Thread: Pocklington Canal? What canal? I can't see a canal!

Smile Pocklington Canal? What canal? I can't see a canal!

Sunday dawned dry so we thought we would get a paddle in. Unfortunatly the bad weather of the previous couple of weeks ment that we had to repair the roof on the chicken run first! Chicken Licken thought the sky had fallen on her head!

We eventually got set off at lunchtime and went to the Pocklington canal at Melbourne Marina.
    The marina and its entrance were still frozen.

We set off down stream and after a few minutes we realised that we didn't get our portage trolly out of the car so I walked back along the tow path, so we didn't have to paddle past the fisherman twice more. (Walking along this bit of tow path is Not something I would recommend as a VERY selfish person had let their BIG dog use it as a toilet every day for a long time and not bothered picking it it up! Vile! ) Pete entertained himself by taking photos of the rather high water level while i tip toed through the dog poo back to the car. (Sorry- Rant over!)

We set off again and soon came to bridge number 5 which seemed to be suffering from the weather.

Just through the bridge we could see that a tree was down and across the canal. Luckily we could get past on the right. It was straining a lot of dead weed which made paddling rather heavy work.

Past the tree the canal was very still and still had a bit of ice at the edges.

Ahead we could see Gardham Lock and what appeared to be ice but could have been more weed.

As we got closer we could see that it was ice and we thought that we would have to turn round but as luck would have it there was a small cut for the extra water to go down where we could get out and portage round the ice and lock.

We found this at the side of the lock. Nobody was home. I think its a freshwater Oyster shell but I aint sure!

Our home made portage trolly worked a treat.

When we got to the lock we were supprised to find the water level the same at both ends but the view below the lock was great.

This photo is looking back to where we'd come from.

And below the lock this is the canal! Honest!

We paddled down the canal, I think, past huge flocks of ducks and swans and the odd goose or two a couple of heron and a rather pretty barn owl. Heading down to Hagg bridge if our sense of direction was right.

We began to see things we reconised. Things like our parking space, when we drive down to the bridge.

We realised just how high the water was at this point because our parking spot is normally about 6' - 8' above the water level and then we saw the bridge .

Through the bridge the water was moving at a fair rate of knots. This area is part of a SSSI and is flooded each winter but this seems to be higher than normal. Most of the tow path was underwater by a good couple of feet.
    This photo is looking down the tow path. I promise.

S.O.T.P shot down the tow path.

Having said that we had seen a lot of swans this poor little guy was one we could have done without. I think the bad weather must have been too much for him.

Getting late and we didn't want to have to put the canoe away in the dark so we headed back towards the car. We found an easy way to get the canoe out of the water to portage round the lock again.

The fields all around were under water and the water level must have dropped a bit as this field is quite a lot higher than the canal.

Back to the car for a well earned cup of hot chocolate and a chocolate bar each

Just a quick question. Does anybody know what this is ? It has solar panals on 3 sides and is next to a gauge for water depth.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy reading about our trip.

Excellent. The canals round me are still mostly frozen, despite higher temperatures.

Nice boat too!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

A grand blog with photos to match and bit more water than normal.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

loved viewing your blogg and love your self build canoe more each time i see it.great stuff

Great blogg, I've paddled over the same stretch in high water and there's good fun to be had.
    I'd suggest the thing with the panels is an automated water level recorder.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Default "Thing"

That "thing" might be a satellite gauge. We have lots of them in the States but ours are older and not so compact.

Default Can you name that shell?

If anybody knows what the shell is I'd love to hear from you A friend says it's a swan oyster but we can't find anything to back that up. Oh and thanks to those who suggested what the black thing next to the canal was. We thought something along those lines but it is nice to have others opinions.

Some might call it an oyster, but in the US we call them freshwater clams. There used to be quite an industry harvesting freshwater clams. Shirt buttons were punched from the shells.

South Wales, just about near enough to the Wye....

Default Best ply boat I've seen

I have to say that I am very envious at your trip out today; I haven't had the chance for months now, but I'm going to put that right very soon!

I have been thinking of doing a self-build for a year or more now, and although a ply boat would be far easier I just can't get over the extra 'something' that a cedar strip has. However, your creation has come tantalisingly close to convincing me that ply can look very beautiful; the lines are nice and it's superbly put together. If you don't mind me asking, what is it? Is there a www site I could go and have a nose on?

Would you mind giving me a brief review of it; what's the stability/handling like?

Thanks for the blogg!

Dan
    Humans need pack and paddle

Hi Dan,
    Our canoe is a Selway Fisher Prospector. Yes, the designer has a website and you can find it here http://www.makeacanoe.com/opencanoes15to17.htm#PROSP This link will take you the right page for our canoe.
    We have found it a joy to paddle partly because we built it It is very stable and tracks well has a bit of rocker so it turns without any problems. Neither my partner or myself have much experience of paddling so its a bit difficult for me to say how it compares with 'plastic' boats. If you want to look at our build blog you can find it here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...he-Storky-Bird
    If your ever up here in East Yorkshire drop us a line and you take her for a paddle if we're around.

Definately freshwater clam,nice blog,bet it felt wierd paddling where you usually walk.

Many thanks for the info. I've seen the Selway-Fisher prospector before, and just had another look at the site (with your pic on there!). I will have a think but I'm pretty sure this is the canoe I'll be looking at. I notice they offer it at 17ft too, which might be worth doing with my needs (either very long trips with a mate, or shorter ones with my family!).

As you have said, it makes a perfect trial run before embarking on a strip canoe. The only question seems to be polyester or epoxy.....

Thanks for the offer of a paddle in her too; who knows, I may take you up on it!

Enjoy your creation - it's a great piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
    Many thanks for the info. I've seen the Selway-Fisher prospector before, and just had another look at the site (with your pic on there!). I will have a think but I'm pretty sure this is the canoe I'll be looking at. I notice they offer it at 17ft too, which might be worth doing with my needs (either very long trips with a mate, or shorter ones with my family!).

As you have said, it makes a perfect trial run before embarking on a strip canoe. The only question seems to be polyester or epoxy.....

Thanks for the offer of a paddle in her too; who knows, I may take you up on it!

Enjoy your creation - it's a great piece of work.
    Hi, just bear in mind that 17' is very long to get onto the roof of your car. Our canoe is 15'8'' and on the roof of our car it hangs over rather a long way front and back. (feels like it's longer than it is though)

I think the legal max overhang is one meter.

As for the question of poly versus epoxy only you can decide. We used epoxy because of the extra strength and the lower fume levels but it is quite a bit more expensive
    As for giving it try, just drop us a line and you'd be more than welcome. The kettle is always on!

Ahh - a fellow tea drinker! I wonder how many cups is involved in a canoe build....

Yes indeed I'm no stranger to canoe overhang. We have a 16ft plastic Coleman at the moment, and have topped an 18ft Old Town, so just call me Overhang Dan. We drive a Mondeo estate which is nice and long so the overhang is not too bad.

Thanks for uploading the pic - it does give the canoe some scale when topped. I have to say it again though - it's a lovely piece of work. The details make all the difference too; a strop of nylon rope through the bow would have been serviceable but you've gone to the trouble of a nice piece of rope work with whippings etc. In case you ever wondered, it was worth the effort and it does notice!

Yes I agree that epoxy is probably the way to go; it just depends how fat or thin my wallet feels when it comes to finishing time, I guess. I did get sick of the stench of poly during the 80s and 90s with GRP work so epoxy will be a welcome change. There's a long way to go before then. My degree finishes in June, and I have a four or five day canoe trip on the Wye in July (must blogg it this time). Lake district in August, then before I know it summer will be drawing to a close, so I can look forward preparing the workshop for the birth of a canoe. Watch this space; your inspiration will doubtlessly see a similar boat emerge. If my end result has a finish half as good as yours I'll consider it a job well done.

All the best, hope to see you floating someday (in VERY similar canoes!)

Dan

A man. A plan. A canal. Pocklington.

Quote Originally Posted by ezwater View Post
    A man. A plan. A canal. Pocklington.
    My partner is a man but last time I looked I was definatly female!

Hi Big Drip,

Good choice of place to paddle. My youngest had his first experience of canoeing there. It's always a favourite for us.

When it's flooded like that it makes it sooo much easier to negotiate Gardham Lock, which otherwise has quite a drop between the pounds.

The shell is a Swan Mussel (Anodonta cygnea) and have in the past been commercially fished for because they can contain pearls.

Very nice boat!

Maybe we'll see you down there sometime.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by big drip View Post
    My partner is a man but last time I looked I was definatly female!
    Hey, I got the shellfish right. At this distance, one out of two ain't bad !

Quote Originally Posted by ezwater View Post
    Hey, I got the shellfish right. At this distance, one out of two ain't bad !
    Oh O.K. your forgiven.