Thread: New member from Maidstone, Kent

Cool New member from Maidstone, Kent

Hi all,

I'll admit i don't really know much about canoeing and have only been once or twice whilst on holiday, but I'm really keen on getting involved. Am I right in thinking all I need is a canoe and a BCU membership and I can get out on the Medway and have a try? I wouldn't mind getting some lessons or advice but most of those seem to be for children (I'm 28) so they don't sound that helpful...would it be better to go out with someone who knows their way around first? Any volunteers ?

I live in Maidstone, so I'll primarily be paddling around the Medway/South Coast, but would like to do some longer trips around the UK, I'm pretty keen on camping so doing some logner trips would be interesting.

I'm thinking about getting a Sevylor Colorado or Pointer K2 - any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Stoo
    Last edited by SuperStoo; 16th-June-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: to add liberal sprinkling of smilies...

Welcome Stoo,

You do need a license to paddle the Medway which you can get from the Environment Agency or is included as part of the BCU membership.

A few possibilities to get you going:

1) Kent Canoes run 1/2 day open canoe taster sessions, usually at Yalding.
    2) Maidstone Canoe club run turn up and try sessions on Sunday mornings and have some open canoes.
    3) Ed Bassett is an excellent Kent based open canoe coach if you want to invest in some coaching

I'm based at Yalding and happy to help with a taster session but weekends are difficult for a while but I might be able to do something one evening for a couple of hours in the coming weeks.

Hope that helps

John

Quote Originally Posted by SuperStoo View Post
    Hi all,

I'll admit i don't really know much about canoeing and have only been once or twice whilst on holiday, but I'm really keen on getting involved. Am I right in thinking all I need is a canoe and a BCU membership and I can get out on the Medway and have a try? I wouldn't mind getting some lessons or advice but most of those seem to be for children (I'm 28) so they don't sound that helpful...would it be better to go out with someone who knows their way around first? Any volunteers ?

I live in Maidstone, so I'll primarily be paddling around the Medway/South Coast, but would like to do some longer trips around the UK, I'm pretty keen on camping so doing some logner trips would be interesting.

I'm thinking about getting a Sevylor Colorado or Pointer K2 - any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Stoo

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at the links.

I'll give you a shout once I've sorted a canoe out and maybe we can join up one evening.

Thanks again,

Stoo

Default Welcome

Another pumphull to the fold.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.