Thread: Best whitewater pfd?

Default Best whitewater pfd?

Was thinking of getting the astral green, but any other suggestions... Like what's the best brand?

I like my Astral tempo 200, but best fit is better then anything else. Astral, palm kokatata yak all make good products.

Have a serious look at the Palm Extrem vest. A few of people I know have them and reckon they're great.

http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/g...trem-vest.html
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Sorry to point out the obvious - but one that fits!

I can't think of at least one person who doesn't suit the new Palm.

There is lots of canoeing stuff I would buy on line but a new BA isn't one of them, any self respecting retailer should have a decent selction for you to try on. You may find as I did that the Astral didn't feel right.

You could add the River Monster to wish consideration list

Good luck on your search.

I use a Yak Ravine that was given to me by a mate who it no longer fitted Its really excellent and much better (IMHO) than the Palm Symbiant WW I used before.

Quote Originally Posted by SunburyAndy View Post
    Sorry to point out the obvious - but one that fits!

There is lots of canoeing stuff I would buy on line but a new BA isn't one of them, any self respecting retailer should have a decent selction for you to try on

I echo Andy comments 100% - try on as many as you can, a BA is one of two things I would never buy over the web (Other being a paddle) get too Brookbank or where-ever and get trying on!

Sam
    Now an Old Town Packer

I agree with Andy - I bought my Palm Extreme off the interweb only to find that it was a little bit big (or at least I had to tape off the adjustment straps as they ended up being way long) - it wasn't a disaster but next time I'll definitely try mine out at a shop first.

I've recently seen some Stohlquist vests and were very impressed by the build quality and features - I think square rock import them. They had lots of little practical things that made them easier to put on etc... Steve Fisher the extreme kayaker swears by them. I don't think you can get a much better recommendation that that.

Although of course most of the features that he's looking for won't be what the normal open boater is interested in. Things like a big pocket for an emergency aqualung when running the Zambezi... hmmm yes I think I'll be sticking my prospector on that...

You can see what he has to say about it on his website. Seeing as he could quite easily get sponsorship from all the manufacturers I believe him when he says it works and that's why he uses it.

K

I'm quite partial to the Palm Symbiant WW, but my son wears the Palm Symbiant Tour which is essentially the same BA but with a front zip. I dislike it as I can not seem to get as good a fit as I do with the WW, and added to which the Tour will not take a harness and cow tail.

How white water are you planning to go? Do you want or need all the advanced white water safety and rescue capability, or like me just want to look 'ard on the bank

As others have said go and try some on and see what feels comfortable.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Mostly to look 'ard
    But I would rather have something and not need it rather than need it and not have it.
    Basically I'm looking for comfort, somewhere to keep a throw line, somewhere to keep a knife, plenty of pockets, and looks good.
    Ta for all the replies by the way!

Plenty of pockets might not be what you actually need. I am thinking of re-entry snag. I have had a N. River Monster for a while now and find it good but hot. I might (very carefully) remove the front pocket.
    Richard.
    What a long strange trip its been.......

Quote Originally Posted by NIKON FE View Post
    Plenty of pockets might not be what you actually need. I am thinking of re-entry snag. I have had a N. River Monster for a while now and find it good but hot. I might (very carefully) remove the front pocket.
    Richard.
    But then where will you put your knife, karabiner, sling and prussiks?
    Gareth

Hi
    The 'HF Serpent' BA is really good, if you can find one, can't understand why they're no longer made

Mick
    Stay safe, enjoy

I think you are spot on with going for a green jacket - assuming of course it fits (which is important)

I used to have a HF serpent and loved it - but it, like most of the others mentioned here are old designs.

Astral really are leading the way here with pfd design

I use an astral willis which is a freestyle variant. It is basically the green jacket with no harness and a tiny bit less padding at the side

they offer free upper body movement and will not ride up like older designs will

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDaze View Post
    But then where will you put your knife, karabiner, sling and prussiks?
    In a grab bag - velcro-ed to the centre thwart/yoke - that stuff is for rescuing others, it does not help the swimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    In a grab bag - velcro-ed to the centre thwart/yoke - that stuff is for rescuing others, it does not help the swimmer.
    Except when you loose your boat and you need to pool resources with others to extract it. Oh and having your knife on you can help in extremis. Same logic for wearing a throw line on a belt, you never leave your boat without it that way
    Gareth

Peak river guide, lots of storage space and the pockets dont get in the way of self rescues, and not too pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by mccabekev View Post
    I think you are spot on with going for a green jacket - assuming of course it fits (which is important)

I used to have a HF serpent and loved it - but it, like most of the others mentioned here are old designs.

Astral really are leading the way here with pfd design

I use an astral willis which is a freestyle variant. It is basically the green jacket with no harness and a tiny bit less padding at the side

they offer free upper body movement and will not ride up like older designs will
    Yep, I'd reccomend the Green Jacket, It's possibly the best BA on the market right now (closely followed by the Kokatat Ronin Pro) and despite looking like it has diminutive pocket space you can get a knife, sling, 3 krabs,2 prussics and a pulley in it without impeding your movement any (you have to put the knife, sling and one krab in the main pocket, 2 krabs in one side pocket, the prussics and pulley in the other side pocket.

I personally wouldn't reccomend the Palm Extrem/Amp, I found it sits much higher on my body than the Green Jacket or Ronin do which is fine in a kayak, but in a C1 or Open canoe, it's pointless, because the BA both restricts you less and works better when it's positioned lower on the chest.
    Joshua Kelly - cboats.net