Thread: New Stove Design

Default New Stove Design

I have been looking at an alternative stove design for a while, wanting something larger than a Nomad but still as light as possible so that it would be a practical option for backpacking or ultralight canoe trips.

I've come up with the design shown below which I'm calling the Trinity. This is the prototype in 0.5mm stainless being given a test burn in my back garden. I have made a few minor tweaks and have now had a couple cut in titanium which gives a weight of 450g for a stove that can take two or even three pans.

A single pan sits down inside the side walls by a couple of centimetres which helps transfer heat to the pan more efficiently while to use with two or three pans they can be positioned toward the corners. Each side is approx. 30cm wide and 20cm high.

It's not as robust as the Yukon and only has a thin single base so is perhaps not as environmentally protective as the Yukon so is not meant as as a replacement. As I'm looking toward the lightweight user I'll probably only make these from titanium for now: I also feel this metal offers the best performance at this thickness.

I have two of these for sale at a reduced price of 40 plus postage for folk to to try out. After that I'll need to put the price up to help recover the cost of the pile of metal shards on my shed floor and time spent scratching my head in front of the CAD program...

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

PM on its way

Well that was quick!

Both gone!

I'll make some more when I get back from the US in a couple of weeks.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

And let me know how my knife performed on this trip!

With Pics!

Alan L.

The new stove in action this morning: works great!

Default More?

Chris,
    Have you made any more of these?
    If so, how much are you asking for them?

Another question if I may.
    Where do you get your Laser Cutting done?

Cheers
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by morrismole View Post
    Chris,
    Have you made any more of these?
    If so, how much are you asking for them?

Another question if I may.
    Where do you get your Laser Cutting done?

Cheers
    Graham

Hi Graham

I have one more available currently. I'm getting some more cut but I am planning to take the majority with me to Canada if I can work out the customs system- it gets very complicated when you are the importer AND exporter! Maybe if I sell enough it'll help put me through college.

If you would like one they are 65 plus postage (probably a fiver by Special D).

my laser cutting is mostly done in conjunction with a small local firm though I go to Corby for the titanium cutting and unfortunately they charge real money!

Unfortunately I am now at the end of my batch of Ti and though I have manged to locate a few bits on ebay it is not as cheap and I'm buying small bits so there is more wastage. I think I have found some to make some Ti top plates with though so will have those for sale soon.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default New Trinity Stoves for Sale

Have finally managed to sort some of these stoves out for sale and added the paypal button to my website. I'm asking 65 which includes all UK postage and paypal fees.

I see them as a half way option between the Nomad and the Yukon. Light enough to carry even on foot but big enough to use a couple of pans instead of the one pot wonders I tend to cook on the Nomad. I'm impressed with how rigid the set up is despite the very thin titanium, though unlike the Yukon you probably would want to stick a 2 gallon billy can on top.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk