Thread: SOTP - The Book

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

Default SOTP - The Book

Suppose this should be in classificied but never mind

Due to a computer cockup I got 3 copies in the post today - the damn thing ordered 3 and despite cancelling 2 I've still got 3 (paid for).

So before I send 2 back does anyone want to purchace a copy. Cost me 10 (well 9.98) each, will sell for 10 and I'll pick up the postage. They come in the original packing - though I'll slightly open to remove personal order stuff if that is OK.

Don't you just love technology

I've bagged a copy

If you have one left I would like a copy please.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Journal Entries

It is a good price and anyone who does not have a copy should get one.

I'll move this tot he classifieds so people know it is for sale rather than a review.
    John

Looks like I'm too late

How about a link to where I can get a copy for that price

Wow - that is a superb price. Where did you get them from?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    Wow - that is a superb price. Where did you get them from?

Rich
    I bet he got a discount for buying in bulk.

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

sorry both sold.

I got them from an amzon store. I'd have to pay postage what ever so some might as well of got them for what I paid.

Hi Eds,

I have just been onto Amazon and had a look, I take it you got these through the seller in Southport, would you have a telephone number that you could pm me please.

I have been trying for months to get a copy, in fact i had just come on here to place a wanted ad and cant believe I was so close to getting one from you. .
    Last edited by Chopper; 19th-November-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Got a copy on Friday from Amazon for just under 10 quid + P&P

Journal Entries

Endless River (www.EndlessRiver.co.uk) have it in stock pretty much all of the time as do a number of canoe shops. Not sure of the price though and 10 sounds like a good deal.
    John

Journal Entries

Default Different Editions of SOTP?

There are plenty of places out there selling second hand copies of SOTP, but most are old editions (e.g. 1994). Unfortunately the latest 2005 edition is a lot harder to come by, and much more expensive.

Can anyone advise if much has changed between the editions, and if it's worth paying extra for the latest printing?

Cheers,

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Journal Entries

We have the 2004 edition, was there a 2005?

It is not substantially different from the 1994 edition, just a few extra comments and paragraphs put in by Paul Mason. If you get the older version I don't think you'd be missing too much.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

just ordered mine from amazon( xmas prezzie from daughter)
    nature is m X-box

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    just ordered mine from amazon( xmas prezzie from daughter)
    You might have quite a wait. I have heard a few people waiting months for the book from Amazon before eventually getting an email saying they cannot get it in.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    We have the 2004 edition, was there a 2005?

It is not substantially different from the 1994 edition, just a few extra comments and paragraphs put in by Paul Mason. If you get the older version I don't think you'd be missing too much.
    I think the main differences are bringing advice on equipment such as boats and stoves up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    You might have quite a wait. I have heard a few people waiting months for the book from Amazon before eventually getting an email saying they cannot get it in.
    Yep that happened to me. Waited 3 months or so from Amazon and then they gave up. Those nice folks at Endless River supplied one straight away, plus the other two books as well.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Default SOTP from Abebooks

Here's a real snip (at 458.16!)

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...0%26sortby%3D3

Not finding this too tempting, on Nov 19 I ordered a copy via Amazon from "Experienced Books UK". Only thing is, their order confirmation email admits they're in California and the book will be at least another two weeks to be delivered.

Mind you, the price was only about 8.50 including postage so I don't suppose I've much to moan about really??

I also ordered two CDs and a DVD from Amazon themselves at the same time as SOTP, each of which was described as "in stock" - and now I find out they might be here for christmas - or early January in the case of one of the DVDs. Yet if I'd taken the express delivery option they could have guaranteed delivery by tomorrow Nov 25th.

Past orders from Amazon of in stock items have always been sent off within a day or so of the order's placement.

What's happened to them?

Ian

Journal Entries

I used to be a real big fan of Amazon but lately I have been pretty disappointed with their service. Abebooks is good and very cheap usually but you do end up waiting for a couple of weeks for your book. I just got "Fire in the Bones" the Bill Mason biography for $0.49 plus postage so can't complain when it took 10 days to arrive.
    John

Has anyone in the UK ever ordered books from amazon.com as I see there are books in the US that do not seem to be available here.

Glad you finally got hold of a copy of "Fire in the Bones " MK.

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bothyman View Post
    Glad you finally got hold of a copy of "Fire in the Bones " MK.
    All I need now is the time to read it
    John

John,
    If you let me read that book I'll give you a signed copy of my latest cook book "Bones in the Fire"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gwing View Post
    Yep that happened to me. Waited 3 months or so from Amazon and then they gave up. Those nice folks at Endless River supplied one straight away, plus the other two books as well.
    Yes, happened to me as well. However, I complained and they gave me a 5 voucher, so that's some compensation.

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    John,
    If you let me read that book I'll give you a signed copy of my latest cook book "Bones in the Fire"
    When I am finished it you are welcome to borrow it.
    John

Ownie kiddin BigMan

ordered my copy of sotp on 24 th nov and received it today
    2004 copy from amazon i think it was from wickedwendi ( or something like that) a company in yorkshire
    nature is m X-box

Snap! - mine (from California) is now here too. (I've not actually seen it yet)

I got POTP from a UK supplier for just about the usual price (15?) and it came a couple of days ago.

A wee bit disappointed with the quality of the pix in POTP; apart from a short section of coloured plates, they're all pretty muddy quality BW shots.

BUT some of those locations & whitewater sections look like suicide sites to me!

Do any of the old hands here have any observations to make about hazards to watch out for if doing long crossings of open water? Mason describes how waves pick up when leaving a lee shore to cross a five mile wide bay, sounded pretty scary..

I'm used to powered craft where you can pretty much go exactly where you wish regardless of how contrary the wind (within reason) might get.

So I have to rejig pretty much all my thinking when such things are being considered.

Ian