Thread: Handmade Knife Sheaths

Default Handmade Knife Sheaths

I was asked by a fellow member, if I could make him a custom sheath for his new Mora Miki knife. The leather sheath, that came with the knife was not very good and he wanted something a bit more robust and secure.

I hadn't done much leatherwork since last May, but I was ready to get started again, so I ordered up a Miki and got started as soon as it arrived.

These are what I've come up with:
    3.5mm either dyed through or veg tanned leather, 3mm welt.

left to right : 1 2 3 4 5

this shows how the knife sits in sheaths 1,4 &5; very deep and particularly secure.

While; 2 & 3 will leave about two inches to grab. Easier to get the knife out but obviously more handle to snag. The Miki fits these well but they will also take Clippers, just as securely.

From left to right; 1, 4 &5 are 'deep' sheaths. If you want absolute security, then these are ideal.

The other thing about these; is that they will also take Falkniven F1's, BG bushcrafters, woodlore/clones or Mora Clippers and training knives too, a fairly versatile sheath.

So; IF you want to change your knife in future, the chances are that you wont need to change your sheath ( unless you want to, of course)

All of the sheaths have a metal loop or ring for the attachment of a lanyard, drop loop or 'dangler' as well as a normal belt loop, which will fit up to 1 1/2" wide belts.

1; has a large, floating brass 'd' ring ( can be slid down the belt loop out of the way) it also has carved, "freehand" decoration, not to everyone's taste but unique
    2; has a fixed heavy chrome steel 'd' ring
    3; has a fixed heavy chrome square roller ( like you get on dog collars) and a very secure firesteel sleeve.
    4; SOLD
    5; has a fixed brass 'o' ring

All of the above are very robust, tight fitting sheaths, hand sewn with 70lb artificial sinew.
    1 & 5 are 'dyed through' leather while 2,3, & 4 are veg tanned, hand dyed. All are coated with carnauba wax and finished with kiwi polish.

All my sheaths are made to last, if they come apart, I'll replace/repair them for free.

I'm asking 23.50 each as they are, or 25 with a drop/dangler loop fitted ( all inc p+p)

payment by crossed postal order, cheque or if you prefer; paypal (as payment owed or gift)

post then pm to secure

cheers

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Default Number 3 please

I.ll take No 3the one with the fire steel holder please
    Also a drop dangler ,
    Thanks Noel

Default Number Two please

I was hoping for the one with the fire steel holder, but alas was beaten to it while I logged in at work ... d'oh!

Before I pay, could you explain what the drop dangle is please?

Thank you, Tim

Red face drop dangle

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been at work this afternoon and didn't get in till 10
    pms replied to and apologies to Nomad Rush as No.3, has already gone I'm afraid.

A drop loop or dangler is a loop of leather which fits through the metal ring on the top of the sheath and allows the sheath to drop below your belt line and pivot freely, when bending or in this case; more importantly, when sitting or kneeling in a canoe, paddling.
    The idea is to stop the sheath digging into your side.

The picture below shows a fixed dangler, meaning that it cant be removed from the sheath. It can of course, just be folded down behind your belt, if you wish to wear the sheath as normal.
    (Don't be confused by the belt, this was a matching set, I was asked to make for someone, a while ago now)

The example below; is of a detachable drop loop. this fastens with two brass press studs.

as you can see in this rear view; the sheaths have a normal belt loop too.

Anyway that's
    No.3 & No.4 SOLD

Hope this helps

all the best

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

I'll take No1 please.
    Hear all, see all, say nowt

Arrow

No.1 SOLD pending funds

Just No.5 remaining now.

regards

Steve
    Last edited by rancid badger; 27th-January-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Default No1 Gone

I picked up No1 today and a lovely thing it is too. Thanks Steve.
    Hear all, see all, say nowt

Default I'm a Happy Chappy!!

It was me who bought No. 4 and it arrived this morning. It looks even better in real life than it does in the pics above.

This a really well designed and crafted piece of kit and I thoroughly recommend Steve's workmanship.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Thumbs up final update

Thanks Alan (the fivers in the post!)

No.5 SOLD pf

so thats them gone I've also had a few orders, for sheaths too
    I'll be making a few belts and other bits and pieces, among my next batch.

Feel free to contact me with orders or questions, if I can't help you, I can always pass you on to folk who can.

Thanks all and best wishes

Steve

I picked mine up today (it arrived yesterday but it went to the sorting office as we were out).

I'm really pleased. The workmanship and finish looks really good and the information/instructions provided are superb.

One happy customer
    Support 1st Workington Scouts
    Shop@ http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/1stworkingtonsjsg