Thread: Hand made paddles

Default Hand made paddles

Iíve re-listed these paddles for two reasons, firstly, I have a new paddle design I wanted to add and secondly, because we inadvertently broke the links to the photos on the original thread.

I have three types of deep-water paddle for sale each hand made to order, to the highest standards out of carefully selected hard wood.

The Malecite (on the left) is based on the paddles made by the Malecite/ Maliseet first nations people of south eastern Canada and the northern parts of Maine. The native people of this area were highly regarded for their craftsmanship in birch bark canoe building and paddle-making. Their elegant designs are of inspiration to the few master craftsmen that build birch bark canoes and native paddles today, such as Rick Nash, Francois Rothan and Henri Vaillancourt.

At first appearance the pointed tip to this blade looks fragile and prone to damage but while the blade edges are worked thin, the tip is left a bit thicker. This results in a surprisingly robust paddle that can be used to carefully push the canoe along in shallow water without damaging the blade tip while the taper of the blade still allows it to enter the water quietly when paddling in deeper water.

The ottertail (middle) is another elegant deep-water paddle design that feels very pleasing in the water and has, so far, been the most popular paddle I make.

The beavertail is a common paddle and almost every manufacturer has their own version. Mine (on the right) is inspired by paddles of the same region as the Malecite paddle described above. The long slender blade with fine edges make it a pleasure to use.

All three paddles are available with either a classic grip (pictured left and centre) or the Northwoods grip (shown on the right). The grips are carefully shaped not only to look good but more importantly to feel pleasing to use whether that's for a few hours or all day long. The paddles are finished with oil to give a very satin smooth feel that is less likely to cause blisters than a varnish finish and is also easier to maintain.

Prices are £85 each,made as standard with ash (other types of wood are an option but prices may vary) plus £10 postage to mainland uk. If you would like to order a paddle send me a pm (private message) and we can work out the details.

Tim

By the way, if you are interested in learning the Northwoods paddle stroke then check out this link
    http://www.redrivercanoe.ca/Using%20the%20Northwoods%20grip.htm

This site is also well worth a look as it is probably the best source of information and pictures of traditional, native and decorated paddles on the internet.
    http://paddlemaking.blogspot.com/

Stunning paddles. Very tempted!
    Think I may need to send back my 'just bought today' paddle!!!

How long would it take to get one made up and posted out to me?

Just before Easter Tim made a paddle for me but it was only last week that I finally got to use it in earnest on 5 wonderful days on the Harkan river system in Sweden (courtesy of ORCA Adventures).
    From the moment the paddle came out of the box it was obviously a beautiful piece of craftmanship, but I now know it is an absolute delight to paddle with!
    It is the most perfectly balanced, sliciest blade you could wish for and despite it's thinnes it is surpisingly robust and transfers power extremely cleanly.
    I am absolutely over the moon with my acquisition, highly recommended!!!

Caz

Sorry, Markv b, I've only just got your message. If you are still interested in a paddle, I can have it ready for you within 10 days of confirming the order and delivered within a further 48 hrs of reciept of payment. Let me know if you would like to go ahead and we can discuss the details.

Thanks for the feedback Caz. Sounds like you had a great trip and really glad you like the paddle.

Tim

Hi Caibach,

Are you still making the paddles? They look excellent - much better than the Grey Owl at the same price! I would be very interested in an Ottertail if possible, so long as you dont varnish it! I despise varnished paddles .

If you PM me I will send you my number so we can talk turkey when you have time

As I said, stunning work

Thanks

Sam
    Now an Old Town Packer

Still making paddles. I usually make them to order but I also have one for sale here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...624#post278624
    Tim

Hi Tim,

Should be ordering the jobbie we discussed about the 18th. Cant wait, a beautifull paddle to go with my new boat

Sam
    Now an Old Town Packer

I'm now trading as Edenwood Canoe Paddles, for more information you can look us up at www.edenwoodpaddles.co.uk

The website has only just gone live and may take a few weeks to come up on a google search, so until it does please use the above link or type the address into your address bar.

In time I will be adding lots more photographs and write-ups of canoe trips etc. but ultimately the aim of the website is to showcase our paddles, so if you could be tempted by a high quality, beautifully hand crafted canoe paddle at a very competitive price then take a look.

Tim

Hand crafted in the Eden Valley, Cumbria

Will you and/or your paddles be at the Welsh Symposium next month?

Its something I'm looking into, I'll post something on here if it works out.

The 'stand-in' says each one is a thing of beauty and wishes he had one or two. Though he still doesn't like the look of the Northwoods grip, great in use he concedes, he just hates the look. Having said that, one can't fault these paddles.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I guess the northwoods grip might not be to everyones taste, perhaps because it has never really been part of the British paddling scene, which is a shame as it makes the paddle far more versatile and as mentioned its very comfortable to use.

By the way, who is the 'stand-in'?

Quote Originally Posted by caibach View Post
    By the way, who is the 'stand-in'?
    He like TGB, likes to keep things under wraps. As to who he was at the meet, well other than being TGB, he measured one of his own paddles against one of yours and you said it was about a 32" shaft. He also mentioned that a friend's father had made a paddle with a Northwoods grip. That in use, it felt as a paddle ought to feel but he just hated the look. Is that any help?

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Ah, Ok I'm with you. Its nice to put a face to a name. If your ever in the market for a new paddle, I'd be happy to make you one with a classic grip.