Thread: Hello from West Berkshire

Default Hello from West Berkshire

Hiya,

I'm Trevor and live with partner Colette in a small village more or less between Reading and Newbury. I've had a Mad River Eclipse, now discontinued I think, for about 8 years and find it a good blend of size, calacity, and weight - 64LB ish.

We do most of our paddling on the Thames and Kennet but are spending 4 or 5 days camping on the Wye next week. I've noticed there don't seem to be any camp sites in the Hereford area, so if anybody knows of any I'd be most gateful to hear of them.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being an active member of the forum, and no doubt learning a great deal!!

Cheers,

Trevor.

Hello & welcome from just a few miles down the canal in Theale (though I live in Woking). And should be working now!

I'm planning a Wye trip myself, so will let you know what I find out campsite wise. We're only doing 2 days though, so will probably stop just before Hereford. Currently know of one near The Boat (Whitney on Wye, not found contact details yet), & Bycross Farm before Preston-on-Wye. That's as far as I've got!

Might be worth doing a search of bloggs & in Places, though "Wye" is too short to work for the search, there is luckily a short cut at the bottom of the advanced search page http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...?tag=river+wye. I haven't got round to trawling through these yet!

Right, back to work. Hope to see you on the water sometime.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Hello & welcome from just a few miles down the canal in Theale (though I live in Woking). And should be working now!

I'm planning a Wye trip myself, so will let you know what I find out campsite wise. We're only doing 2 days though, so will probably stop just before Hereford. Currently know of one near The Boat (Whitney on Wye, not found contact details yet), & Bycross Farm before Preston-on-Wye. That's as far as I've got!

Might be worth doing a search of bloggs & in Places, though "Wye" is too short to work for the search, there is luckily a short cut at the bottom of the advanced search page I haven't got round to trawling through these yet!

Right, back to work. Hope to see you on the water sometime.
    Hiya Mal,

There's coincidence. I work at Arlington Business Park!!

I've been doing a search on the forum and it seems that campig is possible at Herefrod Rowing Club as long as permission is obtained first. I'll investigate and let you know if I find out more.

Cheers,

Trevor.

I'm just over the railway bridge then!

We'll have to work on an evening paddle sometime. I often do a quick hour from Sheffield Bottom Lock.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hi Trevor.

I used to work at Sulhamstead. The river and canal around there look very pleasant but the only two times I paddled them was on the DW and I was too tired to take in the scenery.

I did the Wye a couple of years ago in less than perfect conditions. It was raining heavily and the river rose by several feet over the three days it took us to do it.

The Environment Agenct do a very informative book called "Wye Canoe?" which provides just about all the information you would need for a trip, including camp sites with contact information. I can recommend it although it won't leave you with much change from a tenner. Amazon stock it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorB View Post
    Hiya,

I'm Trevor and live with partner Colette in a small village more or less between Reading and Newbury. I've had a Mad River Eclipse, now discontinued I think, for about 8 years and find it a good blend of size, calacity, and weight - 64LB ish.

We do most of our paddling on the Thames and Kennet but are spending 4 or 5 days camping on the Wye next week. I've noticed there don't seem to be any camp sites in the Hereford area, so if anybody knows of any I'd be most gateful to hear of them.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being an active member of the forum, and no doubt learning a great deal!!

Cheers,

Trevor.

Hi Trevor! Also from West Berks here!!! And popping over to the Wye later this week - although we're going around Ross. Not sure about Hereford! Sorry!!!

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the advice. I have the Wye Canoe book and it is very useful. It's just there seems to be a lack of camping sites around Hereford itself. I'm going to contact Hereford rowing club as I've heard that they'll accommodate canoeists.

Cheers,

Trevor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Dickinson View Post
    Hi Trevor.

I used to work at Sulhamstead. The river and canal around there look very pleasant but the only two times I paddled them was on the DW and I was too tired to take in the scenery.

I did the Wye a couple of years ago in less than perfect conditions. It was raining heavily and the river rose by several feet over the three days it took us to do it.

The Environment Agenct do a very informative book called "Wye Canoe?" which provides just about all the information you would need for a trip, including camp sites with contact information. I can recommend it although it won't leave you with much change from a tenner. Amazon stock it.

Quote Originally Posted by batfink View Post
    Hi Trevor! Also from West Berks here!!! And popping over to the Wye later this week - although we're going around Ross. Not sure about Hereford! Sorry!!!
    Enjoy yer trip Batfink. Let's hope the weather is reasonably kind!

Cheers.

Default Welcome

Good to have you along for the trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.