Thread: Ullswater and Loch Lomond

Default Ullswater and Loch Lomond

Well, our first real trip and we set up base camp at the Waterside Campsite nr. Pooley Bridge. The site is on the waters edge, and we saw lots of other canoeists... its family friendly, quiet in the week but hectic at the weekends... we had the weather on our side...

Taking advantage of the lovely day we set out on our adventure...

and what a day it was...

Landing on our "Private Beach" we were all set for our feast...

Hotdogs... cooked on a tin frame using twigs found around the waterside (pouring water on them afterwards and dusting the area down.....'Leave no footprints!', the twigs, not the hotdogs)

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

A snooze for mum...

....and time to build our own little marking for future explorers to discover....

Later in the week we were joined by the sister in law, and 3 adults and a child later (in my Mad River Explorer 16TT) we had canoed a couple of miles up Ullswater.....being clever we thought we'd sail back....

...looked good...didn't work!!!

The following week we headed to Ardlui, at the northern tip of Loch Lomond and what a change in scenery...

First we headed up the River Falloch.....

For more beans and hotdogs....

And some monkey business...

Then further up the river....

...until we could go no further as the river got so shallow (after about 2 miles)....

Later in the week we headed down Loch Lomond to claim "Ellis Island" as our own sovereign state....

Beaching up, it was time to explore....

Eat more beans and hotdogs....

Take some nice pictures...

Never been to Scotland?

You must be mad!

Buying a canoe has opened up my family to spending more real quality time together, and I hope it will be something to create shared experiences with my son as we grow up together!

Cheers all!!!
    Last edited by FriendlyEllis; 6th-July-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Love it mate......

Can't beat good times in a boat with the family.....and Scotland looked fantastic.... used to go to my Grandparents place in Fort William every Summer holiday.....great times.

Enjoy the creation of some fantastic memories.

Have a great one

Steve
    There are no bad days on the water......its just that some are better than others!!

Cheers Steve.

I'm so looking forward to Ray Mears weekends when the boy is older!

Default Smiling Canoes

Nice one, FriendlyEllis! Looks like you all had fun in perfect weather. We were up on Ulswater at Easter and it was superb. Your canoe is the answer for all your family's relaxation and recreation needs. I have had such a great time with my boys in our canoes and the shared experiences over the past 6 years are important to us all. I look forward to our summer holiday in a couple of weeks' time when we shall venture south into Europe to discover rivers and lakes, both familiar and untravelled, together. Enjoy the summer by getting out on the water whenever you can and don't forget the little fella!
    Do what you love, love what you do,
    Shoo bee doo bee dooooo!

Great pictures, worth the wait

Did you go into the dungeon of the castle on the island?
    John

Red face

Ha ha!
    Yes we did go into the dungeon!
    I believe it used to be a monastery. Opposite the island on the west side of the loch there is a massive pulpit cut into the rock for praying etc. You can see it when you drive passed.

We also found several large diamonds and some silver on the island which my boy collected for his mum!
    Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!

Love it!! Trips like this will last in his memory forever and instil a love of the outdoors that will keep you all coming back. Loch Lomond is my favourite place in the world and its only 25 miles from the front door
    Stevie T

Keep the High Balls Low

Great little adventure that the wee one will remember for ever!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Tremendous. I bought a canoe 25 years ago, used it with wife and three kids. All (including wife) are now canoe coaches. We have had so much fun as a family on super lakes such as Ullswater. Enjoy your family and the wonderful places to which a canoe can take you.

Cheers,

Charlie
    It's turned out nice again!