Thread: 20th or 21st December

Default 20th or 21st December

As I am not one for all this christmas shopping chaos, I was wondering if anybody wanted to meet up for a mid-week paddle on the Wye or the Upper Thames. Both have easy access & will only be grade 1 - 2. Length of paddles (so to speak) would be about three hours.

Wye - Easy route would be from Goodrich castle to Simmonds Yat - it takes 2 -3 hours & there would be a couple of ripples at this time of year - but nothing too dramatic. The aim would be to be in the Saracen's Head for lunch (they stop serving at 1430). Maybe onto Monmouth depending on numbers & light!!!

Thames - Again easy - but a narrow wiggly bit of river from Cricklade to Lechlade. Good Access, exit depends on if barrier is down & may be a 300 yard jaunt across a public park ( all grass). There are two or three pubs for lunch to warm up the cockles again.

Both would be fun for experienced families or just a couple of boaters who want to avoid the shopping mayhem. Fingers crossed that the weather is kind, as the water would be cold for a dip!!

Hughie
    Hugh
    Sunny Cheltenham

Wind is the devils creation

sorry Hughie - I've got a mixture of school/work/chaperoning a son to the dentist (cant sign for himself yet).
    hope you find some company!

good luck with the dentist!!

as i work most weekends i end up with paddletime midweek - generally nice and quiet!!
    Hugh
    Sunny Cheltenham

Wish I could, but I work in the week. Hope you enjoy yourself.

A new idea - may be due to lack of interest & maybe due to high water levels around these parts - Gloucester & Twekesbury. We may need to try a Severn Flood plain expedition - so polers would be welcome. We might end up getting some cracking silly photos - a canoe should not be there type thing. The river Avon is now very very wide - so if the wind dies down then we could paddle from Eckington (Bredon) to Twekesbury.
    Hugh
    Sunny Cheltenham

Have to say the flood plain round Tewkesbury looked very inviting when I drove down the M5 today, if a little windy! If only I wasn't busy mid week...

The Sun had just about burnt through the fog & so I went out on the Avon. I looked by Breedon to see if the flood waters were up & if I could paddle past the chaos on the M5 - but the waters have dropped by 6 - 7 ft . Rather than stare at the traffic, I went up to Eckington Bridge & paddled upsteam to Nafford Lock. There were huge lumps of foam from the weir being washed down. The debris was all over the banks from the floods & I saw heron, buzzards, ducks & a cormorant but nobody else. Normally you see a couple of cruisers but was cold & tranquil. I walked over to the weir was was in huge flow. The current to paddle back to Eckington bridge was great & for once no wind to battle with. A very pleasant couple of hours was had while chaos ruled at the airports & shops.
    Hugh
    Sunny Cheltenham