Thread: Campsites by the Water

Journal Entries

Default Campsites by the Water

I was contacted by Stephen who has made up a site listing campsites by the water. The site is here

http://www.cabbagemedia.com/campsites/

it is being updated constantly so worth checking. I am going to make this thread sticky as well for members to add any sites they know of.

Default Coigach /Summer Isles Campsite

A new campsite with launching place has opened in Coigach.

http://www.portabhaigh.co.uk for details.

Favourable comment on UKRGB (the source of the above info) at

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...hp?f=4&t=77183
    Last edited by andre; 5th-May-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: link

Looks beautiful.
    Campsites on Water - Touch the river to sample the last that has gone and that which is to follow.

I stayed at the Summer Isles site in summer 2011 when it had just opened and I'd go back tomorrow. Great for sea kayaking but not sure about general canoeing as Summer Isles paddling requires a good knowledge of tidal planning and experience of salt water paddling. Even in summer the weather can soon whip up and create conditions which would challenge the most experienced canoeist, so don't contemplate a trip off shore if you can't self rescue!

Great campsite though and it has a pub at the top of the drive which serves food. Awesome beaches close by. No midges whilst we were there, probably due to sea breeze.

The Summer Isles are truly quite a special place and I would return in a heart beat. If you're heading up, make sure you take everything you need because they're remote indeed.
    By sea, river, lake and canal

the original site as loaded by John (Magikelly) www.cabbagemedia.com/campsites was a useful little list of waterside campsites. Now it is just an add for the book .Fair enough, I have no problem with that but, its no longer a ""list" as originally intended.

Quite right, Jimi. My original website got hacked and was closed by Bluehost last year because I refused to pay their massive costs to install security fixes that they should supply IMO as standard. The original website is here: http://web.archive.org/web/201004072...com/campsites/ so best continue to use that for now until I get around to uploading the entire lost data again, which will take me some time. Because the site is a timed archive, the quickest way to access all of campsite addresses by location is to use the sidebar 'categories' menu rather than the flags.
    Campsites on Water - Touch the river to sample the last that has gone and that which is to follow.

thanks waterword..thanks for the update and, as I said I didn't have a problem .so now this is still a great little tool as I am hoping to get "waterside" this summer.

I got an app the other day called wikkicamps uk, might be worth a look at, not had chance to use it yet, but seems ok

9. Default

Great resource - thank you

Handy! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul_fox View Post
    I got an app the other day called wikkicamps uk, might be worth a look at, not had chance to use it yet, but seems ok
    Use it all the time, just have to switch between PaddlePoint and Wikkicamps and all your bases are covered ��
    Simms ..

Default Wild Camping on the Norfolk Broads

Alderfen Marshes offers canoe-friendly wild camping options on the Norfolk Broads - a short paddle to the River Yare and easy access to the remote backwaters of the Southern Broads. The Marshes are a privately owned conservation area which offer privacy, peace and quiet for campers. Canadian canoe hire is available on site or campers can take their own canoes.