Thread: Bushcraft Bow Saw

Default Bushcraft Bow Saw

Maynard has been making some home made bushcraft bow saws, £45 plus post and packaging. Have a look at this page for information and this one for a web photo album with more information.
    PM maynman if you would like one?
    A quality saw for all outdoor uses and an ideal Christmas for yourself!!
    Last edited by nigelp; 3rd-December-2006 at 02:57 PM.

I've tried a lot of Buck Saws and currently use the Quick Buck Saw from Duluth but I am looking forward to trying one of these.

I like the way the blade is protected when taken down as with some of the wooded saws you have to find a way of storing the blade yourself. I understand these are 21 inch saws but that there may be plans for a 24 inch version as well.

Not sure I saw it on the web site but I know from talking to Maynman that all the fixings are stainless steel. So at least I will not have to worry about the bolts rusting through.
    John

I've got one of these saws and will be doing a full review in time but can give a few comments from the use at the weekend.

Plus points.
    It is well made and feels great in the hand.
    It sets up very quickly with no small bits to lose.
    The nature of the saw makes it easy to use with two hands on one side making sawing a lot easier.
    The wood is warm in the cold and the saw looks great

Negative points
    I broke the cord tensioning the saw but it was easily replaced with utility cord. The original cord breaking is of course a negative but the ease of replacing the cord shows the ability to service the saw easily.
    The saw is not that light.
    The blade is a peg and raker style for green wood and I prefer a peg only blade for dead wood (an easy fix as the blade is a standard t]length)
    The blade is only 21 inches and I prefer a longer blade but I believe there are plans for a bigger version.

My main comparison is to the Quick Buck Saw as reviewed on the main site. The QBS is lighter, quicker to set up and has a longer blade. Maynman's saw is more comfortable to use and the tension can be adjusted. The QBS has a set length and as the joints loosen there will be no way to tension the blade.

So which will I carry? For the moment.........................both. I will be changing the blade on Maynman's saw and do some more comparisons. Once I have had more time and use from the saws I will do a full review with more exact results. I can say that Maynman's saw is far nicer to look at and hold and extremely well made so worth having. The problem is going to be making my personal choice between the two saws as they are quite different in some respects.

Might be a while to get the full review with pictures but it will come.
    John

Is the longer blade saw out yet, and how do I get one?

Default bowsaw

Hi folks
    I am going to be making some longer saws in the future so keep in touch.

I still have several 21" saws ready to go

maynman

why not just buy the cheep saw and use a bendy stick

Default Bow saws

Any chance of a photo? (of the folding saw not the bendy stick!!)

The links in the original post are not now working.

Thanks Peter
    PeterW3035

"there is nothing - absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
    Kenneth Grahame
    The Wind inthe Willows

Nigel
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Hi Nigel,

Are you selling these? If so what is the price ?
    Owners Club.

These saws are made by Maynman

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=261

You might want to drop him a PM
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    These saws are made by Maynman

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=261

You might want to drop him a PM
    Cheers Madge.

PM sent.
    Owners Club.

Default bushcraft bowsaw

I'd be interested in one of these too, but i notice maynman hasn't posted for nearly a year?

Chopper, did you try a sending a PM to maynman? Any idea if he's still making them?

I will give him a ring over the weekend and find out if he has some saws to send out.

Nigel
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

Definitely me too!
    Chaste Snow-drop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
    And pensive monitor of fleeting years!

Hi folks

No im not dead.

For all you guys interested in my bow saws, i have about 6 left to sell before i make another batch.

I will be making longer versions as well as these 21" models

The saws are 45 plus p&p

Thanks for youre interest

maynard.

Talking

Maynman,

One for me please! 21" is fine - how do I get payment to you? PayPal ok or a cheque (I could send you Scottish pounds notes if you fancy a wee challenge - they're still legal tender.)

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbyfraser View Post
    (I could send you Scottish pounds notes if you fancy a wee challenge - they're still legal tender.)
    Afraid not. Scottish bank notes are not, and have never been, legal tender, even in Scotland. The only bank notes that were legal tender in Scotland were Bank of England 1 notes and since these are no longer produced, only Royal Mint coinage is now legal tender. Given the current "banking crisis", to be safe all you Scots should take your bank notes from under your mattresses and change them into coins. Or deposit the money in a bank in which case the Bank of England will guarantee deposits of up to 35,000.
    Keith

Thumbs down

There is a ruddy good the reason that Scotland still has its own bank notes and the fact they are produced by our three historic banks. English banks couldn't be trusted (funny that!) to produce their own and far too much corruption existed so a central bank took over. Being far more responsible and honest, we Scots continued unabated.

Now I have a wee bit of the English in me and as such, things like this do not usually bother me but the next br down south that refuses our Scottish banknotes will get a muckle dose of Caledonian temper and I'll take my custom elsewhere!

Oh, and if an obscure point of law should make them "illegal", I'll stick two fingers up anyway!

Graeme,
    your vocational intrest in money is usefull I see

Ach, that's life - I hope I didn't offend anyone particularly Keith but yon is a sore point. We still get plenty of customers in our wee rural branch complaining that they have to change their money for going to England or abroad . It's got better in recent years and from what I hear it's worse the farther south you go. Personally I don't mind it all that much: changing my notes is a sign I'm going on holiday and that cannot be a bad thing. I just have a wee bit of a temper that I stupidly let light-hearted goading get the better of. Keith is right after all .

I'm still going to bring a supply of greenbacks with me next time I sortie southwards and for a laugh, see what happens

Anyway, I'm having me one of them there saws and a cheque will be in the post on Tuesday. I'm going to study it very carefully then at some point have a go at making a longer (24"/30") one for garden use but not as competition to Maynman. As if I'd be as good anyway!

Graeme

I hope I didn't offend anyone particularly Keith
    Of course not. But if you're ever down this way, it's your round (and you'll need to bring some real money ).
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    Of course not. But if you're ever down this way, it's your round (and you'll need to bring some real money ).
    Right then, Her Maj on Golden Coin....what's the exchange rate? I'll get the beers in if only to dispell the "tight fisted Scotsman" myth. Myth? And I want a shot of your Apache, too!

I'll get the beers in if only to dispell the "tight fisted Scotsman" myth.
    No need - I lived (stayed) in Broughty Ferry and Carnoustie (my eldest son was born there) for many years (long ago - before Scotland adopted more civilised drinking hours from England) and well remember my locally born friends would spend anything to try to make "the Englishman" fall over!
    And I want a shot of your Apache, too!
    No problem.
    Keith

Default Alive and kicking

Quote Originally Posted by maynman View Post
    Hi folks

No im not dead.

For all you guys interested in my bow saws, i have about 6 left to sell before i make another batch.

I will be making longer versions as well as these 21" models

The saws are 45 plus p&p

Thanks for youre interest

maynard.
    Excellent. Glad you all have managed to make contact with Maynard. I am quite keen to try the larger saw but have found my standard size one to be perfectly matched for the right sized diameter logs for a small forest axe.

Nigel