Thread: Hello from Northampton

Default Hello from Northampton

I have stumbled onto this site almost by accident, and I think it has inspired me to get back on the water

I did plenty of mucking about at the schools sailing centre on Pitsford Reservoir near Northampton in my teens , every time the wind was too low to get up a decent rate of knots in a dingy, we headed out in their plastic 1 and 2 man kayaks instead.

When I got to 18 and learned to drive back in 1996, a few of us got a couple of ratty 70's fibreglass kayaks (I got one of them from my grandfather, it had sat untouched in his garage for a decade) and a large fibreglass open canoe which we patched together (it would seat 3 at a push) and started to explore various bits of the river nene & the grand union around Northampton. The keenest two of us also spent a couple of weeks with the open canoe up in the lakes, mainly on Ullswater.

We drifted off in different directions as you do, and it's been many years since I held a paddle - but my grandfather's old kayak is still in my parents garage, and I have a hankering to get it out again this summer - but I'd prefer a nice (dry & stable!) open canoe, so who knows, maybe I will become a regular on here

I've really enjoyed reading some of the River Nene threads in the blog, brought back some great memories

Hi Wilko

nice to see a Northampton Nene person - there are a few of us Nene locals dotted along the river - best get that Canadian - be great to see you on the river at some point

Quote Originally Posted by neil. View Post
    best get that Canadian - be great to see you on the river at some point
    Thanks for the welcome.

Despite the hundreds of miles I paddled years ago, I feel like a complete and utter novice and will probably be a bit nervous setting off - I think I need to educate myself a lot about gear as well before I attempt to buy anything, but I'm pulling the k***k out this weekend to see if it's still water tight with a view to trying it one evening next week.

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.