Thread: 23rd, 24th and maybe morning of the 25th paddle

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default 23rd, 24th and maybe morning of the 25th paddle

I'm free the weekend before Xmas and was thinking about a wee paddling/camping trip around the islands of Loch Lomond from Aldochay Bay on that weekend. My lavuu is arriving this week from Bison and it will be a good chance to try it out (Tinde 8).

As usual, you know the score if anyone wants to pop along.

Woodsmoke
    Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I'd hope to join you, out on the water, albeit in spirit only, as I shouldn't be working that weekend, and will finally then, get a chance to get the boat out.

Being at both ends of the county preculdes a quick trip out in person of course, but the feel of the boat on our own waters will travel that distance for us.

I am definately going for a paddle over christmas as well. Once again wrong end of the country.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Default cheers guys

That's really nice guys. There is diversity in differences, togetherness in midwinter spirit. Onwards to spring and the return of the sun. I'll have a toast of sloe gin or mead to you all!

I will be in Helensburgh over the hill. Could make Friday as I finish school at 12.45pm. Could be there at 2ish. Would stay over friday night, paddle around saturday.

May have to collect relatives on friday but 80% need to hammock out.

Nick

Default wey hey...

Wey hey hey the Bison Tinde 8 arrived today and just in time for the weekend!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodsmoke View Post
    Wey hey hey the Bison Tinde 8 arrived today and just in time for the weekend!
    We NEED pictures and your impressions.

Default :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    We NEED pictures and your impressions.
    Well MK, I'm off tomorrow so once the car is MOT'd I'll stick it up in the motherinlaws garden (huge bit of flat grass) and take picks n post them up.

So far, from what I have seen with it unrolled on the living room floor, the quality looks unbelievably good and robust for only £260 ! The outer bag alone would be worth buying as a dump sack it's so tough and waterproof! , the ground sheet is also very heavy/tough. You are not gonna believe how they store the segments of the centre pole..it's just very very clever and I'm pretty sure unique! Each segment goes inside the next and what looks like a telescotpic sight plastic lens cover goes over both ends pulled togther with bungee!

There's absolutely no instructions however there is a small diagram of the floor plan of the Tinde 8 so you know how many pegs you need to stake out the base (14 for the Tinde 8). The pegs are seriously tough, not your wire pegs but pressed metal heavy duty jobs for tough ground!

I'm gobsmacked at the quality so far but tomorrow will really show it for what it is worth

So this weekend, the trip is on ?

I may be able to make the saturday for a day paddle. Maybe
    overnight sat.

Just looked at http://www.mwis.org.uk/synoptic.php#120 for the weekend
    looks like this High is holding on and trying to push N Atlantic lows up north.

Nick

I'll be on the loch from Aldochly at a time from 9am-10.30am
    with my brother, don't know the exact start time sorry.

If we see you we will be in a Charles River, re-curved ends
    dark green.

Maybe see you around the islands. Very clear weather forecast.

Nick

Default ok

ok dokey,

I'll be there for around then too. If I don't see you at the laybye I'll see you around the islands. Red reflection dagger.

Woodsmoke

Never saw you ?

We left aldochlay at 10.22. Paddled around and thru the narrows, stopped for a bit then back around past luss. Passed 4 sea kayakers, knew two of them, then saw a sprint boat out and when we left the layby and went to luss then returned, 5 mins later, we saw a red plastic kayaker at the cars.

Nice day for a paddle. Photos to follow.

Nick

Default ....

sorry man we woke up to a flooded kitchen with a burst mains pipe leading to our boiler with water spraying everywhere! Ended up I could have canoed in our kitchen! I managed to shut off the water supply and It was 21.30 hrs before plumber could arrive.

What a week, I was so looking forward to a paddle too. Maybe Midge will let me go tomorrow after cleaning up...

This week my stepson was assaulted while playing football and as I drove him to A and E my car got a flat. My tyre wrench folded in half trying to get the wheel off...The A A finally helped in the small hours after we got back from Hospital. The next day my car failed it's MOT... it was getting work done in the local garage, they ordered the wrong parts and left it locked up for xmas, I finally managed to get it late last night after much haggling with the garage for the trip today and now a biblical flood!

Enjoy Xmas after all that.

We were diligently watching for a teepee around all the islands.

Nick