Thread: Toddbrook Reservoir

Default Toddbrook Reservoir?

I went to Toddbrook Reservoir in Whaley Bridge with a friend earlier in the year who knew about access but he's out of the country at the moment, so....

Does anyone know about access arrangements for Toddbrook Reservoir in Whaley Bridge?
    Last edited by Keef; 26th-November-2006 at 12:51 PM.

I did some work on Toddbrook when I was freelancing a few years back. As I remember, there is a sailing club on Toddbrook that the company I was instructing for paid to have access to the resi. I believe the sailing club are the folks to pursue to get clearance on the access if you want to float there.

On the other hand, you could turn up, paddle and enjoy a little responsible 'defacto' access. Its the only way to actively demonstrate that canoeists are capable of zero impact use of the water. If we tell everyone when and where we are going to paddle they are likely to be up in arms about it more often than not. But i have always found that just being resopnsible and discreet about the way in which i paddle has meant that folk are pleasantly surprised to find out you've been paddling somewhere for a while and they never knew it till they saw you! Obviously this has exceptions (300 a day fly fishermen spring to mind), but I think its a key way to furthering our access in england and wales.
    dog-dirty and loaded for bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I did some work on Toddbrook when I was freelancing a few years back. As I remember, there is a sailing club on Toddbrook that the company I was instructing for paid to have access to the resi. I believe the sailing club are the folks to pursue to get clearance on the access if you want to float there.

On the other hand, you could turn up, paddle and enjoy a little responsible 'defacto' access. Its the only way to actively demonstrate that canoeists are capable of zero impact use of the water. If we tell everyone when and where we are going to paddle they are likely to be up in arms about it more often than not. But i have always found that just being resopnsible and discreet about the way in which i paddle has meant that folk are pleasantly surprised to find out you've been paddling somewhere for a while and they never knew it till they saw you! Obviously this has exceptions (300 a day fly fishermen spring to mind), but I think its a key way to furthering our access in england and wales.

I like this approach to access,because of the laws of tresspass in England in order for it to go to court it has to be taken up privately [by the landowner]If they cant show that damage has been done to property in question--case dismissed.
    I have experienced this first hand and it always seems to be fishermen who believe that their litter is a fair swap for the price of a fishing permit

Default Toddbrook Reservoir

Hi Keef,

Access is ok as it belongs to BWB, assuming you are a BCU member.
    It is prefered not to paddle on Sundays as the sailing club often race then. The centres pay the sailing club for access to their facilities not access to the water.

Paul.

BWB say to get in touch with Toddbrook Sailing club as they have the SAILING rights (I'm not using a sail), Toddbrook Sailing club say stick some money in an envelope through the Water Bailiffs door as a donation to the club, I say don't park on the sailing club's land and use my BWB License that comes with BCU membership and to the sailing club, access should be FREE!

Here's to an argument!