Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars and Canoes - a visual guide.

whats peoples thoughts on using just foam and straps through the doors?

im driving a nissan navar with a snugtob back on it, the back has roof bars so could take alot of the weight and make a secure mounting then was thinking foam and strap though the front doors to stabalise the front

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Evergreen Vomo 15 on a Ford Focus.

Thanks for showing us your bottom, Koen. I've always wondered what it looked like. It's very handsome.

dave

An AWD Previa under an AWD Discovery.

Default UK Police National Legal Database - FAQ

I came across a website today, the Police National Legal Database, and more specifically https://www.askthe.police.uk/default.mth . It is full of very interesting answers to lots of questions you may want to ask or had never thought of asking.

On the subject of overhanging load this is the current response:

"The maximum overhang to both the front and back of a vehicle (includes trailers) is a tricky matter. The overhang which you can have on such a vehicle is 60% of the distance between the foremost axle and where the overhang is to begin. So, the allowed overhang to the rear would be 60% of the distance between your front wheels and where the overhang is to commence. For overhang to the front, this would be measured as 60% of the distance from your front wheels to the front of your vehicle. Any measurements from the front wheels should be taken from the centre of those wheels.
    You should mark overhangs with a bright cloth."

The link is https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q748.htm?letter=A

Graham

Default heres a couple

Skoda Fabia + Discovery 158

Ford Fiesta (08) + Discovery 158

Ford Fiesta (08) + Nova Craft SP3

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

does mine count ,

Not without wheels!

Just for a short local trip

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sam View Post
    does mine count ,

Only if mine does

Pakboat 150T in an MX5

---
    This idiot got Redbaron into canoeing

MX5?? more for transporting kayaks!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamC View Post
    I came across a website today, the Police National Legal Database, and more specifically https://www.askthe.police.uk/default.mth . It is full of very interesting answers to lots of questions you may want to ask or had never thought of asking.

On the subject of overhanging load this is the current response:

"The maximum overhang to both the front and back of a vehicle (includes trailers) is a tricky matter. The overhang which you can have on such a vehicle is 60% of the distance between the foremost axle and where the overhang is to begin. So, the allowed overhang to the rear would be 60% of the distance between your front wheels and where the overhang is to commence. For overhang to the front, this would be measured as 60% of the distance from your front wheels to the front of your vehicle. Any measurements from the front wheels should be taken from the centre of those wheels.
    You should mark overhangs with a bright cloth."

The link is https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q748.htm?letter=A

Graham
    Based on that I reckon a few of the outfits pictured on this thread would fail (most people seem to have all the overhang at the rear of the vehicle due to the popularity of hatchback cars). I reckon this is another case of the law being an ass though, if your car has the wheels near to the front or rear of the vehicle which is the case on a lot of modern car designs (to maximise useable space between the axles) you're definitely going to be struggling to comply with this.

"The maximum overhang to both the front and back of a vehicle (includes trailers) is a tricky matter. The overhang which you can have on such a vehicle is 60% of the distance between the foremost axle and where the overhang is to begin. So, the allowed overhang to the rear would be 60% of the distance between your front wheels and where the overhang is to commence. For overhang to the front, this would be measured as 60% of the distance from your front wheels to the front of your vehicle. Any measurements from the front wheels should be taken from the centre of those wheels".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    Based on that I reckon a few of the outfits pictured on this thread would fail (most people seem to have all the overhang at the rear of the vehicle due to the popularity of hatchback cars). I reckon this is another case of the law being an ass though, if your car has the wheels near to the front or rear of the vehicle which is the case on a lot of modern car designs (to maximise useable space between the axles) you're definitely going to be struggling to comply with this.
    Not the way I see it, which is like this:

The distance from the front axle (red dot) to the point where the rear overhang starts (rear red upright) is 10 thingies. The maximum rear overhang would therefore be 6 thingies (!) You can see that the end of the canoe is nowhere near that distance away from the red upright.

There is no overhang at the front. If there were, I reckon it could project to the blue upright.

Am I right? If I am, it seems as if all the setups in this thread would be ok.
    I have assumed that an overhang is deemed to start at the end point of a vehicle, not at the point where the roof ends.

Here's another (pdf, not pfd) link which explains it all... still ok, though?
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehi...ngingloads.pdf

Sorry if this link has been posted before.

dave

Aero, I just read it again and you're absolutely correct and I'm absolutely wrong (as usual ).

Vauxhall Corsa with Venture Ontario and Apache 15'

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    Vauxhall Corsa with Venture Ontario and Apache 15'

And a Drascombe Lugger in the background.

Although, you wouldn't be able to tow it with the Corsa.

No Tow Ball
    Rob,
    sat in front of a PC dreaming about paddling

Honda Accord '04 Hearse, sorry, Tourer with Venture Prospector 15 on top.

A few things to note on this car.

Firstly, without the roof rails the Thule rack bars are designed to work at 70cm apart, though I've managed to get them a bit further apart than this. It does mean that the support appears to be a little close together, but its totally solid anyway so not a problem, even without front & rear lashing.

Secondly, there is no ideal place to tie on below the front bumber, so I added under bonnet loops on each side, made out of old rucksack straps & using the wing bolts (hidden under a removable bit of plastic). I use 6mm cord to lash the front to these using a trucker's knot.

Under the rear there is an obvious convenient central tie in point.

This set up is totally stable even at speeds I won't admit to travelling at. It reduces fuel economy by 10-15% on longer journeys.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Robinacanoe View Post
    And a Drascombe Lugger in the background.

Although, you wouldn't be able to tow it with the Corsa. No Tow Ball
    The lugger came from a chap who started ripping all the rotten sailing bits out of her and then realised he was only going to be left with not much more than the hull and lost interest.Sooner or later I'll get around to panelling her out and using her for a bit of fishing.

Default nice photo :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Honda Accord '04 Hearse, sorry, Tourer with Venture Prospector 15 on top.

A few things to note on this car.

Firstly, without the roof rails the Thule rack bars are designed to work at 70cm apart, though I've managed to get them a bit further apart than this. It does mean that the support appears to be a little close together, but its totally solid anyway so not a problem, even without front & rear lashing.

Secondly, there is no ideal place to tie on below the front bumber, so I added under bonnet loops on each side, made out of old rucksack straps & using the wing bolts (hidden under a removable bit of plastic). I use 6mm cord to lash the front to these using a trucker's knot.

Under the rear there is an obvious convenient central tie in point.

This set up is totally stable even at speeds I won't admit to travelling at. It reduces fuel economy by 10-15% on longer journeys.
    I was wondering whereabouts this photo was taken? I have found a few slabs of rock like that one up around stac pollaidh in Assynt and thought it looked familiar

Good pic all the same!!

Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    I was wondering whereabouts this photo was taken? I have found a few slabs of rock like that one up around stac pollaidh in Assynt and thought it looked familiar

Good pic all the same!!
    Its the parking spot behind a passing place on the "mad little road" south of Lochinver, just above Loch Buine Moire. We accessed Loch Sionascaig via this loch & this is the obvious put in. You're spot on about Stac Pollaidh!

nice one

There is another slab of rock on the road between achmelvich and ullapool as well that I have a pic of the car up on it - from a certain angle it appears to be about 8 foot off the ground - planning on buying a canadian canoe this weekend and will be heading up to Lochinver for 3 weeks in the summer - will need to keep an eye out for this passing place as a good place to take the canoe :

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    nice one

There is another slab of rock on the road between achmelvich and ullapool as well that I have a pic of the car up on it - from a certain angle it appears to be about 8 foot off the ground - planning on buying a canadian canoe this weekend and will be heading up to Lochinver for 3 weeks in the summer - will need to keep an eye out for this passing place as a good place to take the canoe :

cheers!
    It is indeed a good spot. As long as you like dragging the canoe across a bog before paddling

Hi folks, brand new here, first post and all that. I've noticed in some of the pics here that some folk have straps with hooks securing the front of the canoes to the bonnet. Can someone please advise me what those straps are, where I could find some, etc? Many thanks in advance.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by handlep View Post
    Hi folks, brand new here, first post and all that. I've noticed in some of the pics here that some folk have straps with hooks securing the front of the canoes to the bonnet. Can someone please advise me what those straps are, where I could find some, etc? Many thanks in advance.

Pete.
    They call them "Hood Loops" and there's a thread here somewhere.

(searching)

Found it:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...Loops&p=266219

Quote Originally Posted by handlep View Post

Pete.
    on our Micra the bonnet didnt lend itself to the bonnet loop approach so I looked under the front of the car and there was a perfectly placed bolt hole on a bulkhead under the radiator. Used some 40mm webbing I had in the garage (hole was hot cut with molegrips, a metal bar and gas hob) and a metric bolt to attach - super secure

Oh, and welcome, Handlep

Thank you both, Oarsnpaddle and Adrian, both very useful responses.

Pete.

Can also secure front and back of canoe to towing points that many vehicles now include

Thanks kmac, unfortunately my car does not have a front towing eye. However, I've looked under the bonnet and located two convenient bolts. Now, off to find some webbing.......

Pete.

For what it's worth I picked up 1 metre of 35mm wide webbing from my local market for 55p. Saves attacking an old rucksack that might still have some life in it.

Cool off to Loch Tay

Default Vauxhall Vectra + OT Camper 16'

Default Ford Mondeo & Wenonah Aurora

Genuine Ford roof rack

Not much room left on the rack! as the plastic feet area can not be used.

Default Vauxhall Insignia Estate

Vauxhall Insignia Estate with Vauxhall roof bars. These fix well and are very firm but not wide at all.
    The boat is a Sellway Fisher Waterman 16, so she is wide, this one is very heavy too. The two only just fit together. Note the boot can not be opened when the boat is on. This may be normal on lots of cars, I don't know, but its a pain!

Thumbs up Vx Meriva

Here's 'The Feegle' atop a Vauxhall Meriva.
    Halfords bars seem solid - have not used a front or rear strap yet, but will when I leave the island for longer trips and I will probably just use the front and rear towing eyes for this.
    I can only open the rear hatch about halfway with the canoe on top, but it's still useable.

Shawn
    My belt holds my pants up, but the belt loops hold my belt up.
    I don't really know what's happening down there. Who is the real hero?

Smile Esquif Prospecteur and Vivaro Camper (Bespoke)

Now I've worked out how to post pictures he is my Vauxhall Vivaro 2.5 turbo diesel Camper/Motorhome with my Esquif Prospecteur 15' 11" on board.
    The roof rack has a full width roller at the back to make loading easier. Probably not a good combo for those scared of heights.
    The Vivaro is the same as the Renault Traffic and the Nissan Primastar.

The camper started life as a van, I designed the interior and had it converted professionally - awesome result, fully independant with it's own power supply, water tanks, heater and shower - luxury camping indeed! Ideal for all those weekends/weeks away canoeing and kking.

Ray

Default You know your a canoeist when...

Quote Originally Posted by W5RAY View Post

Ray
    ...your canoe is in frame.

And your beautiful, custom camper van, "fully independant with it's own power supply, water tanks, heater and shower - luxury camping indeed! Ideal for all those weekends/weeks away canoeing and
    kking"

is not!

dave

This thread is a brilliant idea I am new to the site and we are going to be getting a canoe as soon as we can. I was wondering about how I would know whether a particular type or size would fit on our new model 4 door Corsa. I see several examples on the 2-door version on this site - so I think there wouldn't be a problem. I just think I might be a bit of a nervous driver with a canoe on top!! I suppose you get used to it though,

From my welcome thread - My L200 with a Coleman 166.

I didn't have a suitable lashing point to secure it to the front so I bought a lifting eye and backing plate for a couple of quid from Ebay and fitted it to the front bumper -

Ford Ranger with Bateau.com NC16, plus its two little cousins.

Pick-ups make great paddlewagons. The hard top lets me use a third roof bar for the canoe so it is really well strapped down along its length. Wet smelly gear stays in the back (and you can get a hell of a lot of it in) and the cab stays dry, clean and no worse smelling than its occupants. The green playboat in the picture fits inside if I want it to along with four or five kayak paddles. 4x4 is also a nice option to have on occasion.

One of the best toys I ever bought (after those on the roof and the river kayak that also lives up there sometimes).

Steve

2 16' canoes on an audi A3

Mad river explorer 16tt
    16' Apache
    Sevylor Hudson inflatable

My SF Wren atop a Fiat Multipla.

At last ! I worked out how to get images in from snapfish.

This is my home built 15'10" SF wren atop my fiat multipla. On this occasion I had help lifting it on to the car but I have managed this on my own since.

Land Rover 110
    Pyranha traveller 15ft (the green one)
    Wenonah Voyager 17ft (on top of the green one)
    Wenonah Itasca 19ft (the other one)

Scary in gale force sidewinds!

Default Old Town Guide 147 / Swb Volkswagen Transporter

this is our old town guide 147 on my vw transporter

I found an easy way to load a tall vehicle single handed - without rupturing myself!

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ht=transporter

i also modded the roof bar by bolting a steel block to each bar that the canoe's gunwhale hooks into. stops the canoe going wonky under the straps

and setting the strap outboard on the other side pulls the canoe into the block. Rock solid at 70mph

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good..."

Default Mar River 14'7" on a Toyota Prius with no roof rack.

Wife had the car with the rack, so I had to improvise with an old blanket.

16' Wenonah Adirondack atop a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Sportwagen. I think they call 'em "Golf Estate" in the UK. Thule 58" crossbars on the OE rails.

The car runs and drives great with the canoe on top. We got 37mpg on a recent trip to the Sierra's. It is only impacted by very high crosswinds, and then only when gusting. Steady-state is no problem.

Default Old Town Camper 16, Citroen Picasso

Here is my (at the time brand new) Old town camper, 16ft. On an egg. Or is it my Picasso?

Name:  DSC00276.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  65.6 KB

Jay
    It was like that when I got here...

Default 16' Venture Prospector on Dodge Caliber SXT

We carry it like this when towing the small camping trailer but move it forward about 18" when not.

Default Maiden Outing :)

New Canoe on its first outing beside the River Inver

The lakes in August.

Colorado for the wife and me and a sit on for the boy.

Here's my 16' Pyranha Prospector on my Land Cruiser 80 Series

Default My 15' Grumman on my ole' trusty Toyota FJ Cruiser

cheers from timmins
    tim

Make a cup of tea .... put a record on

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Patrick View Post

cheers from timmins
    tim
    Excellent - for when you eventually run out of road Planning to do a bit of off-roading myself to get to more remote areas to paddle - you guys probably have more room to roam than I do

i use a trailer as car roof to small

Default Drascombe?

Quote Originally Posted by thermokool View Post

i use a trailer as car roof to small
    Is that a Drascombe lurking in the background?
    Rob,
    sat in front of a PC dreaming about paddling

Quote Originally Posted by Robinacanoe View Post
    Is that a Drascombe lurking in the background?
    yes
    I thought you had to have one to also get a canoe or it it the other way round?

si

Default Eye spy....... or is it now iSpy?

I have a mind to print this thread on paper and keep a copy in the van, so I can tick off canoe/cars combinations as we spot them. Anyone else remember the old eye-spy series of books of trees/birds/planes?

Mark

Hi all.
    I can easily fit my Old Town Charles River to my mondeo estate, but wondered what speed it's safe to travel at. Anyone know if there's a recommended maximum speed for a car with canoe on top?

I have no problem travelling at the legal limit with my canoe properly secured, though I sometimes slow down if there are very strong winds. The biggest issue with travelling at "normal" speeds with mine (Venture on a Honda Accord Tourer) is fuel economy taking a hit, but I only lose about 10% over longer trips.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast