Thread: Hi from Reading

Default Hi from Reading

Hello there. My name is Mark. I've spent many years kayaking and surf skiing and for the past year have been paddling a Perception Kiwi 2 open kayak with my son and partner. Although it's a great little boat we were never quite happy with the Kiwi and wanted something we could take out on day and overnight trips. I hadn't paddled a canoe for some years but decided to take the plunge, and after doing a bit of research, I finally decided on an Old Town Discovery 158 which I picked up earlier this week.

My partner and I got straight out on the Kennet and immediately fell in love with the boat. Only thing we aren't so keen on is the weight, but I spent yesterday afternoon making a device so I can roll it up the back of my car. I've also just invested in a C Tug as I can't see me portaging the boat too far without one!!

Anyway...thanks to all here who have posted various reviews as they really helped us to come to our final decision, I have a feeling we're going to spend many a happy moment in "Ollie".

Look forward to sharing our outings with you all
    All the best
    Mark

Hello and welcome Mark.

I also used to own a kiwi 2 before moving onto an open canoe.

the Reading rivers are my local paddling spots, Thames and Kennet, maybe I will see you on the water soon.

Richard.
    You don't stop playing because you are old, you get old because you stop playing.

Welcome to song of the Paddle. Lugging the canoe around on the land can be a pain but once on the water the weight pretty much become irrelevant and is just fun all the way
    John

Hello & Welcome from another South East paddler, based in Woking but working in Theale.

There's plenty of water about, obviously the Kennet & the Thames, but you're not far from the Cherwell, Basingstoke Canal & the River Wey, all of which offer great paddling.

The C-Tug will come in handy for all those locks on the Kennet & Avon canal!!!

Hope to see you on the water sometime

Mal
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Welcome!

Welcome fellow paddler!!

I'm up for a social paddle on the weekend of the 19th June. Anyone local interested?

(Wey, Kennet, Grand Union, Basingstoke Canal ect).

Hi Mark! I'm not a million miles away, over in Newbury and frequently paddle the Thames through Adventure Dolphin in Pangbourn - as well as the occasional jaunt on the K&A (although the locks are sooooo annoying!). Perhaps see you on the water some time?

Default Welcome

Doesn't matter what you paddle, as long as you paddle.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.