is a huge shop) were sold out. But my second attempt at Chester was successful. We best keep it quiet, if you call it outdoor equipment, stick a label on it, before you know it, it'll cost 30.

our wollies has sold out
    so if anyone is passing said shop and will be going to the lakes meet then how about nippping in and doing a fellow sopt member a favour so that i can give you the money for it at the meet?? please please
    nature is m X-box

Default cutlery burner

I'll try and look in our shop for you - they still had one last week as well as the one I bought.
    Last edited by windorpaddle; 17th-January-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: dislekseer

Quote Originally Posted by windorpaddle View Post
    I'll try and look in our shop for you - they still had one last week as well as the one I bought.
    thanks a lot can you let me know if you are sucessful?

nature is m X-box

Default Jedi Paddler

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Paddler View Post
    You're not wrong! The first branch I went to at Broughton, N.Wales (which is a huge shop) were sold out. But my second attempt at Chester was successful. We best keep it quiet, if you call it outdoor equipment, stick a label on it, before you know it, it'll cost 30.
    The woolies in broughton is where I bought mine from, although they had no stainless ones in, I ended up getting a painted one. You must be very local to me as I live in Saltney. Hope to see you sometime and have a chat perhaps.
    John.
    John Watts
    (inflatable canoeist)

Quote Originally Posted by gwing View Post
    Where do I start

Like MK I'll assume the personal 'ritch bitch' commend was a joke and not intended - do let me know if that isn't the case though.

Perhaps I should just ask you to clarify if you think stealing is justified by someone who is poor and if that somehow justifies stealing supermarket trollies for barbecues as an alternative to, say, lighting them on the ground?

Rob.
    Dea yi ever feel like the world is full of stuffed people that cant get a wee bit of a giggle lets all steal an asda trolley and mount it on oor kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post

if i haven't got a bbq grill when camping then i make one using green hazel or willow. 5 mins of work.
    green hazle and willow woooooo your a right little bush craft dude,ray mears the second

Starters orders
    Last edited by Budvar; 17th-January-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Set handbags to stun!

Duck!
    Chris

Default Ps

A friend just up the road actually uses one for cutlery , I could make them an offer for anyone who is desperate (they are only sea kayakers).
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by gwing
    Where do I start

Rob.
    Dea yi ever feel like the world is full of stuffed people that cant get a wee bit of a giggle lets all steal an asda trolley and mount it on oor kayaks
    No, not really. I find that the world is largely full of interesting, different and likeable people, this place particularly so.

However you seem to have avoided answering my questions, are you afraid to stand up and be counted?
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Humour can be very difficult to convey on a forum so you have to be careful how you use it to ensure no one is upset. You also have to remember that not everyone will "hear" it with your accent. I am not far from you so I probably hear your posts much as you would say them but in different areas of the country or world that will not be the case.

green hazle and willow woooooo your a right little bush craft dude,ray mears the second
    Now that is just derogatory and unhelpful. Wayne is offering a suggestion. You can take it or not but there is no need for name calling. ANYTHING that makes it less likely that members will offer suggestions on the forum will be dealt with strongly.

There is no one right answer to anything and I want this forum to have as many different views and suggestions contributed as possible. Part of that will include banter but not plain rudeness.

I hope this is clear.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 18th-January-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
    John

Heavy Man ( said in the voice of Neil from the young one's).

Well handled MK, lets have a happy forum with no nastyness

Default nice to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    ;
    There is no one right answer to anything and I want this forum to have as many different views and suggestions contributed as possible. Part of that will include banter but not plain rudeness.

I hope this is clear.

You know guys n girls we celebrate diversity through a respect for difference here on SOTP and MK you hit the nail on the head, if they don't know the rules they should not be here.

Well said MK.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 19th-January-2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Fix quote tags

Here here!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast