Thread: Hammock underquilts/underblanket

Default Hammock underquilts/underblanket

Pertex 1.1 ripstop outer and Pertex ripstop microlight inner. This is a true 3/4 quilt. Approx 53" by 40". Over 200g of 800+ EU goose down. Black grosgrain edging on sides. Green grosgrain tabs for suspension. 75 posted.

Pack size

Loads of room in bag. Weight is just under 420g with the stuff sack and bungee suspension kit

You have a rough idea of the temperature and wind rating? I have a -30C sleeping bag but I fancy winter hammocking.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    You have a rough idea of the temperature and wind rating? I have a -30C sleeping bag but I fancy winter hammocking.
    Pertex is windproof. Stitching is nice and tight and you can't blow through the seams.

I have a similar one and have been now down to 0 deg C with it over the last few weeks. Thats using a rab 250 down bag and wearing merino thermals and a hat.

I used a Thermarest Z Lite seat pad for insulation under my feet.

Wind proof is good. I can go to 0C with my existing kit, what I am really looking for is the ability to go to -15C to -30C without a thermarest at all. It would probably work with my big arctic bag but I would feel safer picking one up if I knew it would work since I pay $1.65 to the 1.00.

I hear it is -18C in parts of france, you feel like driving over and doing a test run tonight?
    Lloyd

My rab bag is only good to 0 deg but I reckon I would be fine for another few degrees lower. The underquilt works like a sleepmat but more comfortable. It is as least as warm if not warmer than using my thermarest prolite 4 when I am on the ground. How low in terms of temp is very subjective. It depends on climate, metabolism etc.

The important thing with the underquilt is that the insulation is more than enough for your back as its not going to be compressed. Add your winter bag and your good to go.

I will consult my expert and get back to you.
    Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I hear it is -18C in parts of france, you feel like driving over and doing a test run tonight?
    It was -16 here in NW UK last week. I spent a while testing stoves in the cold, I did consider trying to hammock a night but decided against it.

Graham

Any chance of a full length quilt? My consultant reccomends full length for my local environment. I don't really know jack about hammocks. I am only good at sleeping in them.
    Lloyd

Custom sizes are not an issue. Pm or email me.

This one is now SOLD. Many thanks.