http://www.mitchellblades.co.uk/canoe-paddles/

Mustang

Blade Length: 50cm
    Blade Width: 20cm
    Resistance Area: 980sq cm
    Available Shaft Lengths:
    Straight: 130cm - 150cm
    Cranked: 130cm - 150cm

The Mustang is a perfectly designed paddle for the use of a whitewater C1 paddler and for wild river Canoeing. It has been shaped based on a traditional whitewater C1 paddle and modified to give it a far better edge over its predecessors. With the overall blade profile incorporating a slight dihedral, and extra scoop at the tips, the Mustang offers maximum performance without flutter, or power loss.

The Mustang is one of our 'available stock' paddles shown on the price list. The blades are available in most construction styles, but only in certain colour combination's. Alternative construction styles and colours are available on request for an extra fee of 10.00

Luxor

Blade Length: 50cm
    Blade Width: 20cm
    Resistance Area: 920sq cm
    Available Shaft Lengths:
    Straight: 130cm - 150cm
    Cranked: 130cm - 150cm

Luxor is a graceful C1 blade with a powerful feel. The shape is designed for racing and Slalom, but is perfect for river running C1 and OC1 boats who rely on skill rather than force. It has less surface area then the Mustang, and therefore, it is faster and less strenuous. It is suitable for all abilities.

The Luxor is one of our 'available stock' paddles shown on the price list. The blades are available in most construction styles, but only in certain colour combination's. Alternative construction styles and colours are available on request for an extra fee of 10.00

I have just taken delivery of a "Luxor" paddle. This will be an addition to the "Mustang" I have owned for two years. Hopefully I will be able to take the two out for a little head-to-head test later this week.

What I will say is that Lance Mitchell does produce beautiful looking carbon & fibreglass paddles. The Mustang has felt solid and powerful, and has suffered only superficial scratches from collisions with rocks.

Pictured below L-R Mustang, Luxor and an older slalom blade built by the American Mitchell Paddles (NOT Mitchell Blades-UK)

Took the Mitchells out for a little trip this morning. For a proper WW test there may be some delay. I pootled along the Thames where I have never experienced it quite this low. As a brief aside, it also means that the water has become quite clear and it is easy to spot fish, particularly under overhanging trees. I also experienced being hit by a double scull. I think it shocked them more more than me, and did more damage to their blade than the end of my Yellowstone. BTW I was already to the side as far as I could go, ducking under branches and with barely enough draught for a decent paddle stroke.

Right, to the review:

Mitchell Blades come in a variety of layups to suit depth of pocket. The Mustang is a Carbon Stealth on a Carbon Kevlar shaft. The Luxor is an Ultra Hybrid (in a new shade of blue!) on a Carbon shaft.

The blades have the same overall dimensions, with the shoulders shaved down to produce the Luxor. A reduction of 6%. 60 cm2-a little more than the area of a playing card.

Mitchell fit T-pieces built from loom offcuts, a technique favoured by certain groups of slalomists

The T-piece on the new paddle is tidier than its older sibling-that's what two years practice can do!

Both shafts have an oval indexing section built into the loom.

Off to the weir.

There was a small dribble, but it did produce a little channel of flow to play with.

The Mustang is obviously a familiar friend (though this is the first time I have used it this year). Solid, predictable. Loads of grunt when you need it. These may be virtues, but after some longer sessions I have felt tired and that there is too much paddle there.

The Luxor behaves very much as written up in the Mitchell blurb. On a short flat water sprint, it encourages a smoother style, at a faster cadence. And the boat moves more smoothly as a result. There is still plenty of resistance available.

Other features: both blades have a pronounced spoon

So which do I prefer? Ask me again in the Spring, after they have both had some more use. The Mustang is a muscle paddle, and I would suggest that it is suited to bigger paddlers. The Luxor is more forgiving on the body, so may get more fans.

Another note: both the carbon and C/K looms are quite stiff. This may not suit all users and and softer feel at times may be preferable. My only criticism of these paddles is the limited feedback to the user-but this is so difficult to quantify.

Lance Mitchell produces some very well built, and very pretty composite paddles. I originally went for one just to have something different compared to the ubiquitous Werner. I haven't regretted that decision.

I'm still using an American Mitchell almost identical to the one on the right in your photo. I have no reason to be dissatisfied with it after a dozen years of use. I doubt I'll ever get a chance to try the UK Mitchells.