Thread: Winter warmers for camping/paddling...

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default Winter warmers for camping/paddling...

Well I thought I'd let you know of my bargains recently on ebay.

I have a terrible job keeping my feet dry when bivi'ing out or camping. I use goretex socks a lot but what I wanted was something that I could wear inside my sleeping bag and/or easily slip on if I was pottering around the camp and I did not want to put wet boots on...

I bought these bivi boots for 49p on ebay which is great for inside your sleeping bag and I bought the latest style NBC overboots for 5 (new) to slip over them for pottering around camp... Midgie is modeling them!

My other problem was hands...my good lady suffers terribly from cold hands when paddling in the colder months so I bought these of ebay for 10. They are new royal marines issue moisture vapour permeable (goretex like) extreme coldweather over mitts. They are very comfy to wear and do the trick so well I bought another pair for me. They are so easy to use when paddling.

Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...

Nice bivvi boots. Were they a one off or from an ebay shop? I wouldn't mind a pair to slip over rock shoes when belaying in the cold on multipitches.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by woodsmoke View Post

My other problem was hands...my good lady suffers terribly from cold hands when paddling in the colder months so I bought these of ebay for 10. They are new royal marines issue moisture vapour permeable (goretex like) extreme coldweather over mitts. They are very comfy to wear and do the trick so well I bought another pair for me. They are so easy to use when paddling.

Hmm, useful - Did those overmitts come with a liner at all, or are they 'just' the MVP mitts?

I could do with a pair in the pocket of my field jacket.

... and that DPM is hardly noticable in that environment too ...

Default sources

The bivi boots were a one off I'd seen on ebay although I've seen them previously for around 5-10 a pair. I've worn them with the NBC boots out in the garden at night in the frost and they are very warm, I can't feel the cold through the ground at all with them both on.

The Mitts are brand new current issue, I've only ever seen the older green goretex ones before and they are not that great to be honest, these ones however are outstanding. I only bought the outers as that is all I wanted. I am using normal gloves inside. He does have them in stock though if anyone wants them.

I've bought two pairs from this guy
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Paddlesdown-Limited

The NBC over boots were from this guy
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Littlejems-Surplus

The overmitts look a great buy for the winter, I'll be following up on that one.
    On e-bay yesterday, I highest bidded on a new Nanok Comfort, minus 5 degrees, down sleeping bag, paid 61 inc p&p.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Cheers WS, I'm off over there for a look now ...

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but what you are wearing on your feet woodsmoke looks like the "modern" (cheaper and less effective) replacement for the military issue mukluk (Arctic footwear) I haven't used the new ones, but the old ones (based on what the Norwegians use) was toasty!
    cheers Phil.

Default corrected..

Phil,

my good lady is wearing the arctic issue bivi boots (the green padded sock things).

The black butyl over boots are actually MK V NBC overboots that I use over the top of the green bivi boots.
    They came vacum packed labled MK V NBC boots-these are not MUKLUKS, although the marines are issued with cammo goretex over boots which tend to be called mucks. Have a look at them on the ebay link that I posted.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. I've not seen the new stuff!