Thread: Good afternoon from Ireland

Default Good afternoon from Ireland

Wow, only just discovered the website. From Uk but living in Ireland the past ten years. Used to kayak alot when younger and have been rediscovering canoing with my eldest son over the past 4 years- we've canoed in sweden and canada (quebec). Ireland is great for open canoing- lots of lakes, canals and slow moving rivers. Bought a 158 Old Town two years ago and have canoing alot here- royal canal/ shannon/erne waterways, lakes in cavan and in the north of ireland. Apart from my friend Jan not seen another canoe in the four years!

Sunday 1 Aug we set off to try and canoe across ireland from dublin to limerick down the royal canal, the river inny, loch ree then down the shannon. If anyone else has done this would love to hear from them!

Will post images if i can work out how to do them.

Andrew

Hi Owen,
    I think you have to have at least 2 posts before you can post pictures. But welcome to SOTP. Sounds like you have been doing some interesting trips and Im sure everybody would love to see some blogs from you neck of the woods.
    Big Drip.

Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to your blogs and contributions. It is a great place to paddle over here, hopefully we can meet on the water some time.

Happy paddling and blogging.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Sounds like a good trip, Hello from Cork
    Eoin

Default update

should really put this on blog but will wait till i get a bit further. First three days i made it from dublin to Mullingar- about 80 km and 23 locks or so. 29, 27 and 24 Km each day. Ache quite a lot now. Set off from mullingar tomorrow morning.

can follow on the canoeacross ireland blogspot but it wont let me put the link in here!

Andrew

Default Welcome

Hi Andrew/Owen???

I went down the Inny a few months ago with the Tullamore Canoe Club. Lovely bunch of people who you could do a lot worse than get involved with. They invited me down for the paddle with Becky Mason and her hub Reid. Very cool indeed. Some nice bits of grade 2 on the Inny and a few playspots as well.

I've also been to Ree after paddling from Banagher to Athlone. Ree is very pleasent indeed.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your blog. Sounds like a grand trip indeed.

Ciaran.

Default ciaran

Good to hear someone has been down the inny recently - presumably in a canadian canoe? Was getting a bit nervous about heading blind down the inny with a 13 year old and a load of gear!

The stretch we did today was mullingar to ballinagarricgy (or something like that) only 20 km but 10 locks and i really am begining to feel the strain now. It was a beautiful day and really nice stretch this- more like a slow river with trees on the banks.Tomorrow we hit the inny and saturday Loch ree.

I think i can now put a link on- this is the blog- and i know i spelt canoeing wrong!

www.canoingacrossireland.blogspot.com

thanks for your advice and hopefully bump into another irish paddler one day!

Default Hi from Portstewart!

Greetings from Portstewart, Andrew

That's a super trip, but hard work with all the locks. You could always lash up a portage trolley on your visits back to home base.

Best Wishes

Frank
    The impossible we do at once - miracles take a little longer!

Quote Originally Posted by owengriffiths View Post
    Good to hear someone has been down the inny recently - presumably in a canadian canoe?
    Yes it was in an open boat and it's good value. Couple of nice rapids and small weirs nothing dramatic. Hope you enjoy.

Default ireland follow up

Inny was interesting sure enough but the 13 year at the front did a grand job to make up for the old bloke at the back.

Loch Ree was a nightmare- 2-3 feet waves and strong winds. Shipped a wavefull a couple of times and had to scoop frantically and try and get to shore to bale out.

Finished at Athlone and doing the enxt leg to portumna this weekend...

Sounds good - Lough Ree sounded interesting.