Thread: looking after your pride and joy

Default looking after your pride and joy

when i have been out in my canoe for the day as soon as i get home i get a bowl of soapy water and wash the boat of inside and out it is amazing how dirty it gets, whilst doing this i check for any damage that may have appeared on the canoe it is generaly small scratches, im normaly quite carefull how i put my canoe in the water i try to avoid sliding it down banks unless it is grass as this causes most of the scratches, i have seen some people drag there boats along tow paths that have gravel on them they do not seem bothered about it ,im sorry but my boat cost me over 1000 so i would like it to last am i alone or does anyone else share this view.

well done, nice to know there are others who care for their boats.

I rise mine too, but usually just hose with plain water, unless they have been on a trailer in wet weather, esp. at this time of year (road salt is a killer).

I also remove air bags for drying, and when everything is dry I brush and hoover the grit out of the bottom of the boat, mainly to protect the airbags which do not like grit.

I've seen folk drag canoes on tarmac
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Quote Originally Posted by tenbaoats
    Its worse when people drag your brand new canoe right in front of you.

First time out in my brand new canoe. After a long day paddling and a couple of hours playing up and down symonds yat. I was totally bushed and couldn't manage the portage back to the top of the rapid. Seeing me struggle two blokes passing by offered to help me. Grateful, I accepted the offer they promptly dragged my lovely new shiny boat up the few jagged steps up from the river. STOP! what the hell are you doing! etc etc.
    The result, big scratches the full length of my canoe.

Tired as I was I carried the canoe on my own from there.
    Rogue

I have an expensive canoe polish I use. 303 aerospace protectorant. Makes my canoes nice and shiny. Just don't use it on the inside.
    Rogue

This morning I felt the need to polish and pamper my pride and joy, as recently it has been used in the sea and more recently ending up with a large amount of earth in it (I rest the blame squarely on the shoulders of AndyM for this one) so I stripped the buoyancy, which most of you know consists of a couple of old scrounged kayak bags, two Land Rover and one car inner tube and gave it all a good old scrub, I couldn't beleive the gunk left by the sea and the amount of sand that poured out from the gunwhales. I then took to polishing the outer with 'Mer' car polish, does a good job of it too. I wonder if this will make the old tub slip through the water faster? It just goes to show that by choosing not to look a bit anal in front of the family and neighbours and taking the soapy water to the boat that it actually serves a purpose. Just think of the abrasive action of kneeling in all that sand, this is apparent under the kneeling thwart already, leason learned.

The down side to this polishing, all the scratches now show up nice and white, making the boat look alot more worn than I thought it was I wonder could I blame AndyM for that one
    Leone_blanco

Journal Entries

I sometimes use a marine wax. It does help with speed.

lee
    you need all the polish you can put on the outside to keep up with us oldies
    and you need to collect the deposits from that bull we saw to help you,
    oh and take your RED canoe with you

i didnt do it
    it wasnt me
    i wasnt there
    it was him
    nature is m X-box

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    I've seen people drag them around waterfalls on a rope over granite studded with sharp quartz because they couldn't pick up their canoe solo to portage it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I have an expensive canoe polish I use. 303 aerospace protectorant. Makes my canoes nice and shiny. Just don't use it on the inside.
    That stuff kicks @$$ I use about a bottle and a half a season.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    I sometimes use a marine wax. It does help with speed.
    I use this on my fiberglass canoe but it doesn't work too good on the plastic ones. The marine wax actually lessens the waters surface tension to make you go faster or something like that. Ask a chemistry professor for the right answer.

On the inside of the plastic canoes about once a month use Murphy's Oil Soap and give a good wash. After any longer trip though a canoe looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years unless you routinely sponge it down while out there.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...