Thread: windermere/coniston 27th

Default windermere/coniston 27th

I will be heading to coniston or windermere tomorrow if anyone fancys it let me know
    regards retro

Question paddling in south lakes

retro,

Cannot make it on the 27th (family still hanging around) but aim to be on windermere, consiton or ullswater on the 30th (saturday if my dates are right) and if you're out on the water that day it would be good to meet up.

I was even thinking of Derwent Water and seeing how far I could get up the river (possibly beyond grange village depending on water level and how hard its pumping).

If you think you might be out give us a shout.

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Pete View Post
    retro,

Cannot make it on the 27th (family still hanging around) but aim to be on windermere, consiton or ullswater on the 30th (saturday if my dates are right) and if you're out on the water that day it would be good to meet up.

I was even thinking of Derwent Water and seeing how far I could get up the river (possibly beyond grange village depending on water level and how hard its pumping).

If you think you might be out give us a shout.

Pete
    Sorry pete i cannot make that on sat, have already got non canoe commitments unfortunately.Derwent water sounds like a good plan though
    coniston was cracking today flat calm no one else about perfect!!!another time maybe. regards retro

Hi Retro,
    Sorry I missed your post yesterday as I was in the Lakes today [27th]. Had thought of Coniston/Derwentwater put decided on Derwentwater on account of the weather [fog] conditions crossing the Pennines.

Like you found the conditions great, a dead flat calm. Was suprised at how much the lake had gone down after the recent floods. Paddled up the Derwent towards Grange. Turned round slightly below the village as had already had to portage the two shallow stretches "Lakeland Pete" mentions in his report. [I knew it was shallow when the swan ahead of me started walking instead of swimming] Guess it would have "gone" a bit further if I had had three shreddies instead of Two before setting out. Both shallows "went", just, with the help of the current on the way back to the lake.

Lots of nice bird life to watch on the way down: kingfishers, woodpecker, dippers, owls, herons, treecreepers, Grey wagtails as well as the usual herons, ducks and geese.

Probably won't be able to get out over this weekend but may be able to be over the following Sunday - not sure yet.
    Aslan

Yes i was also suprised the lake had dropped by about 4 ft. anyway sounds like you had a good day, i would be up for the sunday after nextweather (wind) permmiting if your out.
    regards retro

Default out in the lakes

No problems, nice to meet up at some point.

I am normally around on weekends either paddling or on some bank sonewhere kicking a dent out of my canoe - it happens with unerring regularity. If people are out an about I might see you, you certainly cant miss a bright red/orange coleman (now mainly green on the bottom and thats the side your most likely to see) that looks as though it, and its owner, should be put out of its misery!

'aslan' - better to turn around if you didn't feel like walking because if the water is that low then you had anther couple of kilometers to walk before being able to paddle more than 20ft at one time!

See you around.

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Default Saturday 30th

Just to say I will be out on the windermere from about midday on Saturday.

Launch from NT land just north of Ferry Nab (West shore of windermere) - its free, has carparking and lake is 2ft from the car.

I might see some people out and about:

Can't miss me - red/orange coleman with large guy in it (unfortunately not just height wise). Oh and I have a couple of 'Cumberland' flags stuck to the front it (blue field with a white cross on it).

Got to fly the flag - although yes I live around the westmorland area, but couldn't get the sticker, and a cumberland flag is better than a cumbria flag!!

Pete
    Lakeland Pete