Thread: Lendal Nordkapp Carbon Sea Kayak Paddle 218cm Modified

Default Lendal Nordkapp Carbon Sea Kayak Paddle 218cm Modified

For those paddlers interested in a double bladed paddle to supplement/replace whatever their single blade stick here is a paddle which is so light i will describe its weight merely as negligible.With this though comes a word of warning,these blades have the softest catch but catch a lot of water they do and will test any shoulder,elbow or wrist weaknesses of the paddler wielding them to the limit.This said with a little common sense applied and a little restraint anyone nearly may use these on the water.

There it is Lendal made in Scotland which these were indeed.

There is the full blade in carbon composite,above the connector the shaft is a mix of carbon and fibreglass .

This shot is of the nordie blade next to that of a whiskeyjack goodsky for the purpose of scale comparison.

Yet another this time on the deck showing the paddles 9ft length.Next i will show how this paddles main three parts join together.

Yes it is with Lendals legendary Paddlok system and here is the key required to tighten them up.

The fact is Lendal have engineered the joints so well this paddle can be used without the key in the case of you having lost it .The tolerances are tight but not super tight ,this feature prevents the joints locking up completely ,seizing,in the event of sand or such getting in.
    Note the twin drip rings on the paddle shaft,this set up prevents ANY drips from the paddle getting onboard if you choose a low angle style with these.For high angle paddling simply drop out the middle section which drops the paddle back to sea kayak length and away you go.I cannot overstate just how quick my Prism is when paddled in this way.

In summary this paddle wighs nothing,can be broken down into five parts,it weighs nothing and may in certain circumstances be the difference between life and death.As a paddler w

ho paddles all year round i take comfort in knowing i have this capable tool at my disposal if i need it.

A tall order to beat this in the paddling stakes.......although i appreciate it may not be to everyones tastewillie
    "Every action of our lives touches on
    some chord that will vibrate in eternity"

Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Crow is online now こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

I was lucky enough to get a chance to try one of these paddles today.

It was the longest paddle I've ever used but incredibly light. The blades just seem to skim through the water, but they certainly shift it too.

The twin drip rings did the job as I never got a drop of water on me, despite "giving it welly". (Just as well as I was wearing my town clothes and about to head for home).

Willie talks about some restraint being required, this is possibly true or you will be in serious danger of reaching escape velocity and taking to the air!

The build quality is excellent, it looks and feels like something from the aerospace industry.

Made in Scotland from girders? More like Made in Scotland fron spider webs and moonbeams.

A lovely paddle.

Only drawback is the price. At umpteen hundred quid, you could get a boat for that money.

Maybe if I sold the Vermeer....

Quality used blogs at affordable prices

Crow Trip Log

Dear Mr Crow,

I am thinking about upgrading my paddle. Doglet and I are in training to paddle to New Zealand ( she wants to meet her grandfather) , so we are now out several times a week, training, quite often after work. Now, to put things into perspective, one of the places I work has bullet holes in the waiting room glass. So I was very interested to read of an american made paddle by a company called werner which is allegedly so tough it has been successfully used as a machete to cut down trees in difficult times. Now apart from the so obvious delights that a very light weigh paddle may offer when you are out paddling for over 6 hours, it did also occur to me that a paddle which could also fell a marauding pine tree if needs be as one passed through the urban jungle might be a exceedingly useful multi tasking tool, if you get my drift.
    So what would you recommend? :-)

Doglet and Fiona

I take it your built like the Hulks BIG brother if you can swing a set of Nordkapps on a shaft that length, thats one hell of a long lever!

Stuart.

@Fiona: although Werners have the reputation to be very tough I don't think they can actually withstand that much of abuse. It's like every piece of gear: they are designed to be used a lot and hard for their purpose. Most of the stories of paddlers driving cars over paddles are from whitewater paddlers who use zero or very low degree feathers. I.e. the paddle lies almost flat on the ground. With a higher degree feather (70 +) the forces on the paddle shaft are a lot different.

Lendal paddles are made in the USA these days, not in Scotland anymore. I don't know if there are huge differences in quality but the Scotland built paddels are really strong.

If I was going to paddle for 6+ hours I would rather use a lightweight paddle and carry a decent knife of machete in my boat just in case rather than paddle a heavy super sturdy paddle that might also double as a machete ;-)

Just my 2 cents, cheers,

Michiel

Thank you for your advice, white water rafters sound very bad drivers! Won't park near them any more! :-)
    I think you are right, I am off to look at some super light weight paddles today, and maybe make my bank account a whole lot lighter too. :-)
    If I have to defend the dog and the boat in the middle of manchester, I can always aim for soft squishy bits so I don't damage the paddle, guess the blood would wash off!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FionaDalzell View Post
    Dear Mr Crow,

I am thinking about upgrading my paddle. Doglet and I are in training to paddle to New Zealand ( she wants to meet her grandfather) , so we are now out several times a week, training, quite often after work. Now, to put things into perspective, one of the places I work has bullet holes in the waiting room glass. So I was very interested to read of an american made paddle by a company called werner which is allegedly so tough it has been successfully used as a machete to cut down trees in difficult times. Now apart from the so obvious delights that a very light weigh paddle may offer when you are out paddling for over 6 hours, it did also occur to me that a paddle which could also fell a marauding pine tree if needs be as one passed through the urban jungle might be a exceedingly useful multi tasking tool, if you get my drift.
    So what would you recommend? :-)

Doglet and Fiona

Thank you for your advice, white water rafters sound very bad drivers! Won't park near them any more! :-)
    I think you are right, I am off to look at some super light weight paddles today, and maybe make my bank account a whole lot lighter too. :-)
    If I have to defend the dog and the boat in the middle of manchester, I can always aim for soft squishy bits so I don't damage the paddle, guess the blood would wash off!

Doglet and Fiona,

I wouldn't waste a nice paddle like the Lendl on "wildlife" in the urban jungle. It's too good for them. If you were in Scotland, I would recommend a good old fashioned claymore, but that would look out of place in NZ or even Mancs and might even attract the wrong sort of attention.

How about a Maori item, such as a waihaka?

Looks like it could double as a spare paddle too.

Funnily enough, I will be picking up a new paddle in Manchester myself this week, but sadly not a Lendl as I am just a poor boy (and my story's seldom told) ...

Crow Trip Log

The Werner, I think, is this one (Nantahala) ... maybe not the best for paddling an inflatable kayak though ... rafts & opens ... yes.

Looking forward to more paddle reviews very shortly ... Mr Crow & doglet (or Fiona)?
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Hi Mr Potty,

Have been to my local and fondled a werner, it was gorgeous.....they did not have one in my size, so one of suitable dimensions is arriving in 3 weeks for me to take out on a date. I will tell you all about it the morning after!

Hi Mr Potty,

Have been to my local and fondled a Werner, it was gorgeous.....they did not have one in my size, so one of suitable dimensions is arriving in 3 weeks for me to take out on a date. I will tell you all about it the morning after!
    That sounds sooooo naughty :-) ... although I have to admit that I too fondled a Werner today ... a bent shaft split sea kayaking paddle, sooo light ... but shhhh ... don't tell my Nantahala ... it might get jealous
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Journal Entries

Potty, you are on the wrong site again!

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Potty, you are on the wrong site again!
    Ooops
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Mr Potty,
    Where did you fondle yours? was it the same place I fondled mine? Sounds like we both were fondling the same paddle....was yours not big enough too? I now understand why the paddle department is at the back of the shop behind the wet suits....if anyone could have seen me trying out this thing they would have thought I had lost my mind!

Mr Potty,
    Where did you fondle yours? was it the same place I fondled mine? Sounds like we both were fondling the same paddle....was yours not big enough too? I now understand why the paddle department is at the back of the shop behind the wet suits....if anyone could have seen me trying out this thing they would have thought I had lost my mind!
    Mine, no it's not mine I'm afraid, it belongs to a friend and it goes with with her lovely sea kayak ... mind you, she'd left her paddle on the floor of the car park at Astbury Lake ... and had forgotten that it was there ... so it could have been mine ... but I'm not that mean ... I picked it up, caressed it and returned it to it's rightful owner
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

You are so strong. So principled. I would have abducted the paddle, taken photos of it in a compromised position and demanded a ransom:-)

Journal Entries

Yes, Fiona, I do believe you would!

Potty, I have cancelled my subscription to that other site (with the paddles on webcams), as it's all happening on here now.

Crow Trip Log

...... Potty, I have cancelled my subscription to that other site (with the paddles on webcams), as it's all happening on here now.
    Crow ... I really love the idea of a One Stop Shop .... now just where are those SotP webcams?

Folks ... just what have we done to Packman's original Lendal thread?
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Journal Entries

Willie won't mind. He'll love it.

Anyway Fiona can post another paddle review soon. And I'm sure it will be interesting reading.

Crow Trip Log

Willie won't mind. He'll love it.

Anyway Fiona can post another paddle review soon. And I'm sure it will be interesting reading.
    Sheeesh ... I can't wait ... and if the review is flagged through to the makers ... Fiona might get her paddle for free ... and a queue of other paddles to test too
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Mr Potty has been an absolute marvel. He is so patient, and a wonderful mentor. He asked me if I knew about feathering. I figured he was talking about the thing that is happening to my paddle, the one I have owned for nearly 6 weeks so its to be expected. The edges are all , well , feathered. The hard uncompromising plastic edges have evolved into something more like the periphery of a vulture's wing, which I feel must be so much better for flying, I mean paddling.Which is the same, no? Water and air are all fluid dynamic mediums, aren't they? My edges look like a fractalulated sea anenome tentacles....but I have been taught now that feathering is not to do with dissolution of the paddle into its medium, its to do with angles and wind resistance. I feel so embarrassed. Its not about frilly edges.
    If anyone gives me a paddle for free, no doubt it would only be to buy my silence!

Default Lendal Nordkapp

Packman,

with high interest I was reading your post about your Lendal paddel. I was just about to order the (smaller) Archipelago from Lendal but your post made me think twice. I was afraid the Nordkapp blade being too large but may be it is not - may be it is just right. I will use it in high angle modus when I really need to move despite ugly circumstances and my standard canoe paddle will not do the job anymore. Hard work for a limited number of hours but not all day long nor many days in a row. Now are you Hulks brother or somewhat normal? Would you have any other thoughts to consider for choosing the right blade?
    thanks Canuck

Hello there, firstly i have to point out that i am of average build .As a brickie to trade i
    have however developed strength and stamina in the muscle groups sharing use in paddling .

The Nordkapp is a tremendous blade and versatile with it. The best way to go if you can is to spend a day
    paddling with some and see how you go .....on days two and three......some seem to find that the smaller blades suit
    proponged sessions paddling........i do not share this view and find that after a proper warm up the big blades
    are unlikely to hurt you.That said if you shoot out cold with these big blades and attack hard you run serious risk of pain and injury.
    If after day one you are sore then the days following could become a trial and it may be smaller blades suit you better.

The big thing for me is that with a gentle cadence these blades still
    pull you along efficiently enough touring and may be paddled like this effortlessly day in day out but when you need to motor along fast then it is a simple matter of upping the rate,getting your head down
    and the horizon will come quicker,much quicker!!! This in a way that small blades simply cannot match.

You will grow to love these paddles which are so dependable and durable,atb in your final selection,willie

Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Packman,

with high interest I was reading your post about your Lendal paddel. I was just about to order the (smaller) Archipelago from Lendal but your post made me think twice. I was afraid the Nordkapp blade being too large but may be it is not - may be it is just right. I will use it in high angle modus when I really need to move despite ugly circumstances and my standard canoe paddle will not do the job anymore. Hard work for a limited number of hours but not all day long nor many days in a row. Now are you Hulks brother or somewhat normal? Would you have any other thoughts to consider for choosing the right blade?
    thanks Canuck
    Hi Canuck,

I just read your post and wondered if a wing paddle would not suit you better? Modern blades like the Epic or Jantex Gamma are reasonably friendly (similar to normal paddles, unlike the early wing paddles) and I have used my Jantex Gamma medium/large (similar to the Epic Medium I suppose) in quite stormy and choppy circumstances without any problems.

The advantage of a wing is to me that it also provides extra grip in the water, thus providing more stability while also providing more power and thrust.

I am not the hulk's brother (far from it) and love my Jantex Gamma, wish I had bought it sooner but did not know until I did so.
    BTW: I do use these paddles on longish distances (20k is not unusual) and use them in a variety of boats (modern ICF K1 and sleek touring kayaks of about 55 cm wide).

Just my 2 cents, Cheers,
    Michiel

The comment about being the size of the Hulks big brother was made regarding the extended shaft, the Nordkapp is the second largest blade in the Lendal range and is designed to drive a sea kayak not something with as much drag as a canoe , the Archipelago would seem to be the better choice for using from a canoe as it is a smaller low angle style blade, however Canuk says that the intention is to use the paddle in a high angle style so I would suggest a Lendal Kinetic tour, there are four sizes of blade,600(xs),650(s),700(the original),and 750(L). The choice of blade size comes down to how you want to paddle, if you want to paddle in high gear(low stroke rate high effort) or low gear (high stroke rate low effort) ,I tend to be able to go faster for longer with a smaller blade size, I also find the smaller blade with the higher cadence works much better into the wind which is probably where it would get most use from a canoe. As for michielv's suggestion of using a wing paddle, I really can't see that working from a canoe, the wing is designed to work with a skinny K1, the catch should be as close to the boat and as vertical as possible, pretty hard to do with the height of the gunwales on a canoe, they are also pretty expensive, great paddles in the right boat but I just can't see it working from a canoe.

Default The Kinetic Tour

is also a nice paddle,i have the originals in what was probably batch one, sweet as these are
    when i compare them back to back the Nordkapp,[ which i frequently do].the Nordies is still the biz....for me.

Blade size shaft length and type are definitely subjective and no one size type fits all.
    The wing types i associate with racing or high speed touring and use them in this way but
    i chose not to work them longer for my open and in the past SOT for that reason.

What i will point to here is Gordons impressions of my paddle and i think he says it all perfectly.
    For the We No Nah Prism the Nordkapp blades are very efficient and manageable with it.

Come ahead and try the paddle out if you like.Lendal paddles are very good throughout the whole range
    and every paddler may find one to suit them if they choose.
    Last edited by packman; 17th-January-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: grammar

Edwin Hubbel Chapin