Thread: camping in scotland

Default camping in scotland

well are there any decent campsites in scotland prefferably within 10 -20 miles of loch lomond as we usually camp on the beaches of loch lomond but the river police dont alow that no more and we dont have a canoe to get to the islands thanks were going on wedensday

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    well are there any decent campsites in scotland prefferably within 10 -20 miles of loch lomond as we usually camp on the beaches of loch lomond but the river police dont alow that no more and we dont have a canoe to get to the islands thanks were going on wedensday
    There are loads, mate!!! Nip into WH Smiths & have a look at Cool Camping Scotland. Or Campsites UK on the web give you campsites within 20 miles of a location. Cheers

Default cheers

i was on a website called campsites.uk yesterday but ther was a few on locklomond but they were caravan and campinng

try http://www.scottishcamping.com/ lists site by region

W

Default I have used this site for years,

Default Too cold yet?

Do you reckon it's too cold to camp in Scotland yet?

Depends what you regard as cold and where you are thinking of camping.

I've camped in Scotland, & other places, at well below freezing so no time of year is off the schedule for me. Its normally warmer at night than a bothy option!

The only thing is if you get cold & wet during the day & want to get stuff dry - hard in a tent!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

At least in a bothy you can light a fire and get stuff dryer but I think you are right, in a tent there is a small volume of air to heat, in a bothy, it can be quite large.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    At least in a bothy you can light a fire and get stuff dryer but I think you are right, in a tent there is a small volume of air to heat, in a bothy, it can be quite large.
    Indeed. Last year it too two nights of fires before the ice on the floor defrosted & the mice woke up....you're right about drying stuff though. Mind you, with a huge supply of free wood donated we once got a bothy up to +24c when it was frozen outside....none of us could get to sleep in our winter down sleeping bags....too hot & sweaty!

Sorry, hijacked thread a bit!

Are you thinking campsites or wild camping? Some campsites will be closed but if open having facilities is always good when its cold, & you can normally find a local pub to warm up in. If wild camping for more than a night or two the damp gear thing can get to you.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle