Thread: Building the Storky Bird

Default Building the Storky Bird

Ok so this is not the first Stitch and glue blog but if any of you are fancying a go at a building one it might be of some help. So first things first, the plans. We went for a Selway Fisher Prospector. A good all rounder that will do everything we want. The plans arrived at the beginning of October and we could not wait to get started. Wood was ordered and Janet made a start lofting the plans onto a sheet of MDF on her day off. At the weekend I got stuck in with a jig saw and cut some ply. It turns out this was my first mistake as jigsaws are a labour saving device designed by Satan himself. If you want them to go straight they go wiggly and if you want wiggly you get even wigglier! Any imperfections at this stage leads to a lot more fettling later to get rid of the dreaded gaps. (So tip 1 here is cut wide of your lines and plane up the last bit.)

Now comes the fun bit, the first trial build. (Tip 2 buy a big bag of cable ties) We did our first build up in the living room (As you do) one half at a time. Once built we marked each plank where it needed trimming. First time was very rewarding but showed up all the inaccuracies in the cutting. After the third or fourth dry run we had sore fingers and never wanted to see another cable tie again.

Right now it's time to move up a gear we are in a mates spray booth and need to look lively as he has body work queuing up. The planks are stained on both sides and joined together lengthways.
    Now for the real build with formers in place. (Tip 3 Cable ties are quick but where you need a bit more teddy (tension) use twisted copper wire.)

There are lots of ways to tape the inside of a boat. And two types of resin to choose from. We went for taping between the stitches, removing the stitches then a second layer of tape over. We also went for the Epoxy resin as opposed to the cheaper but smellier Polyester resin. The reasons for this choice were
    1. We wanted an exceptional finish on the outer hull. (with two layers of tape and the stronger epoxy on the inside we would not need tape on the outside just a sheathing of tissue.)
    2. The epoxy would dry to a good clear, harder finish in cooler conditions.
    3. We did not want to stink out our mate's garage.

The hull is upside down now and Janet got stuck in with the stain and the first coat of resin on the outside. Our first attempts at coloured, thickened resin filler involved wood stain. (We later found a range of resin pigments that worked better even though it looked like poo in the pot.

It was surprising how much more rigid the hull was once the hull was taped on the inside and sheathed on the outside.

Lots of sanding and layers of resin followed on the outside.

We decided on having built in buoyancy tanks (dry butty storage is essential) so front and rear bulkheads were fitted with holes for access hatches.

The next job was to steam bend the deck rear edge as we wanted this to double as a hand hold. Our chosen wood for all fittings was ash which is hard wearing, attractive and steams well.

We got well into this steaming lark and bent the stem and stern, inner and outer gunwales, and the deck trim/support strut.

With the inwales steamed it was time to fit them with their spacing blocks.

The bent stem and stern were bonded in place with thickened epoxy. (Not an easy shape to clamp this one)

How do you make a rope hole through your nice new hull without it leaking? Well it turns out all you need is an oak, kitchen cupboard door and some 22mm copper pipe. (A lot of debate, scratching of heads and a eureka moment involved here!)

A keel strip was added to link the stem and stern and it was time for some lacquer. Our mates queue of cars waiting for the spray booth was now round the village and he was keen to move the project on.

After lots more two pack lacquer and many hours flatting and it was time to bring her home and let Kev have his workshop back (Cheers mate, your a star!)

Of course the urge to go for a test paddle was great (see our blogg “Launch of the Storky Bird”)

Seats were made from ash to match and trimmed with dark green webbing.

Ropes were added and we were off!

Hope you enjoyed our building experience.

That, I say that, is a very nice collective of floating wood.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Cracking build, I'm contemplating doing the same in the summer (too cold over here in the winter).
    Cheers Simon

Gumotex Baraka

That looks sweet.
    You've just made it more difficult for me - do I go for a strip build or a Selway Prospector or....

Great build. I like the deck detail.
    Jim

Thank you for that: I'm impressed.

Mrs P and I built a stitch and tape Mirror dinghy years ago:
    Nothing like the quality of finish you have there.

Default To Strip or not to strip

Quote Originally Posted by Titus A Duxass View Post
    That looks sweet.
    You've just made it more difficult for me - do I go for a strip build or a Selway Prospector or....
    Hi Titus,
    We were torn between building a stripper or stitch and glue ply canoe. Being yorkshire members of the Titus family ourselves we went for the ply option (about £200 cheaper for the materials) working on the theory that if we made a hash of this first build we would have a less expensive pile of kindling. With this under our belt now we are going to have a go at a stripper next.

Quote Originally Posted by big drip View Post
    Hi Titus,
    We were torn between building a stripper or stitch and glue ply canoe. Being yorkshire members of the Titus family ourselves we went for the ply option (about £200 cheaper for the materials) working on the theory that if we made a hash of this first build we would have a less expensive pile of kindling. With this under our belt now we are going to have a go at a stripper next.
    I took the same route with the same reasoning, I opted for the Selway Prospector.
    Whereabouts in E. Yorks are you? I'm Skipton born and ex-Beverley.

I took the same route with the same reasoning, I opted for the Selway Prospector.
    Whereabouts in E. Yorks are you? I'm Skipton born and ex-Beverley.
    Hi, Good choice! we are near Driffield (also ex-Beverley and ex Scarborough).
    You should get some nice paddling done in you S/F prospector, when you get your canoe built you'll have to let us know and we could compare notes (or should that be boats?) Anyway, hope you enjoy your build and have somwhere warm to do it!

Anyway, hope you enjoy your build and have somwhere warm to do it!
    I have, it's only minus 8 in my cellar room

I have, it's only minus 8 in my cellar room
    It'll take forever for your resin to go off!!!!! Make sure you use epoxy as it will be a lot better for setting at low temperatures and it gives off a lot less fumes than polly resin.

Hi

That a very hansome boat you have there puts me at a delema, which canoe do I go for?

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Hi

That a very hansome boat you have there puts me at a delema, which canoe do I go for?

Sean
    Hi, go with what ever will suit your requirments. But remember that you need somewhere warm for your resin to set. And don't forget to post a blog

Can you break the costs down for everything, that is one cracking canoe. Im actuly jealous now, i want to thrown my ply wood in the bin and get more and start something like this,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mrxireland View Post
    Can you break the costs down for everything, that is one cracking canoe. Im actuly jealous now, i want to thrown my ply wood in the bin and get more and start something like this,lol.
    I'll try to remember...
    £42 (?). Plans
    £60 Mairine ply
    £120 Epoxy
    £60 (?). Ash (machined to our sizes)
    £1.20 cable ties
    £7.00 screw fix yatch varnish
    £120 Car lacquer and for the use of mates spraybooth to build her in and the use of all his sanding discs, orbital sander etc

Im not sure that all the prices are correct but they are close.

Ok so this is not the first Stitch and glue blog but if any of you are fancying a go at a building one it might be of some help. So first things first, the plans. We went for a Selway Fisher Prospector. A good all rounder that will do everything we want. The plans arrived at the beginning of October and we could not wait to get started. Wood was ordered and Janet made a start lofting the plans onto a sheet of MDF on her day off. At the weekend I got stuck in with a jig saw and cut some ply. It turns out this was my first mistake as jigsaws are a labour saving device designed by Satan himself. If you want them to go straight they go wiggly and if you want wiggly you get even wigglier! Any imperfections at this stage leads to a lot more fettling later to get rid of the dreaded gaps. (So tip 1 here is cut wide of your lines and plane up the last bit.)
    Lovely build!

Right, that's THREE design features I am stealing! I want a natural wood finish interior and exterior like yours. Your method of using short lengths of tape between the stitches, then removing the stitches then putting more tape down seems to give a good finish without all the expensive filleting!

I am also going to copy your seats and your inwales.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianp2000 View Post
    Lovely build!

Right, that's THREE design features I am stealing! I want a natural wood finish interior and exterior like yours. Your method of using short lengths of tape between the stitches, then removing the stitches then putting more tape down seems to give a good finish without all the expensive filleting!

I am also going to copy your seats and your inwales.
    It'll cost you!

I think you did a great job on this Prospector. I'm hoping to start (and finish)! one of these this spring... assuming I can get through my current workload and clear enough space in the workshop. I have a question about weight... I'm aware that different thicknesses of ply can be used but was wondering if you know what weight yours ended up being? I may yet opt to build with a 6mm bottom and 4mm sides, if it's viable. Jenna

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachik View Post
    I have a question about weight... I'm aware that different thicknesses of ply can be used but was wondering if you know what weight yours ended up being? I may yet opt to build with a 6mm bottom and 4mm sides, if it's viable. Jenna
    Hi Jenna, She's a heavy old bird but Im afraid i have no idea what she weighs. I know it takes two of us to lift her but thats ok because we never go out alone in her. When we build another we are going to build the whole thing out of 4mm ply, miss out the strips of tape and just use woven cloth all over inside and out, make the gunnels out of thinner ash and generaly make it lighter.

I'm just about to start building one of these, is there scope to put a third seat in? And what did you do instead of taping the outside? It looks fantastic, if mine looks half as good as this I'll be happy!
    Last edited by hevbev9; 12th-June-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hevbev9 View Post
    I'm just about to start building one of these, is there scope to put a third seat in? And what did you do instead of taping the outside? It looks fantastic, if mine looks half as good as this I'll be happy!
    Hi hevbev9, Thanks! And yes you can put another seat in, we did. I think there might be a photo on here of it somewhere if you do a search for 'Storky Bird' you might find it. If your using good epoxy resin you can do 2 layers of tape on the inside and just use a sheet of fibreglass tissue on the outside. If I can find the photo I'll put it on here.

Hi hevbev9, Thanks! And yes you can put another seat in, we did. I think there might be a photo on here of it somewhere if you do a search for 'Storky Bird' you might find it. If your using good epoxy resin you can do 2 layers of tape on the inside and just use a sheet of fibreglass tissue on the outside. If I can find the photo I'll put it on here.
    Thanks. Where the hatches for the storage compartment from? And the weeping for the seats?

Hi the hatches came from Kildare Marine on the dock side in Hull and the seat webbing was from an equine supplier on ebay.

Glad I finally found this blog - I've been lusting after your canoe since I first saw it on the SF site! Quite simply the best looking stitch and tape canoe I have ever seen, (and now I know how you got that lovely dark finish, the next tub I make will certainly be a nod to your "Storkybird"!!) Thanks for sharing your work.

Quote Originally Posted by thwartsandall View Post
    Glad I finally found this blog - I've been lusting after your canoe since I first saw it on the SF site! Quite simply the best looking stitch and tape canoe I have ever seen, (and now I know how you got that lovely dark finish, the next tub I make will certainly be a nod to your "Storkybird"!!) Thanks for sharing your work.
    Thanks thwartsandall, she's a bit unloved at the moment and has not seen the water for almost a year.

Many thanks v helpful beginning to feel a little more confident!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn cornish View Post
    Many thanks v helpful beginning to feel a little more confident!
    There isn't anything to be worried about especially if you have CNC cut planks. I wish we had gone that route because our build would have gone a lot faster.

Hi

It looks amazing, well done.

I've just started my Prospector and would like your advice.

1. I've epoxy resin and fg taped inbetween the cable ties on the inside, tomorrow I'm going to remove cable ties... did you fill in the gaps or one long piece of fg tape and epoxy it down?

2. Did you fillet the outside then sheath the whole thing with fg? If yes, what thickness?

3. How many coats of epoxy resin go onto the sheath?

Sorry so many questions... I'm doing it step by step off the internet, lol. Should have bought a manual.

Thanks in advance
    J

.... Should have bought the manual....

Freebies from those terribly nice WEST people https://www.westsystem.com/instruction-2/
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Cheers