Thread: 4 Star(But only Just)

Default 4 Star(But only Just)

Just completed a 4 star training and assesment weekend in North Yorkshire.The course started on friday evening at Bewerley Park < Pateley Bridge. There were 9 students in total and 4 of us are SOTP members, Troughing Dormouse, Ian Wiliamson, Richard and my self.

After a briefing and gear sorting session on saturday morning we set off to Sleningford for a Training Day. The conditions could not have been worse,the river was full of the nights rain and going like the clappers and the wind was gusting at over 30 miles per hour. But we were potential 4 Stars.So we hit the water to practise techniques poling was interesting but nobody swam.The river fell slowley all day as did the wind so by about 4pm the conditions were really good but it was nearly dark so back to the centre for dinner and a theory session.

After the theory session the coach took us all away for 1to1's and advised us if he thought we were ready for the assesment.

On Sunday the course split into 2 groups 1 for assesment and 1 for further training.Troughing Doremouse and Richard opting for training. While Ian and me took the assesment.

The assesment was carried out as part of a river trip on the wharfe. from Bolton bridge to Ilkley.
    I must say that i was not finding the weekend particularly easy as I have been sufering from a bout of Bloke flu (Like bird flu only much worse) and was not feeling on particularly good form, anyway we proceded with the trip down the Wharfe trying display all the required skills on route.My usually responsive boat felt like someone had put an anchor at both ends and I fluffed just about every manouver I tried, yes i caught the eddies but it wasnt pretty. We finished of at ilkley with the required rescues. and headed back to the centre for a debrief.Well as I thought Ian passed in fine style while I just scraped through. I convinced myself that if I could scrape through feeling as I did then I must have the skills required so feeling slightley disapointed in my performance I headed home for a hot bath and a stiff drink.
    Last edited by David B; 14th-November-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Well done a great achievement especially with Bloke Flu, as a kid I did my stars (up to 3 I think) but I guess I am going to have to start again some time soon

Well done, I have the opposite but similar problem, I always perform far worse when being assessed than I normally do, flu, injurys and hangovers give me something else to worry about so improve my performance.

It's true though, if you can hit the eddy when the boat and paddle feel heavy, and your eyes and nose are streaming, you'll hit it when you need to hit it.

Good job!

Dano, as far as I'm aware star tests are for life (not just for christmas). Don't let me put you off if you fancy going back to revise, but have a look through the star test stuff on the BCU site and just dive in at the level you figure you're at.

Well done David, hope you feel better soon. Send of for your badge, looking at that will make you feel better
    John

Default Well done Bruv

Well Done mate now I need to play catch-up . Mike B...
    You only have the one life so live it

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post

Dano, as far as I'm aware star tests are for life (not just for christmas). Don't let me put you off if you fancy going back to revise, but have a look through the star test stuff on the BCU site and just dive in at the level you figure you're at.
    that was over half my lifetime ago and it was in one of those other types of canoe I guess I am a beginner again

Congratulations David!

I never perform well under pressure (or when anyone is watching) whereas of course I'm perfect at all other times . Glad you manage to get through while suffering from Bloke Flu, I'm told it is a terribble affliction.

I have yet to get around to sitting any stars and possibly won't get the chance for a while (unless anyone wants to offer ), which means if I want to coach at somepoint I'll need to do some of those 'other water bourne paddling craft' stars too, by the time I get qualified.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    that was over half my lifetime ago and it was in one of those other types of canoe I guess I am a beginner again
    Exactly the same for me, stars were far too long ago and in the wrong sort of boat to have any meaning now. Maybe I'll collect a few of the right sort one day but I'm not currently attracted by the idea.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Well done David - I was thinking of you on Sat morning when the wind was wild - I'll buy you a drink - I'm working up to going through to Stockport and keep thinking how light your boat is - nice

regards

Andrew B
    Never get off the boat
    - not unless you're going the whole way.

I have yet to get around to sitting any stars and possibly won't get the chance for a while (unless anyone wants to offer )

Glenmore Lodge are always looking for 'guinea pigs' to be clients in Coach assessments. Check their website as it has the dates and details, of course you pay nothing.

Aspirant coaches are always looking for clients to log up hrs as well and they normally don't charge.

Nick
    Last edited by Scots_Charles_River; 15th-November-2006 at 10:50 AM.

well done
    looking forward to picking up some tips next time i paddle with you
    talking of which how about another yorkshire/notts/lincs meet in the near future maybe not till after xmas or possibly over xmas (guess who has no kids )
    a ww skills day springs to mind. t(otally selfish thought by me)

andy m

nature is m X-box

Well done - good job. 4 star is my next milestone if I want to get to level 3 coach before it all changes. I wanted to do the same course you just did (Richard told me about it when we did our Level 2 together a few weeks ago) but the dates didn't work out for me. Still I'll see what I can do in the new year - I'm feeling a littl e inspired after your story of triumph over adversity.
    Regards

SuperNova

Thanks for all the positive comments!

I have just risen from by sick bed as the Bloke flu turned out to be a Severe chest infection. Now I dont feel so bad about my poor performance.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Well done - good job. 4 star is my next milestone if I want to get to level 3 coach before it all changes. I wanted to do the same course you just did (Richard told me about it when we did our Level 2 together a few weeks ago) but the dates didn't work out for me. Still I'll see what I can do in the new year - I'm feeling a littl e inspired after your story of triumph over adversity.

Supernova; the guys at Bewerly Park are hoping to run another 4 Star training and assessment weekend in Feb. I'm looking to go back and do the assessment next time, although it will be bloody cold by then. I'll let you know when I get the details. Congrats to all those who passed by the way. I decided my lining, tracking and poling skills needed some more practice before taking an assessment and therefore opted for the training on the Sunday. A wise choice as we received some excellent coaching from Rob. Being mainly self taught it was great to have a level five coach identify some of my bad habits and help me become a more efficient paddler. I definitely leant more by not going for an assessment and opting for the training instead. Canoeing is far more than just bagging certificates!

Well done mate I had little doubt about you passing after seeing you in Derbyshire.
    Leone_blanco

Quote Originally Posted by LAS247 View Post
    Well done mate I had little doubt about you passing after seeing you in Derbyshire.
    so you are alive and kicking then lee for a moment i thought this old man had outlived the young sprout
    nature is m X-box